SDSU @ UCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU @ UCD

My intent in making "Big Jake" comments was to get us thinking about our program. Since setting up my perpetual scholarship in 1992, the scholarship awards though small and much less of a full ride, have gone to football players.  I dont fault the current players nor former players such as Rabbit Alum, but rather our past adminstrations for their passive attitudes towards the sport of football.

I am probably one of the few on this board that was around and was a student when NDSU went 0-10 in 1962.  The then new president at NDSU publicly made a commitment to have a winning program and he fired Bob Danielson, who had been a Ralph Ginn assistant at SDSU and a very good coach, and brought in a new staff. Also they started to raise funds from downtown Fargo and formation of Teammakers.  This fund raising was a no-no by the prior president.  The rest is history.  We all know and sometimes are reminded by NDSU fans how many National champions banners hang in their trophy room.

Also note when Babich had a real bad season, how quickly things turned around at NDSU. Babich was very lucky to get that NFL job and expense paid move from Fargo to St Louis. The point is NDSU wants a strong and winning football program.

I believe we have had at least 4 Presidents and 4 AD's at SDSU since 1962.  I would lay the blame at their feet as they give every program direction.  Perhaps they had other noble priorties that were fullfilled at the expense of an underfunded football program. No doubt scholarships have recently been funded at 36 total scholarships, and we seemed to have been able to play with the Bison for four quarters and even win on a couple of occasions.

Prior to the time when the scholarship were at  36, or 45, I have no documentation, but I suspect not all were funded.  Look at the scores, and we have some blow outs.  SDSU built half of Coughlin Alumni  and the opening season was in 1962 and then we  let the staduim stand without improvements for 40 years, outgrowing the dress room facilities. I think too the game changed a great deal during the 1970-1980s. SDSU has not fully adapted to these changes and the end results are evident.  

I dont like to go on and on about things in the football program, but it gets under my skin.  SDSU has its challenge ahead of itself. If Dr Oien said plans to upgrade Coughlin are in the works, then I take him at his word.

The thing that has kind of bothered me is that we have kind of taken a passive attitude towards our neighbors in Fargo and until NDSU started talking D1.

Now we want to emulate them, but its going to be hard unless we find the resources to do so.

I always felt  that two consecutive seasons of 9 wins would turn the football program around and fill the staduim.  We have not let that happen.

I do bleed yellow and blue like others on this board, its just that I have been witness to mediocare results for too long and will tire of seeing more. I not going to drop my support and those kids out there two times a day as we speak do have my support and I wish them the best on Saturday.

Chris Kelly has raised a good point in that with our younger and inexperience defense will have a challenge in trying  to stop the UCD pro type offense.  I hope we can and I hope our coaches are studying the film closely.  We can only expect their best effort and I am sure we will get it.  

Go Jacks, and may we come home with a win.   ;D ;D ;D

Comment

It looks like we agree afterall. We will never be a power house in football until we get better facilities. Also, thank you for supporting the Jacks with scholarship money. I don't think I could have gone to college without one.

Comment

Rabbit FB Alum:
        Yes we agree and I respect  you for taking those bruises, bumps and breaks. I always have gotten a thank you note from all the guys that received the scholarship award in my name.  I wish I could do more.

If its true UNC has only 41 scholarships and SUU has about the same, we may not be in be totally behind the 8 ball in terms of competition.

There are exceptional coaches that can win games with 20 scholarships and one of them is on our scedule, namely Winona State.  Chadron is another, but it takes a real special head coach supported by a skilled staff.  I hope the new additions to the staff will bring us something new and better than what we have had in the past.

Adrian Headen, the heir apparent to Brad Nelson, had a great game against Peru State. He followed Eric Eidness to SWMU.

Excerpt from the SWMU website:

Redshirt freshman quarterback Adrian Headen, making his first career start, completed 21 of 35 passes for 230 yards and four touchdowns and held lead the Mustangs to 448 total yards of offense.

I hope Andy Kardoes and/or the Barry kid from Watertown can step up and replace Nelson without a beat. Stig seems very upbeat today about the dept of offensive lineman, and they show keep Nelson healthy all season.

It really gets me when some of fans sitting on the  50 yard will go to the restroom during the game in order to watch the Pride half time show.  No offense SDSU TUBA, but its a fact.  : Are we playing football or the event built around the half time show?. It should be both. ;D  

I listened to Coach Stig just now on the KWSN, Craig and Mike show.  Stig sounds upbeat about the team, but he has no choice.  I really do hope our guys can go out to Davis and win.  

Comment

At the risk of incurring the wrath of SDSUFAN (of which I apparently have a high propensity), here goes:

I agree with RabbitFBAlum in that a 7-4 season in the NCC was a big deal and a great success. From my era, the 1985 and 1988 teams had that record. The 85 team was loaded with talent, arguably one of the best teams that the Jacks have fielded in recent memory. They lost a bad one against Mankato and with another break or two, would have been 9-2 and in the playoffs. What causes such breakdowns? It is not my intention to point fingers but we must blame a large portion on coaching. Look at the staff Haensel had; it left much to be desired. In my opinion, losing Gary Hoffman was a huge blow. Couple that with the seeming lack of facilities and that may be significant in the difference between a successful and not so successful season. Coughlin (IMHO) is a beautiful venue, the locker rooms are atrocious and the weight room was above average (and hasn't changed much in 15 yrs as I was just in the HPER two weeks ago). Is it adequate in today's climate? I don't know.

