Western Oregon game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Western Oregon game

The Jacks won the game but they made a lot of mistakes. Western Oregon is the worst team to play at Coughlin in years. They were really bad. I thought the Jacks played well against Winona but did not look good at all on Saturday. Starting this week - the schedule is brutal. Hopefully the Jacks can surprise a few teams over the rest of the season.

Comment

I listened to much of the game on the radio...let's hope it was one of those games in which the level of play is pulled down to the weaker team's level. Sometimes that happens.

It's now in the books under the Win column so the team can move on to some tough challenges.

Comment

I was at the game. Nelson is just not the same player he was last year. He missed a lot of throws. And other than a coulple of big runs that broke after the game was well in hand, our O-line didn't do a thing.

After Wenona I thought our offense was gonna be big this year and our defense would struggle big time. Now I just don't know what to think. We see a different team every week.

Hopefully we have a good showing vs. Southern.

Comment

It was very windy yesterday.  I am sure it was difficult to throw the ball with any certainty.  Brad did just fine.

Defense looked good against both teams we have played at Coughlin.

WO was a very young team that played their hearts out the whole game. No one gave them any chance to win the game. That made them very dangerous. We should feel good that we won the game handily!

True freshman Parker Douglas was outstanding! He will be a big factor in the success of the team this year. When you have a sure 3 from anywhere inside the 40 yard line it changes your willingness to go for it on 4th down.

We played good enough to win the last two games! It was fun to watch. We will continue to improve each week. We can still end the year with only one loss! That is possible! Keep the faith!

Need to get more fans out to the games though. Under 6000 butts in the seats for this one. Band was in Pierre showing South Dakota what "Pride" means!

Bring on Southern!

Comment

Parker Douglas is indeed the pleasant surprise and could be the next Vinatari, he seems to have a strong leg.

I have to agree with JBNJBQ in it was a win. Its also kind of disappointing that we did not convert on those turnovers.

We hope we just move forward and make our most earnst effort to win in Baton Rogue. Its going to be tough.

Comment

Sorry JBNJBQ, I disagree with you. We played most of the game on their side of the 50 yard line and only got in the end zone a couple of times. That is a pretty poor performance against suck a weak opponent. With as many turnovers and mis-Q's WO had, we should have scored in the 50's. Yea, a win is a win, but I guarentee you that the players and the coaches are not too happy with how they played.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit_FB_Alum
                Sorry JBNJBQ, I disagree with you.  We played most of the game on their side of the 50 yard line and only got in the end zone a couple of times.  That is a pretty poor performance against suck a weak opponent.  With as many turnovers and mis-Q's WO had, we should have scored in the 50's.  Yea, a win is a win, but I guarentee you that the players and the coaches are not too happy with how they played.
                Please re-read my post and tell me with which part do you disagree?

Comment

No doubt about turnovers that we failed to convert on and its would have been a confidence builder if we had converted. I agree with Rabitt Football alum, the players and coaches really have no reason to rejoice, but its time to start thinking about Southern and how well we can play with these guys and can we win? ???

Comment

I attended the tailgate and part of the first half (wedding got in the way) listened to the remainder on WNAX. Granted, we won convincingly, but IMO not a great performance by the Jacks.

I was disappointed by some of the play calling. There seems to be little patience for establishing a run game. We go to the air much too soon. Red zone offense was terrible with some of the blame needing to go to the O coordinator. Finally, many foolish penalties on both sides of the ball, personal fouls, holding, etc.. these would have killed us against even a mediocre team.

On the bright side, the place kicker is fantastic!! This is a huge bonus that we need to take advantage of.

Great atmosphere at the tailgate. Excellent crowd participation at the game. Would have like to have seen a couple thousand more but I shouldn't talk as I will miss the remainder of the home games.

We need our best week of practice in anticipation of Southern. I would like to see more confidence from the coaches regarding the run game. It will only help Nelson and the receivers.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here are highlights from the Argus story. Way to go Parker Douglass. Gota love a kid that chose SDSU over Nebraska and set a SDSU record (one that stood for 23 years) three games into his career.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle2.shtml

SDSU kicker hits for 6 FGs in win
                      By Chris Solari
                      csolari@argusleader.com

published: 9/19/2004

BROOKINGS - It took freshman Parker Douglass three games to shatter a South Dakota State kicking record that even Adam Vinatieri couldn't touch.

Douglass kicked six field goals Saturday night, breaking a 23-year-old record for most in a game, as the Jackrabbits dusted Division II visitor Western Oregon 38-3.

The Coughlin-Alumni crowd of 5,227 erupted into a loud ovation as the freshman from Columbus, Neb., broke the record in the third quarter with a booming 43-yard boot from the right hash. Russ Meier held the previous mark of four, set against St. Cloud State in 1981.

"I was really lucky to be able to get the job done for the most part and do whatever I can for the team," said Douglass, who turned down a preferred walk-on offer from Nebraska for a chance to kick this year at SDSU. "I'm glad to be up here and get that many chances."

