2004 and 2005 Football Schedules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2004 and 2005 Football Schedules

It seems the home game we are seeking for the Sept 25th open date has been challenging to find an opponent. They are now considering options for a late August home game that would give the Jacks the 11 games they are seeking and 5 home games. Still hope its a DIAA school.

Comment

I was over on the AFCA site looking at the open dates. These dates may have been filled by now, but Wofford, Furman, and W. Illinois had the 9/25 date open. By the way... Washington St. and Auburn were also open on that date ;D I am looking forward to getting a game like that in few years!!

Comment

Western Illinois would be a good game since we may end up in the Mid-Con for all other sports.

Comment

Our September 17th, 2005 game against Northern Iowa may be in jeopardy as they may now have an opportunity to play Iowa on that date. Hopefully if this happens they will reschedule the game.

Comment

Looks like UNI wants to work it out with us. Here is part of the story from today's Des Monies Register:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...aAShOoDx2etabR

Panthers could play Iowa in football

Northern Iowa could fill slot on Hawkeyes' schedule for 2005.

By RANDY PETERSON
            REGISTER STAFF WRITER
            06/04/2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Athletic directors from Iowa and Northern Iowa are talking about scheduling a football game to be played in 2005 at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City.

"I've told Northern Iowa that we will look for a way to put them on the 2005 schedule," Iowa athletic director Bob Bowlsby said Thursday.

Northern Iowa athletic director Rick Hartzell said he would do everything he can to make the first football game between the schools since 1997 become reality.

"I think what's going to happen is that Iowa's going to ask us to play, and we're most likely going to say yes," Hartzell said Thursday.

Iowa is scrambling to replace Missouri, which backed out of the first two games of a four-game contract that was signed in 1994. The first game was supposed to be Sept. 3, 2005 in Iowa City.

Bowlsby approached Hartzell about the teams playing that day at Kinnick Stadium. Northern Iowa declined because of a Sept. 1 home game against Drake.

"We worked four years to get Drake on the schedule; we finally got an agreement and I ain't moving the game," Hartzell said. "It wouldn't be fair to Drake. It wouldn't be fair to anybody, because it's a great game for both of us."

Two weeks later, Sept. 17 in Iowa City, would be more likely, despite both schools having conflicts - Iowa hosting Ball State, and Northern Iowa hosting South Dakota State.

"Ball State wants to get out of the game," Bowlsby said. "They've handled it professionally, and they've done everything they should, including getting to us real early.

"Unlike Missouri, Ball State said if you can't work it out, we'll play."

Missouri unconditionally broke the first two years of the Iowa contract in favor of playing games against Arkansas State.

Hartzell seemed to think Sept. 17 would work.

"We'd have to move the South Dakota State game, but I think we could get it to work," Hartzell said.

Once every four years, NCAA rules allow Division I-A schools to count a victory against a I-AA school, such as Northern Iowa, toward bowl eligibility. . . .

Comment

Talks were underway to go to Indiana State for the September 25th game, but that has apparently fallen through. At least for the moment!

Comment

While covering the ER in Winona, MN yesterday I had the pleasure of taking care of a linebacker on the Winona St. football team. We talked about their season last year and the disappointing loss to UND in the playoffs.

He commented on how talented the SDSU players were and just how big their win over SDSU was. He really felt it gave them the confidence to have as great a year as they did.

The conversation then shifted to the upcoming season and our move to DIAA. He said that the team is already geared up for the game with SDSU. They know just how great a win over a team in a division above them would be.

We can't take a good DII team like Winona St. lightly. I was at the game last year and they have a talented offense that can score a lot of points. Their defense vastly improved at the end of last year. I hope we can come out in the early season and get a big win at UC Davis but we had better be ready for a scrapy Winona St. team for our home opener. They have a lot to gain with a good showing against the Jacks and you can bet that they know it. Go Jacks!!

2004 South Dakota State Football Schedule
                Date Opponent Time
                Sept. 4 at UC Davis* 6 p.m. (PT)
                Sept. 11 WINONA STATE 7 p.m.
                Sept. 18 WESTERN OREGON 7 p.m.
                Sept. 25 TBA TBA
                Oct. 2 at Cal Poly* 6 p.m. (PT)
                Oct. 9 NORTH DAKOTA STATE* TBA
                Oct. 23 at Montana State TBA
                Oct. 30 at Georgia Southern TBA
                Nov. 6 AUGUSTANA 1 p.m.
                Nov. 13 at Southern Utah* TBA
                Nov. 20 at Northern Colorado* Noon (MT)
                * - indicates Great West Football Game
                All Times Local

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Jackmd:
                  I can concur with what the young man told you. The Winona fans over on D2football.com are still talking about the win last year. Also they feel that losing 23 seniors is not a problem and that the replacements should pick up where the others left off and I am not so sure about that, but I agree, we ought not to take them likely.

They have a great coaching staff plus they can go over to Wisconsin and get all sorts of players. Its amazing what they have accompolished with 21 scholarships.

Comment

Did anyone hear anything about filling our last open football date at the Stan Marshall?

Comment

The 25th open date never came up in my conversations so looks like we will go with what we have. I could be wrong, but nothing was said that I recall.

Comment

It sounds like were having a very difficult time filling that last open date, they havent given up in hopes of finding one more game though, We may be looking at getting a game on that last weekend in August like NDSU did with Valparaiso.

Comment

We need the 11th game for the players sake and the 5th home game for the fans. It will be difficult for the administration to sell a 4 game home season ticket package. I don't think people care if that 11th game is in August or Sept. I had hoped we could land one DIAA home game outside of NDSU. The conference would have done better to create more balance between home and away games in 2004 as the Jacks 2005 schedule will slanted in the other direction.

Comment

It looks like the Jacks could be going to Baton Rouge on September 25th.
                            Southern University has an open date, and apparently is interested.

Comment

Southern already has 6 home dates. I wonder if they would consider coming to Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by newser
                                It looks like the Jacks could be going to Baton Rouge on September 25th.
                                Southern University has an open date, and apparently is interested.
                                As they used to say in the old days of radio" Dont touch that Dial, we will be right back".  In other words, I think you guys are on the right track and Southern could be a possiblity. This could happen. Lets hope for an offical announcement soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X