• Show
Clear All

Re: Recruits

Another story from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Tuesdayarticle1.shtml

Husker roster cuts may aid Jackrabbits
    From Staff & Wire Reports

published: 2/3/2004

Smaller football programs in the region are prepared to capitalize on new Nebraska coach Bill Callahan's plan to cut the size of the Cornhuskers' roster.

Callahan has said he would like to coach a more "manageable" number of players. He has not said how many spots he would eliminate from the team's 170-man roster, but did indicate the number of walk-ons would be scaled back.

Logistically, two main benefactors of Callahan's decision could be South Dakota State and North Dakota State. Those two universities are elevating their football programs to Division I-AA this fall, the second-highest classification offered by the NCAA.

However, SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier feels area Division II schools will reap a bigger windfall. He said the talent level of many of the Nebraska walk-ons isn't up to the I-AA standard.

"At our level (I-AA), it's a different kind of kid we're recruiting right now," Stiegelmeier said. "None of us will beat Nebraska on a scholarship kid. Our guys we're offering scholarships to weren't interested in walking on at Nebraska. They were interested in playing at a higher level."

Augustana coach Jim Heinitz said he was surprised that the Cornhuskers' legendary walk-on program was being curtailed.

As to whether it will benefit the area schools, Heinitz said, "Who knows?"

There have been numerous success stories associated with the nationally acclaimed walk-on program that started in earnest under Bob Devaney in the 1960s. Six Nebraska players have achieved All-America status after initially paying their way to school, and many have been key contributors.

A great many walk-ons see little or no playing time, however. Though they can come from anywhere, the majority are homegrown Nebraska kids who grew up dreaming of playing for the Big Red and are willing to serve as practice meat in exchange for the chance to run through the Memorial Stadium tunnel.

"We've had kids over the years who we've offered scholarships to who chose to walk on at Nebraska," said Heinitz, who has coached the Vikings for 16 seasons. "It seems like every year, they've had some walk-on kids who have become good football players. It's like that at every program. Even though we like to think we're the greatest evaluators of talent, some kids slip through the cracks."

Wayne State coach Scott Hoffman said the Huskers' leftovers will find places to play.

"There are some awful good players who are at Nebraska right now that would be excellent players at the Division II level," Hoffman said. "My guess is that if some of those kids get cut loose, UNO, Wayne, Kearney, Chadron and Northwest Missouri stand to benefit."

There were four former walk-ons in Nebraska's 2003 starting lineup. As recently as 2002, seven starters came to Nebraska as walk-ons.

Go State!

Comment

Selling your program (USD) by pointing out the "perceived" drawbacks of another program (SDSU) only works for a few athletes. These are usually individuals who aspire for individual glory and early individual awards and can't see the "big/team" picture.

What would you do if you were trying to recruit athletes to Augie (3-8 in 2003) or USD (2-5 in NCC in 2003)? I can't think of any positive aspects for either of these programs accept the coaches ties to SDSU.

For Blake it is probably the scholarhip issue. Even with the scholarship, I wonder how much fun he will be having losing to teams like Upper Iowa (D3), Peru State (NAIA), Wisconsin-LaCrosse (D3) and Moorhead. At least he gets to play in the beautiful DakotaDome and live in stunning Vermillion. We must have better players in his position who deserve scholarships. I think we have to trust our coaches and scouts.

USD Football schedule 2004

Aug 28 at Truman State (Stokes Stadium, Kirksville, Mo.)

Sep 4 Peru State (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.) TBA

Sep 11 Minnesota State, Moorhead (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.)

Sep 18 Wisconsin-LaCrosse (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.) TBA

Sep 25 at Nebraska-Omaha * (Al F. Caniglia Field, Omaha, Neb.) TBA

Oct 2 Augustana * (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.)
      (Dakota Days) 2 p.m.

Oct 9 at Minnesota State, Mankato (Blakslee Stadium, Mankato, Minn.) TBA

Oct 16 St. Cloud State (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.) TBA

Oct 22 at Upper Iowa (Eischeid Stadium, Fayette, Iowa) TBA

Oct 30 Minnesota-Duluth (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.) TBA

Nov 6 at North Dakota (Alerus Center, Grand Forks, N.D.) TBA
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Every Jack fan should read today's article in the Argus Leader on how DI is effecting recruiting. The South Dakota kids seem to be real hung up on the competing for championships rather than competing against competition at the highest level. I like the attitude of the Jacks coaches and if there is a hint of arrogance so be it (Great). We are building a program that will be the envy of other instate schools and if kids don't want to be part of it go play at Augie or USD. Nagy confidently stated that it won't be long before SDSU will be able to have any instate kid that we want. This is the case of the Iowa and Nebraska's of the world as very few kids from those states turn down an opportunity to play for the elite programs in their state. We should be proud of those kids such as JaRon Harris of Sioux Falls Washington,Travis Devine of Yankton (just committed) and the Vanterpool kid from Huron who will play for the Lady Jacks that have stepped up and said we want to play for and compete against the best and we dont mind be the early adopters of building the DI foundation at SDSU.

Comment

Today's Argus article is kind of mixed reaction as far as I am concerned. It seems to knock the move to D1 and that South Dakota athletes dont have a chance at SDSU.

