Favorite Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Jack

Ranek is definetly on my list. Can't forget those amazing runs.

I would add Brett's brother, Brock as well. Another good WR that could return kicks as well.

Comment

Brock Zierden could have been a great player at SDSU, but I believe he had some personal problems including playing after the whistle was blown and that seemed to get him in so much trouble.  I recall atleast one game where he was kicked out of the game, and numerous personal fouls, which do not help the team at all especially after Ranek had topped off a gain on the ground.

I agree he had talent, but he could have taken lessons from Catch Em All guy in decorum.  Just my opinion. ;D

Comment

I happened to live next door to Zierden in the residence halls and he was a great guy, would give you the shirt off his back, just didn't make some of the best decisions. The season when he made a name from himself, i believe it was 99, he dominated every opponent. A lot of the personal foul calls he did get were because as i recall he would have his man pancaked on the ground and be laying on top of him until the whistle blew even if the play was twenty yards down field. As one can imagine this was pretty demoralizing to defensive linemen and they often started stuff with him after the play and instead of walking away he got involved almost everytime. He quickly got a reputation with the NCC refs and the rest was history, i think he was watched pretty closely the rest of the year. Unfortunately He made some poor decisions after and ended up leaving the program. His Oline coach at the time has told me he could have been the best lineman ever at SDSU and from his freshman year i would have to believe him.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Jackrabbit1979:

Thanks for coming to Zierden's defense. I only knew him from the football stand. If there is one penalty that I hate to have assessed is a personal foul. Playing should be stopped completely with the whistle, and laying purposely on top of some one is not a good choice in a football game.

Your right Zierden did gain a reputation amongst the NCC refs. Not only that but a few posters over on D2football.com brought up his name several times and comment at lenght about his aggressive and sometimes illegal playing. I got tired of trying to defending him, and I had known him like you did. It would have been much different in terms of perception if he had lived next door to me.

I appreciate your comments about him off the field. He is as I said someone I really never had a chance to get to know. I would agree though that talent wise he did have it and was among the best.

Comment

One more comments on Lynn Boden: I recall well the day after Lynn was drafted in the first round...I was walking toward the front of the Administration building and was about to step into the street when I heard some laughing, clapping and other noise. Lynn Boden was driving (?) very, very slowly, north on the street in front of the Admin building. He had picked up a brand-spanking new Monte Carlo--it was jet black--and he was sitting on top of the driver's seat (yes, the seat back) and sticking out the sun roof, waving and greeting everyone. It was very funny. I heard he had a short keg of beer on the back seat but don't know if that was true. Anyway, everyone was congratulating him and wishing him well. I think he had the car in gear but just on idle and he must have been steering with his foot or knee.

We all watched news of the draft the day before because we had a good idea he'd go in one of the very early rounds.

Comment

I happened to live next door to Zierden in the residence halls and he was a great guy, would give you the shirt off his back, just didn't make some of the best decisions. The season when he made a name from himself, i believe it was 99, he dominated every opponent. A lot of the personal foul calls he did get were because as i recall he would have his man pancaked on the ground and be laying on top of him until the whistle blew even if the play was twenty yards down field. As one can imagine this was pretty demoralizing to defensive linemen and they often started stuff with him after the play and instead of walking away he got involved almost everytime. He quickly got a reputation with the NCC refs and the rest was history, i think he was watched pretty closely the rest of the year. Unfortunately He made some poor decisions after and ended up leaving the program. His Oline coach at the time has told me he could have been the best lineman ever at SDSU and from his freshman year i would have to believe him.
              I played with Zierden and couldn't disagree more. First I will say I am not just a Zierden hater and I would even go as far a calling him a casual friend, but he earned every bit of his reputation. He was an instigator not a retalieator. His stupid actions cost us more than one game during his career. He was lazy and shelfish. He didn't care about anyone but himself as far as football goes. He lived in the bars (EVEN THE NIGHT BEFORE GAMES!!!!)

I can confidently say that he is the best football player I have ever seen at SDSU (even better than Ranek, none of you ever saw what Zierden was capable of doing on a day-to-day basis like in practice). If he actually worked out, and cared about anything other then himself he would be starting in the NFL right now.

So I think Zierden should not be remembered for how great he was, but rather as the poster boy for how to flush a potentially amazing life right down the crapper.

Comment

Amen to Rabbit_football_alum. Zierden cared for only one thing and that was Zierden. I could not believe how dirty he was. He must have been abused as a child. Every coach in the NCC sent film to the league office showing what kind of dirty player he was. Zierden didn't care because he was mean. For anyone to say he was a Jackrabbit great is absolutely crazy. He was an embarrassment to SDSU.

Comment

Jack wrote, "For anyone to say he was a Jackrabbit great is absolutely crazy."

The topic is favorite jackrabbit, not greatest.  I realize he was a dirty player.  But, in my opinion, it was fun to watch him pancake nearly every defender who lined up in front of him.  I wish he could have gotten it together and had a successful career at SDSU. 

Comment

I figured when Zierden came up it would stir a little discussion on the board. First, I was not really defending him because i agree with rabbit fb alum he did cause a lot of heartache to a lot of people while he was at state. I was just saying he was a nice guy to me off the field, and that was basically it. From a fan's perspective, or should i say my perspective, it seemed like a lot of the penalties were not necessarily instigated by him, but again that is from the stands. I would concede to the fact that fb alum played with him and knew what kind of player he was. I do have to admit his skills as a player were fun to watch while he was here, and i think that is why rabbit in verm included him on the list. He did throw away a lot and was obviouisly undeserving of the talent he was given. Saying he was abused as a child might be going a little too far? ??? ???

Either way, lets talk about some other players.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I'm liking Alumguy's list. I would also add Dennis Thomas to any list as well. I'm a little biased though, since Dennis is a close friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X