Editorial in Today's Argus Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Editorial in Today's Argus Leader

Who the heck is Matt K. Althoff and what rock has he been hiding under. How does dropping North from North Dakota's state name in any way tie into SDSU moving to DI. Are we in some way "tricking" poeple into thinking we're better by moving to DI as a state named "Dakota" could trick travelers into coming for a visit.

The move is about exposure, competition, and striving for the best in everything a university does, not just college athletics. Athletics is just one avenue to get those things. And oh by the way Matt K. Althoff, your tax payer dollars won't go toward any trips to the West Coast. In case you don't read the Argus, or listen to the radio, or watch TV, the board of regents isn't allowing any increase in state funds for SDSU's athletics. Doesn't matter as Sid Bostic is well on his way to $20 million for scholarships as the believers are opening their pocketbooks whole-heartedly. Matt K. Althoff feel free to send your donation now to the Jackrabbit Club so that you can say you were with us from the start rather than waiting ten years and jumping on the bandwagon.

Comment

Some info from the Yahoo white pages. Just trying to be helpful. I wouldn't recommend contacting these guys but the info is public.

Matthew Althoff

2333 S Woodbine Ln
      Sioux Falls, SD
      (605) 221-0431

Kurt E. Kemper

1314 S Phillips Ave
      Sioux Falls, SD
      (605) 338-1986

Comment

Originally posted by Buster
        There's also this from the online edition of the Argus.
        ---
        Matt K. Althoff
        Sioux Falls

published: 3/18/2004

When the administration of South Dakota State University first pitched the idea of moving to NCAA Division I, it cited a desire to cast its institution in a light that will bring greater recognition and, therefore, broader student appeal. Surely we all agree that the ends are admirable. The means, however, are both perplexing and costly.

When the North Dakota Chamber of Commerce suggested dropping North from its state name, hoping to eliminate a stereotype, not a soul could find a way to rectify North Dakota's geography that is undesirable to potential travelers. South Dakota State University's move is no different.

The Great West conference does not pave the way for nationally known powerhouses to play in Brookings. Schools in similar situations, hundreds of miles away, will not fill Jackrabbit stadiums. ESPN will not cover their contests any more than it already does. The ends will not be achieved without cutting off revenues through eliminated regional rivalries and, therefore, placing additional burden on taxpayers as we subsidize plane rides to the West coast.

Stop the move.

---

First let me say that we should not contact these two.  They are entitled to their uninformed opinions.  That being said let me point out were Matt's logic is flawed.

He is right about one thing that the Great West was not needed to bring in "nationally known powerhouses", Dr. Oien had done this before we joined the Great West.  We have a home and home set up with Georgia Southern.  They are coming to Brookings in 2005.  You can't really get a bigger nationally known powerhouse in I-AA then the Eagles.  They have won 6 national titles since 1985, last one was in 2000.  GSU opens this coming season by playing the Georgia Bulldogs latter on in the season the Jackrabbits come to town.  I think we are in good company.

http://athletics.gasou.edu/football.html

If Matt is talking about having Minnesota, or Notre Dame come to town, then he knows nothing about NCAA athletics and he is embarrassing himself and I feel sorry for him.  :-[

He next talks about not being on ESPN as if they are the only sports outlet in the whole world.  Many I-AA games are on TV every week of the season.  Some on ESPN, Fox Sports Net, and others.  Many of SDSU's games next season have a chance at being on TV and not just on KELO or KSFY.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=40408

or: http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1078191476

Lastly he claims to be worried about "our" tax dollars being spent to subsidize plane rides to the West Coast.  Here too he misses the mark.  Controlls are in place to make sure we don't spend any of the "State's" money for the move to D-I.  He provides no proof to support his claim or refute the facts.  If he wants to see where South Dakota has spent tax dollars to support an Athletic program he need look no further then the Grain Bin in Vermillion.  The State just GAVE them $ 5 million dollars to put a new roof on the Dakota Dome.  SDSU raised $5 million dollars on its own to build a Wellness Center and the State was nice enough to let us spend our money.  So don't even start the "tax payers are going to have to bail SDSU out" nonsense.

Face it Mr. Althoff is ignorant of the facts.  He did not let that stop him from making himself look foolish.  I think you can chalk this guy up to D-I envy.  As jackmd put it, "after all it is jealousy that underlies the feelings expressed by those oppossed to SDSU's move.  

Sure, there are feeling of inadequacy and inferiority also, but you can't blame us (SDSU supporters) for that.  As a former first lady once said:

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."  
        Eleanor Roosevelt 1884-1962, American First"

So don't harass these poor souls, have pitty on them and the schools they support.