Hojer and dad have tried to put on a best face on their move to USD, but something tells me Dad Hojer has not been disciplined nor has son in building a savings account for education. When it gets down to the day before letter signing, the offer of more scholarship dollars kind carrys the day. Also USD is looking for a way to show up SDSU. What a better way by showing the choice athlete has chosen USD over SDSU, and that is possible by offering scholarship dollars. Chris Solari seems to love to point this out and its kind of redunant in detail.

I also recognize that Coach Stig and staff have been looking at videos, talking on the phone and making home visits since the last game. They have seen quite a few videos, and the fact that they only offered a walk on to Hojer kind tells me that the talent that they talk to may very well be better than what Hojer has to offer.

It gotten to the point where I really dont care what the Argus Liar has to say. Thats why you dont see me posting that long article on this board. I found the USD Drinking bust of more interest.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

It gotten to the point where I really dont care what the Argus Liar has to say.  Thats why you dont see me posting that long article on this board.  
            I agree with you 100%.  That is why I posted the "highlights" of the article rather then the whole thing (that plus length). When you look at the parts I pulled out, the truth rather then the spin, it is an informative story.

Go State!

Comment

Anybody know anything about Yankton's Travis Devine 6'2 200lbs 4.6 40. Interesting Jacks persued 6 instate players and offered scholarships to 5 and received 3 committments. Stig also indicated we have 15 committments out of 20 we persued. Look forward to seeing who these young man are.

Comment

Sounds like the coaching staff did a great job of targeting there recruits and then went out and got them. We be a great class....looking forward to it

Go SDSU....
                http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

With all the speculation about Tyson Descamps on this board about why he chose St. Cloud St. it seems he chose St. Cloud State so he could compete for a championship? I doubt that will happen at St Cloud but he can be assured he will be a big fish at a school that is most consumed with Hockey. I remember attending a football game in St. Cloud recently where the Jacks fans practically outnumbered the Husky fans. I think he will regret his decision some day.

Comment

If SDSU's coaching staff didnt think Hojer was good enough to offer a scholarship to, its probably good he chose another school. It's not like he chose to play at the U after being offered a scholarship from STATE. Whats with the Argus and Hojer? They made it sound like both U Iowa and SDSU were salivating to get this kid, If we didnt offer a scholarship, Iowa certainly didnt. I guess it would have been nice to get a freebie walk on but I'm sure we will get plenty of D1 calibre athletes to proudly wear blue and yellow over the next four years. If these SD kids are leary of playing D1 sports.(basketball/football) Its a case of 1. Bad parenting/advising of coaches or 2. an Inferiority complex about their own abilities
                    I want SDSU recruiting kids that have the confidence and swagger (Jaron Harris) that think they can compete at our level. To hell with the rest of them!

Comment

• Re: Recruits

I found this mission statement on Colgate's website and changed it to fit SDSU. Credit to Colgate for the majority. I like the statement and think it fits SDSU. The italicized portion should include "intense competitive challenges are much more available at the DI level than the current or future DII level."

The goals of SDSU's athletic programs are to promote a commitment to a high standard regarding health and fitness; to support social and recreational interactions; to offer students the opportunity to develop athletic skills; and to provide intense competitive challenges for the athletically-motivated student population in an equitable manner. These goals are achieved through NCAA Division I athletic participation and a wide range of sports and leisure activities designed to stimulate interpersonal exploration, mutual understanding, discipline, dedication, social responsibility and personal growth.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Well said......We have to be proud of the young men that come from our program years from now also

Go SDSU....
                        http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Very well put. I think for the South Dakota kids this will be a gradual evolution. Some will want to jump right on board and be part of history, while others want to go somewhere they can play immediately. It will take us time to develop the tradition and success we enjoyed in the NCC and DII. I don't want to tear down DII as it was very good to us for a long time. With that said, I don't think winning an NCC Championship will have the same meaning without UNC,NDSU or SDSU in the conference. It was a blast winning the Women's National Championship last year but look at some of the teams we played Bentley,Northern Ky etc. Are those the kind of schools we should be measured against both athletically and academically? I believe we will get the same thrill and more winning a conference championship once we land a conference, playing in the DIAA Football playoffs and finally playing in the NIT or just getting to the BIG Dance!

Comment

Here's some good news (and perhaps bad news). I saw an article about Tyler DesCamps and he said that SDSU came in late with a small scholarship offer.

The good news is that if SDSU had wanted him, they probably would have got him. I'm guessing SDSU's staff was happy at RB and decided to go after more pressing needs.

The bad news is that it's never popular when a local kid gets away.

Comment

Just spoke with the Family. First off, they are horrified that the Argus Leader took a few old quotes and used them in a way to reflect bad on SDSU. SDSU's offer was large, but Coach E. wasn't 100% on board and the DesCamps didn't want to rock the boat. They love SDSU but figured it would be best not to rock the boat. They couldn't say any of this publically. After Coach E. left, SDSU tried very hard to sway Tyson , but he had already given his word. The DesCamps are looking foreward to St Cloud, but they still have nothing but great things to say about us, if it were not for Eidness, Tyson would have never visited any other school. I just got off the phone with Bill DesCamps, Tyson's dad.

Comment

Can anyone from Brookings go to the football office and report back to us the LOL's as they arrive by fax??

Comment

Working...
                                X