Douglass' chorus-line kind of night overshadowed a punishing effort by the Jacks' defense. The Wolves (0-3) managed just 90 yards of total offense, including an SDSU defensive record of minus-42 yards of rushing allowed. The Jackrabbits (2-1) also forced 11 punts and two fumbles.

"The biggest key we had this week was effort as a defense," junior defensive tackle D.J. Fischer said. "We stopped the run and stopped the pass pretty well and got it done." . . .

"Not to say our offense had a bad night or anything, but we definitely didn't have a good night," said receiver Josh Davis, who caught a pair of touchdown passes. "We could have put up a lot more points."

Still, the Jacks scored nine times on 16 drives on the night.

"The killer instinct in all of us says score, score, score," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "Tonight, it was Parker Douglass' night, for whatever reason." . . .

Into a strong southeasterly wind, Douglass connected on kicks of 34, 39 and 27 yards on consecutive first-quarter drives to push the Jackrabbits to a 9-3 lead.

Defensively, the Jacks were as stingy as the Wolves' offense was inept. The constant pressure from the SDSU front line - led by Joey Abell, Mike James and Ryan Schlieman - got in WOU quarterback Denny Bies' face and terrorized the Wolves' running backs.

Bies was eventually knocked out of the game in the third quarter.

Brad Nelson and the Jacks' passing game began to click in the second quarter, as he hit junior Davis for a pair of 15-yard touchdown passes. Douglass also added a 23-yarder as SDSU led 25-3 at halftime.

Nelson went 17-of-33 for 254 yards in the game as SDSU amassed 472 yards of total offense.

Brian Janecek had three catches in the opening half for 103 yards, including a 53-yard, juke-and-jive number that set up Douglass' first field goal.

Watson finished with 148 yards on 11 carries, including a 64-yard TD jaunt in the second half in which he slipped several tackles, faked out another defender and bowled over a final WOU player. . . .

SDSU hits the road next Saturday to face traditional Division I-AA power Southern University in Baton Rouge, La.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I know this is late, but didn't see it addressed. I only got to hear the radio broadcast of the game, but it seems speed is still a big problem. I can't even begin to remember how many times they indicated that the Jack player was caught from behind. Better check Southern thread.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Here is probably the last word on the Western Oregon game, highlights from the Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...00&page=25

Jacks kick out Wolves
                          BY MIKE JOHNSON
                          SDSU kicker smashes 23-year-old record

For the Register

BROOKINGS — Parker Douglass kicked a South Dakota State record six field goals, and the SDSU defense held Western Oregon to 90 total yards, including -42 rushing yards in a 38-3 romp Saturday night.
                          In Douglass' third game as a collegiate-level kicker, he broke a record that even Super Bowl hero Adam Vinatieri never held at SDSU. Douglass broke the record by kicking field goals of 34, 39, 27, 23, 43, and 39 yards. . . .

Head Coach John Stiegelmeier has spoken very highly of Douglass in recent weeks, and Saturday Douglass proved all his believers right.
                          "Parker is a great competitor and a tremendous talent. He's a real 'team first' guy. As a coach you look for guys who step up when their number is called, and he stepped up tonight," Stiegelmeier said. . . .

The Jackrabbit defense hounded Western Oregon all night long, allowing only 90 total yards. Led by Mike James' eight tackles and a team total of 12 tackles for losses accounting for -48 yards, the defense owned the field all game long. If not for a Western Oregon 20-yard field goal in the first quarter after a Watson fumble gave them the ball on the 18-yard line, the defense would have pitched a dominant shutout.
                          Defensive lineman D.J. Fischer was impressed with his unit's performance. "Our biggest key as a team was effort tonight," Fischer said. "It's big to come off two good wins. Now we have momentum and confidence going into Southern." . . .

When asked about next weeks showdown with Southern, Stiegelmeier said, "We as a coaching staff really practice what we ask of our players. We don't think about the next game until the first one is done. But from what I know, they are an extremely athletic team. They have a very good program with a lot of history. We are going to have our hands full with those guys."
                          Fischer put his own positive outlook on next week’s game, adding, "We are going to see a good football team in Southern, but you are going to see a good team lining up against them too."
                          As for the Jacks overall season outlook, Coach Stiegelmeier spoke as a true coach. "I'm never content," he said. "I'm still waiting for that perfect game. I don't know if it ever really happens, but I'm looking for that game where everybody clicks and everybody does things right. We've got a ways to go to get there."
                          If there is one word that could help the Jacks take a step in the right direction towards Stiegelmeier's "perfect game" it would be, "focus," he said, "because that cures a lot of things. It cures mistakes and penalties and it allows you to play up to your potential."
                          Stiegelmeier and thousands of Jackrabbit fans hope the Jacks can play up to their potential next week against Southern. Kickoff at Southern is 7 pm.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                          X