Comparing my experience at State with previous situations, it left much to be desired. That being said, I echo what RabbitFBAlum states. Playing for State was a great thing even if it doesn't meet the standards of some.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
            jackmd:
            I am not trying to start in fighting here, but I am feed up with this acceptence of an average football program.  We have at the D2 level accepted 6-5 and 7-4 seasons as being okay.  
            As a former player - thank you. You have no idea how frustrating it is to go 7-4 and have people talk to you like it was some great accomplishment.

Comment

Preview for the Davis game from SDSU Sports Information

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...8-30-04_go.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by RunninRabbit

As a former player - thank you.  You have no idea how frustrating it is to go 7-4 and have people talk to you like it was some great accomplishment.  
                I would tend to agree as well, but am hesitant for fear of feeling the wrath of those that think 7 wins is good for a team with our facilities.

Let me put some perspective on our facilities. Delta State won a national championship a few years ago. At the time their stadium was a dump (ask the Bison fans). Their lockerroom was half the size of CAS and just as old. Weightroom, held half the team and that's including the space in the adjacent lockerroom that was used when there was a need to pull out extra weight benches. If you read into that you will picture having to bench presses in the same area that you dress. Fanbase, non-existent. Yet, despite all of these hardships they were the best team in DII that year. Funny, facilities didn't hurt them one bit.

I agree the lockerroom situation needs to be improved. Weightroom, still functional, but could use improvement. Acceleration program, needs more room, but it's one of a kind amongst our competion. Stadium, old, outdated, but still holds fans and has a good turf when Thorn and his crew don't kill it.

Having 7 wins got old during the Daly era when the team couldn't get over the hump. Transitioning to Stig got one 8 win season, but there have been no improvements to get to the next level of winning. Close losses aren't a function of facilities or fans, they're a function of coaching and playing. Coaches coach and players play, you've either got it or you don't. IMO SDSU has some on each end who don't have it. Until the "white rocks" are cleaned up 7 wins will still be an acceptable good year.

Comment

91Rabbit, no problem I dont think you said anything that would  put a burr under my saddle.  In fact I am glad that everyone has offered their input.  I think the status of our program is a good topic for the time leading up to the start of the season.

I guess a 7-4 season is better than a 4-7.  SDSU has never had a 0-11 season that I can recall.  Once a program hits rock bottom, the president attention is gained since he or she is often bombarded with pressure telephone calls and mail from alumni.  SDSU has not fallen to that level and we just seem to go on at a 7 win level and no one is really upset.

Yes when the NCC had ten members who were competitive, losing four games was hardly a shame but was considered a good season. I dont disagree there.

Catchum thanks for sharing the Delta State experince.  JBB a Bison fan has often referred to Delta States facility as being a kitty litter box. (NDSU got beat by Delta in the playoffs.)

When Coughlin opened in 1962, SDSU probably dressed no more than 50 guys for home games.  At that time, true freshman were not eligible to play under any circumstance. There was no redshirting as we know it today. So implementation of 4 year eligiblity that came when? I really dont know, but it was a big change in squad sizes for home games.  Squads after that  jumped from 50 to maybe 85 to 100.  When that change was made, the dressing room facilities should have been addressed, but was not and now its something that still needs to be fixed.  :

The one only dressing room at Coughlin was probably not in existence for the 1962 season and came maybe a year later. So both teams had to dress in the Intramural building or the Barn and walk to Coughlin. Not such a good deal.  These are the changes that we have not adapted to.  

I know I am off topic, but I think Dr. Oien found an excellent hire for the equestrian program and the reason I say that is based on the consulting work she has been doing the past 2 years. She must have a great network of people who have equestrian interests and probably have very deep pockets which could open widely for the new equestian program at SDSU.

Comment

I'm not saying that a 7-4 season is a great accomplishment and something to be ultimately satisfied with. It IS a decent season but obviously leaves much to be desired.

Comment

Less than 48 hours away from the kickoff of our first game at the DI level and we are still talking about seasons from the past.  We can't change what has happened but we can take the positives and move forward.  I look forward to another competitive FB team.  What does that mean as far as wins and losses?  I'm not sure.

I sure as hell think we can beat UC-Davis this weekend.  We need a great performance from our O-line and minimal turnovers by Nelson and Watson (NO FUMBLES).  The defense edge seems to go towards UC-Davis.  Special teams may be the deciding factor and I know little about ours except that we have one hell of a punter and a freshman placekicker (I believe).  I have no idea about our kick converage or our return team, but I think the could be a key factor in the game.  A booming punt is a prime return opportunity if the cover team slips up.

I'll stand by my belief is the Jacks solid offense and desire to win.  GO JACKRABBITS!!!
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

From the AP wire.

