Spring Practice Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Practice Reports

WNAX has broadcast the spring game for the past few years and its really an interesting broadcast since Coach Stig does the color along with Jerry Oster. You learn a lot about individual players from the sidebar comments that are never in the media guide. I dont know if this is planned again this year. I will be traveling on the 24th so will be out of the area, but maybe someone should call the station to see if its being planned again this year.

Comment

For those who need a douse of Jackrabbit Football. . .Don't forget the Spring Game is tomorrow and you can listen live!

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/broadcasts/index.cfm

Go State! ;D

Comment

I look forward to what Stig has to say but Jerry Oster is the worst commentator I've heard. He needs to go!

Comment

Coach Stig had some interesting things to share at half time.  He said that of the new coaches Karl Ballard (D coordinator) has had an easier time because he is putting in his own system.  Daren Wilkinson (O coordinator) is learning our system.  Daren Wilinson is the pass game coordinator, Luke Meadows is the run game coordinator.  Coach said that the man in the both will be calling the plays (Daren) but the game plan will be put together by both.

When asked what the challenges would be as we move up to I-AA and in to the Great West, Stig had more to say.  He said getting to know the teams would be a challenge.  He said the coaching staff would be watching a lot of film.  He said that travel would be a challenge and that the team needed to understand that it is going to be "a way of life".  You get on a plane and go win the games.  Another challenge would be the speed at I-AA.  The other teams are going to be faster then what we are used to.  He thought none would be bigger, just faster.  Coach said that this years O-Line will be lighter but more athletic then last years.

When asked what the team/coaches would be doing until next fall, Coach said that 50 or so players would be staying in Brookings and working on conditioning.  He said the coaches would be doing a lot of traveling.  Stig said that we are expanding our recruiting area and so there are a lot of new HS coaches to get to know.

When asked what positions concern him, he said DBs and Offensive tackles because of graduation.  Coach also said that this year they are going to try and put more of the game in Brad Nelson's hands.  Which I think is a great idea.  Brad is a heady kid.  

Comment

At the end of the spring game the defense dominated the day.  Coach Stig said they looked better then he expected.  Coach said the offense will be wide open this season.  Even though he is a, 3yds and a cloud of dust guy,  he feels the team needs to be wide open to win.  He said the D will be more aggressive this season.  He said the D wants to dictate the flow of the game.  He is excited about the scheme and the players.  Lastly he said there will be an 11th game.  SDSU is hopping for a home game on Sept. 25th, and it will be Hobo Day if they get it filled, but they will take a road game if that is all they can get.

Good Luck to the team as we enter I-AA. Lets win the First ever Great West Championship!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
            X