EWU checking in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EWU checking in...

1. Flawed USD thinking= USD dropping baseball while spending millions on facility and equipment upgrades.

2. Scholarships fully funded in all sports should always be our first priority. That is how we will be able to field winning teams at this level long term.

3. I agree we will need to upgrade all of our facilities and equipment eventually. That is an on going project. It is certainly easier to come up with the money to do that if the stands are full.

4. Winning teams fill the stands (at home and away) not fancy scoreboards or leather seat cushions.
    JBNJBQ-

I agree that scholarships are important, but they aren't the only thing that is important, I would put them in a list behind 1. the coaching staff, and 2. Facilities, and then 3. scholarships. If you don't believe me then I think you should look at last years schedule and tell me how a team at the full scholarship level was able to lose to a team with less than half its scholarships, (hint; they compete in the NSIC). Or maybe you could tell me why the North Dakota schools have been more successful than us in football, but not basketball, over the last 15 years. I don't think its because of their stellar locations in Fargo and Grand Forks. Look at their bball arenas compared to their fb arenas, and I think you'll see the reasoning. Saying that our facilities need to get an upgrade isn't flawed USD thinking, its reality. Nobody on this board that says coughlin doesn't need an upgrade is doing SDSU any favors. You can argue about the timing and the extent of these upgrades, but saying that none are needed isn't being realistic. And JBNJBQ, USD's baseball field was in terrible condition before they dropped the team, and was probably one of the main reasons that baseball was dropped.

Comment

. Winning teams fill the stands (at home and away) not fancy scoreboards or leather seat cushions.
      Look at the history of UND's hockey arena and say that again.

Comment

I dont think there is much more to add to this thread. I think everyone that has posted a message is in the same situation of 12 blind men examing an elephant and they describe they feel. SDSU is one big elephant and everyone is sincere and accurate in what they are saying. We seem to be describing different needs for the athletic programs. Everyone is accurate in their comments except for:

I dont like to defend USD, but in all fairness, baseball was dropped in order to be compliance with Title IX. So to say it was flawed thinking may be a little harsh. If you consider the adminstration allowing students to create those bad t-shirts last winter, then yes that was flawed thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit85

JBNJBQ-

I agree that scholarships are important, but they aren't the only thing that is important
          I did not say it was the ONLY thing that was important.

I would put them in a list behind 1. the coaching staff, and 2.  Facilities, and then 3. scholarships.

That is the flawed thinking I was talking about

If you don't believe me then I think you should look at last years schedule and tell me how a team at the full scholarship level was able to lose to a team with less than half its scholarships, (hint; they compete in the NSIC).

How many games do you think our teams would have won last year, if when we were recruiting we only had half the grants to give? Players go where the money is most of the time. Long term teams with half the grants will lose to teams with a full compliment.

Or maybe you could tell me why the North Dakota schools have been more successful than us in football, but not basketball, over the last 15 years.  I don't think its because of their stellar locations in Fargo and Grand Forks.  Look at their bball arenas compared to their fb arenas, and I think you'll see the reasoning.
          Are you saying it is because of their facilities?

Saying that our facilities need to get an upgrade isn't flawed USD thinking, its reality.  Nobody on this board that says coughlin doesn't need an upgrade is doing SDSU any favors.  You can argue about the timing and the extent of these upgrades, but saying that none are needed isn't being realistic.
          Re-read my post, you obviously missed a couple of key words.

And JBNJBQ, USD's baseball field was in terrible condition before they dropped the team, and was probably one of the main reasons that baseball was dropped.
          Their team was dropped because they chose to spend their money on facilities and equipment rather than scholarships for women that would have solved their title-IX inequity problems. They could have added equestrian for a lot less money.

Comment

Working...
          X