Montana State game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Montana State game

I know this is off topic, but I thought I'd add to SDSUFAN's comparison of MSU's golf event/fan support to the Stan Marshall and SDSU's fan support.

Stan Marshall (not counting celebrities)
    AM Group - 16 groups x 5 per = 80
    PM Group - 30 groups x 5 per = 150
    Total = 230

I've helped with these events a little so I know how hectic it can be to put this many people on a golf course.

Good thing is our fan base shows up pretty good for a golf outing. Factor in another 300-400 at the auction and you've got a pretty fair following for our little neck of the woods.

Anyone heading out to the Montana State game. Never been to the Montana State campus, but I was part of the 1993 game in Mizzoula versus Montana. If Montana State's campus is in half the setting Montana's is it will be quite the experience.

Comment

I was at the Volga outing yesterday.  The attendence was down from prior years and dont know what it means. We had a great time though.  The football staff was busy with a camp so none of them were able to be part of the golfing.  Dr Oien and Keith Melhum are still in  at the AD conference from what I understand, so they were not at it either. I think too with Stan Marshall Golfing expansion of AM and PM may have affected the outing in Volga. Those who previously did not get to golf at Stan Marshall would show up at the Volga outing and others near Brookings. This factor caused me to show up at my place of birth for golf maybe five years ago.

Yes Volga did once upon a time had a hospital. I was not born in the barn. ;D

After the evening meal Aaron Johnston and Scott Nagy spoke about their programs.  There are still some loose ends on completing the schedule.  One good source said that 22 of 28 games for the men schedule were complete and coach mentioned during his talk that they had 9 home games locked up and were looking for more and that what needs to be completed.

Coach Nagy indicated that recruiting, he did not feel he would have any problems getting quality kids out of South Dakota.  He mentioned  that there appears to be some poison in the air about SDSU going D1 and not being able to play for a national championship for five years, but he also said those recruited in the 2005-2006 season will have the opportunity to play for a national championship. Coach also said that going D1 help land Green, Wenning, Beran and Loney.
      Also has help in this years recruits. He said we will appreciate the better basketball programs that will come to Frost in next few years. Butler is coming 2005-06 season.

Both coaches mentioned the negativity about going D1 particularily in South Dakota and this status quo attitude that seems to affect recruiting right now.  Coach Nagy said he was thankful that Fred Oien had the vision to make the move to D1 and that 15 to 20 years from now we will be grateful for his vision.

He also said that the other state institutions are very nervous about SDSU moving to D1.  Also speaking before Coach Nagy, was Giner Thompson now of the SDSU foundation.  Ginger and her husband own TV productions that produced the Mike Daly and John Stiglemeire show.  
      Ginger promoted the Jackrabbit Guarentee program that gives scholarships to students with ATC scores of 24 or more and that the number of those with 24 ATC scores has nearly doubled and numbers 2000. Those alums who not real fans of sports, have a great opportunity to give back in the Jackrabbit Guranentee program.

This factor is going to help SDSU in athletics and general enrollment.  Coach Nagy mentioned that going D1 studies indicate that the move may draw more students and not less.  This is the part that has got the other adminstrators in a tizzy in South Dakota

Though a small group, it was a lot of fun.  Another golf event is scheduled in Yankton on Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll_Guy
        Anyone heading out to the Montana State game.  Never been to the Montana State campus, but I was part of the 1993 game in Mizzoula versus Montana. If Montana State's campus is in half the setting Montana's is it will be quite the experience.
        Yes I remember that game, their facility and the Missoula community. A great place to live if you love hunting and fishing. I wish we could have hung on to win, like the Bison did this year.  That would have been a big win.

Its a tough place to play, and Jacks just flat out played the Grizz for better than 3 quarters.  If I recall we had a 38-7 lead at one point, but then the ugly bear woke up and kind of shell shocked our Jacks who where showing some fatigue. Jeff Wolmgatt had made some neat stops and got hurt real bad.

I think this was a case where depth played a big part.  I dont know who on the Griz squad made the big plays like blocked punts etc, but they may have been second on the depth chart and probably were very much a starter anywhere else but at UM.

I recall going through Bozeman on the way to Missoula. It is smaller than Missoula and maybe more like Brookings than Missoula was.  Both are great places to visit as is the entire state.

If go over to egriz message board, this game has come up once or twice as a fear factor.  Many of the Griz fans left the game and were surprised with the final outcome.  I hope our guys can show the courage that Catchem all Guy and the rest of the 1993 squad showed in nearly winning that game. I believe 1993 that was one of the few recent years where we defeated both UND and NDSU and came close winning the NCC.

Comment

If I recall correctly we should have made the playoffs that year, but Augie stole our spot with a win over Southwest Minnesota State.  >  However those D-II days are history now.  Time to focus on bigger and better things, like beating some high caliber OOC foes (Montana St., Georgia Southern), winning a GWFC championship this fall, and the I-AA playoffs in '08!

Go State!  ;D

Comment

What hurt us in '93, was a loss to USD at the Monument to Stupidity (this is what then Attorney General Bill Janklow called the DakotaDome).

I hate to bring this up but there is a point to be made here. The game was in late October. With less than a minute and a half left in the game, USD scored a touchdown to make it 27-7. They lined up for the extra point and then ran it in for a two point conversion. Final scored was USD 29 and SDSU 7.

It was Dennis Creehan's, USD's head coach, (was a finalist for the SDSU job in 1990 when Mike Daly was hired) way of rubbing it in our face. Creehan's claimed there was a miscommunication with the players on the field.

There was no miscommunication. It was an absolute classness thing to do. I had an "out of body experience" at that moment and I have not been in the dome since that day.

Comment

SDSU Fan- did Nagy indicate if they are still trying to land some more players for this coming season?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                SDSU Fan- did Nagy indicate if they are still trying to land some more players for this coming season?
                Jackguy:

I had Troy Larson in my golf group for 9 holes, and he told me that there are two scholarships to fill. Coach Nagy mentioned that too. Coach Larson said, they were close on one, but that is all I dare post. Either we will hear something offical or the hunt will still be on.
                One way or another the two will be filled.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                  If I recall correctly we should have made the playoffs that year, but Augie stole our spot with a win over Southwest Minnesota State.  >  However those D-II days are history now.  Time to focus on bigger and better things, like beating some high caliber OOC foes (Montana St., Georgia Southern), winning a GWFC championship this fall, and the I-AA playoffs in '08!

Go State!  ;D
                  89rabbit:

I believe that year was 1988, and we did play Montana that year too, but it was not a close game. I saw that game too, we did have some threat with Ted Wahl passing and JD Berreth receptions. That was a good football team, but again lost two close games at UND and USD. This was probably Wayne Haensel's best team. Yeah Augie got in the playoffs and probably the fact that they played NDSU close help them out. I think we got beat pretty bad that year by NDSU.
                  These committees look at things like this in their selections.

Comment

Thanks for the help, sometimes the years blur.

Comment

SDSU Fan- Thanks for the updates. I got to believe there are some good players out there looking for a home and the right situation. I would think in 2005 we would be in a conference and that would be much more appealing to potential recruits.

Comment

Working...
                      X