SDSU begins life in IAA football

WAYNE ORTMAN

Associated Press

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The next step for South Dakota State football takes the Jackrabbits to the place where the journey began for coach John Stiegelmeier.

It was at the University of California Davis on Sept. 13, 1997 that Stiegelmeier coached his first game for SDSU and a 17-7 victory.

On Saturday, the Jackrabbits return to UC Davis for their first game as an NCAA Division IAA team and first in the new Great West Football Conference.

"I remember we made some big plays in the game. (Running back) Josh Ranek did OK. We made the plays we needed to make. And I remember getting a hug from my father after the game," said Stiegelmeier, now with a 42-33 record at SDSU.

All the talk and media attention about moving to NCAA Division I and leaving the North Central Conference can be a distraction in preparation, but football is football and in many ways Saturday's game is no different than the 1997 trip to Davis, Stiegelmeier said Thursday.

"Forget the Division I thing - that's the level we're at now. Let's go play," he said.

SDSU had a 7-4 record a year ago and ended the season with five straight victories. It would have been six straight wins had the Jackrabbits not given up a touchdown and two-point conversion with 2.5 seconds left and lost 25-24 to North Dakota, the eventual Division II national runner-up.

UC Davis has 15 starters back from a team that was 6-4 last year in its first year at Division IAA. The Aggies played an independent schedule that included a 23-14 victory over North Dakota State and a 35-28 loss to Northern Colorado, two former NCC teams that also are part of the Great West Football Conference.

After three weeks of practice, SDSU finds itself opening the season with a conference game.

"If our goal is to compete in the conference - and there are only five conference games - then this game is very important for us," Stiegelmeier said.

The Jackrabbits are most experienced on offense where eight starters return, including quarterback Brad Nelson, two receivers and a running back.

Nelson, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound senior, set school records with 3,141 yards passing and 27 TD passes last year. He was intercepted only five times.

"I think he's feeling some pressure, based on all the press and some preseason things and so on. But it's our job to say `Just go out there and do what you did last year and you'll get better,'" Stiegelmeier said.

Junior wide receiver Josh Davis, an all-North Central Conference pick last year, is back. He had 1,028 yards in pass receptions last season and already ranks sixth at SDSU for career reception yardage.

The Jackrabbits return only four starters on defense and are particularly inexperienced and young in the secondary, where four juniors, two sophomores and two redshirt freshmen are listed on the two-deep roster.

The trip to California will be the first in a frequent-flyer season of roughly 14,000 round-trip miles for Stiegelmeier and crew. The team makes a second trip to California in October and also plays in Louisiana, Montana, Georgia, Utah and Colorado.

The amount of travel this season - six charter flights and one commercial flight - will be an adjustment from bus travel of the past, Stiegelmeier said.

"We've talked to them about it. We've talked about going out there for one reason. Don't be in awe of the trip. This is life right now. Just get ready to win a football game."
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Compare and contrast the above post with this headline:

South Dakota Hosts Peru State Tonight

VERMILLION -- After a season-opening road win, the South Dakota Football Team (1-0) will return home on Thursday to host Peru State (0-1) at 7 p.m. at the DakotaDome.

Its a long trip up from South America. I didn't know they played American style football.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                            Less than 48 hours away from the kickoff of our first game at the DI level and we are still talking about seasons from the past.  We can't change what has happened but we can take the positives and move forward.  I look forward to another competitive FB team.  What does that mean as far as wins and losses?  I'm not sure.

I'll stand by my belief is the Jacks solid offense and desire to win.  GO JACKRABBITS!!!
                            Doc, you surprise me. You mean you never pay any attention to history files of patients? I think you do and maybe its unfair to compare a persons health to a football program.

I guess what I am saying is that some of the past problems of our football program have not been resolved by changing our classification. We can only expect the best effort from our players and coaches.

I dont like to be pessimistic, but the past will be magified when we face a higher level of competion. Will the changed attitude that Coach Stig and staff have instilled on the team since spring ball, be enough? We will soon find out.

Granted we can surprise some opponents and we will. Yes our offense is very solid but Chris Kelly has raised a good question in wondering how our young defense will match up with their offense.

UCD is a very solid program and has not had a losing season for a number of years. The talent that they pull from California is unbelieveable good and is sometimes the recruits that UCLA, and other D1 schools cant use. Its not that they lack the talent, its just that there is no slot for them, but UCD is there to sign in April and May when the others have passed them up.

Comment

Team is on there way to CA......I truly believe we will be a much better team than anyone expects. Excited for the season to get underway and show everyone what we can do. The new coaches to the coaching staff have really turned it all up a notch.....Good things are on there way.....

Go Jacks........
                              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

footballfan:

My better instincts tell me to trust what you just said and I am going to do that.  Good news about the new coaches, I always thought some of the staff was some what on the docile side, but then I may only see the public side of their personality.  Those who have particpated in the Alumni Golf outings are not likely to chew you out for a Mulligan.  Good Luck to the Jacks and may they come back with a win. ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X