Go State!

Comment

It's within our power to respond with facts about the move. If the criticism of the Argus is that they print everything, then let's take advantage of it by responding with intelligent, concise replies. And based on the grammar, spelling and punctuation I'm reading here, let's let somebody proofread that baby before we send it off.

Comment

Originally posted by luvthosejacks
            It's within our power to respond with facts about the move. If the criticism of the Argus is that they print everything, then let's take advantage of it by responding with intelligent, concise replies. And based on the grammar, spelling and punctuation I'm reading here, let's let somebody proofread that baby before we send it off.
            I nominate you as our editor, luvthosejacks. From this point forward it is your sole responsibility to review and edit all posts, correcting grammar and language as necessary. You will not be allowed to comment on content or context. Most of your replies and posts contain nothing helpful and are often slanted against the Jacks so we won't miss them in the least. Have fun.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Wow.....I've suggested we respond with concise letters and advise folks to proofread their stuff so that we don't look like fools, then I'm told you don't want to hear what I have to say. I didn't mean to get anyone worked up. I do think, though, that the better-crafted our message is, the better it will be for SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by luvthosejacks
                Wow.....I've suggested we respond with concise letters and advise folks to proofread their stuff so that we don't look like fools, then I'm told you don't want to hear what I have to say.  I didn't mean to get anyone worked up. I do think, though, that the better-crafted our message is, the better it will be for SDSU.
                Only I suggested that we don't like what you have to say. I should not have spoken for others. To clarify, based on some of your previous posts (Fred Oien issue, whether later retracted or not) and your more recent post criticizing some of the "founding fathers" of this board I felt a need to reply. I don't get "worked up" over issues as petty as your opinion of someones grammer on an internet opinion board. Please don't consider someone a fool based on their type-written word in a forum such as a chat room or internet board.

This site is primarily for SDSU fans and supporters of the universities decision to move up to DI. Fortunately, (in my opinion) there are also those SDSU "fans" (if you want to call them that) oppossed to the move and individuals who support other institutions who frequent this site. Unfortunately, they waste a lot of time "bashing" SDSU the institution, the athletes, the alumni and the administration.

I personally don't see a need for perfect grammer on this site. If you can make your point, thats all that matters. Certainly, this doesn't apply to a more formal form of written text but I don't think anyone is asking for any of the posts here to be published. That said, luvthosejacks, you are entitled to your opinion and please continue to provide it.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

jackmd,

you can speak for me also on this issue.  I have my doubts as to luv's allegiances. :

Go State!

Comment

Looks like Mr. Althoff attended Notre Dame, and graduated not too long ago, so I imagine he doesn't want the local yokels getting uppity thinking we can have a Division I University here that local folks who aren't trust-fund babies can go to affordably. Not sure exactly why he feels he has an axe to grind, perhaps he hasn't overcome yet his feelings of superiority. Of course, it's people like this, people having no connection to the University, having never attended, never donated, nor expect to donate that squawk the loudest. God blessed us with President Miller and Fred Oien, thank goodness.

Comment

Amen to the above post. I agree there are a lot of people who are moving into Sioux Falls from out of state who do have the superiority complex you are referring too. My hope is they will jump on board the Jacks bandwagon rather than take shots. While I'm also a Nebraska football fan it would be nice if those folks left there red at home when they attend a Jacks game.

Comment

Matt Althoff, the writer of the letter says, "(the additional travel will be) ... placing additional burden on taxpayers as we subsidize plane rides to the West coast."

To this I say, "Taxpayers, schmackspayers!"

The writer has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. When SDSU requested the Board of Regent's approval to go DI, the Regents came back and said under no condition might additional state money be used. That in itself shuts down Mr. Althoff.

Further, the taxpayers of South Dakota have a major bargain going with respect to higher education in this state. SDSU continues to lead all colleges with respect to digging for private dollars. When buildings go up on this campus, they are paid for by private dollars. When buildings need renovations, those are paid for with private dollars. When we look for South Dakota kids to fill our classrooms and bedrooms, private dollars attract them by virtue of scholarships given by donors. As the athletic program enters a new era, it is private dollars that will make it possible.

In the meantime, people like Mr. Althoff can go around and groan about taxpayers. Well, SDSU is one place where people have taken it upon themselves to make this place attractive. While he piddles at his desk writing letters there are people at SDSU working overtime to get dollars to make this an outstanding university. And guess what? The alumni faithful come through every time because they care.

Isn't that a hell of a concept?

Comment

Is anybody sending in responses to the Argus Leader?

Comment

Working...
                          X