SDSU in the news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU in the news

Shouldn't this be moved to the smack board?

Although I meant what I said, I was also trying to provoke SDSUFAN a bit since he didn't respond to my previous compliment to him. IMO no need to move it since I am done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
      If politics are taboo on the board, should religion be as well?  Granted, I have no love lost for Augie, but let's not blame the Lutheran church for that dogpound.

the squeeky clean lutheran image ???
      91 Rabbit:

I need to explain myself here.  I am really slaming my own religious hertiage.  If you shook my family tree , no Germans, Swedes or Danes would fall out.  The only thing  that would fall would Ole and Lena Joke tellers, who could even tell Norwegian jokes pa Norsk.(In Norwegian)   In other words, my family has been Lutheran since King Christian of Denmark threw his alliance with the German Princes who protected Martin Luther during reformation and formed the Formula of Concord and the Augusburg Confession.  Norway at the time of reformation was a colony or protectate of Denmark and was governed by the Danish crown.  So lots of Luthern in me,

The squeeky clean comment stems from my brothers kids being Augie grads and very proud and often taking shots at SDSU.  Other Augie grads I know love talk about the Augustana Advantage.

The other experience that has triggered this comment is the fact of the 52 Lutheran schools affliated with the Evengical Lutheran Church in America, they are all very excellent schools and very expensive.  No average C student Lutheran gets a crack at St Olaf, and I am sure there  are students turned down at Augie.  

I sat in on a workshop presentation for Dana and Midland Lutheran,  during a Nebraska Synodical Assembly for the ELCA. The two presidents from Dana and Midland made their pitch and I asked why these schools were not more affordable for the average Lutheran, and I dont recall exact response, but it was something about academic quality and sqeeky clean people. The schools are tuition driven since the Nebraska ELCA Synod gives Dana and Midland maybe 50 grand a year.  In other words Lutheran trailor trash should not apply.  Go to SDSU instead. ;D

That why I will tickeled sh#tl@@@ when SDSU starts to out bid Augie in key recruiting battles for athletes.

Comment

SDSUFAN:

Thanks for the explanation. No need for it as I was just trying to get you going.

Re: Augie. I think that the board would be in full agreement that while USD is the locus of all evil in the world, Augie is a close second. While I am not a SD native, my wife is and she once told me that she could never cheer for either USD or Augie when they played other (non-NCC schools). So that taught me a bit about SD athletics.

Comment

[Back to the issues raised in the article]

The folks at the SDSU athletic department saw this coming several years ago. With the collapse of the NAIA, Division II was becoming, for lack of a better word, diluted with the NAIA refugees. In fact, Fred told my father a number of years ago that the increasing voting power of smaller DII schools would drive down the scholarship levels. Fred & Co. saw the writing on the wall a number of years ago and started getting the word out. Now it looks like one of the main reasons for making the jump to DI is coming to fruition. While SDSU, UNC, and NDSU move forward, the rest of the NCC will likely be taking a step backwards.

Comment

Scholarship levels in DII: 65, 45, 40, 36, and now 24?

Man, I just don't see that happening. They tried cutting scholarships to 30 back in 1998 and it failed to pass (75-61).

With the changes to DII's membership, the RMAC and PSAC could definitely have gotten it cut to 30 this time around, but 24? I really doubt that a cut that severe will pass this year.

Comment

Tony:

I agree that this measure if voted on this coming January would probably fail.  Even if it does fail, the issue of an uneven playing field gets a great deal of exposure and perhaps more votes the next time around.  I dont think the prior vote or this vote will stop PSAC and RMAC from bringing this issue up again.

I can see a compromise to this measure of deleteing the number 24 and adding 30 and perhaps will pass.

Judging by the 1998 vote you quoted it would appear non football schools do not vote on these issues as the total count seems to be about 150 which is about the number of schools that played D2 football in 1998. If so I stand to be corrected in some my other posts.

Comment

Working...
              X