Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ARGUS EDITORAL-TODAY

Mike,

Let me start by saying you are wrong that I am the only one in KC that cares about this topic.  We have a rather large group of Alumni down here.  As I am sure many US cities do (just antoher good reason to be D-I).  Large enough, in fact, that I have nothing to do with it's organization.  I just happly go to events.  That being said I will not speak for this group or tell you what any or all of them are thinking.  One other Jacks fan here in KC does post on the board and so you have two first hand opinions from KC.

Next, it is not my intent to stifle debate on this issue.  I did want to reign in and refocus the discussion as some were making assertions that had no basis in fact.

If you check the posts you will see that if it were up to me, given the facts as I know them, I would have let him go after he pled guilty.

We can talk about how SDSU should have handled this matter from a PR stand point all day and night.  I think you will find that I also freely admitted that this is not a good thing for the University.  However, my point was this is not a case of lack of institutional control that you imply others have said.

I believe you Mike on your opinion of this issue.  I get frustrated when you bring up someone else's negative opinion about SDSU and then run behind the "well I didn't say that he did"  when called on it, and I am not just talking about this issue.  All I am saying is tell us what you think, it is to easy to make up what someone else thinks who is not on the board.

Finally, I don't appreciate your attempt to belittle the group on this board or me for not currently living in South Dakota.  South Dakota is my home and will always be my home even if I live outside of it boarders so don’t lecture me on what the “folks” in South Dakota are doing.  

Mike I would respect you more if you would just tell us what you think about SDSU’s move to D-I.  I already know, because you have shared your opinion with me, but some on the board might like to hear it from you. >

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I didn't take the time to read all the posts in this thread so I apologize if I am repeating.

None of us know all the details about this like Stig. does, so I think it is best to trust him. I played for him and I can tell you that he cares more about his players as people, than he does as football players. He is more concerned about what kind of man you are when you are done with his progam, than with what kind of kid you are when you start it. Playing for Stig. taught me just as much about being a good man as it did about being a good football player. Stig. bases his decisions on a higher athority, so in situations like this I trust him 100%. I normally have no pity for people like Robinson, but like I said Stig. know best.

Comment

Did I start something here or what?  I  appreciate what everyone has posted. I appreciate that some have taken the time to explore the code of student conduct and how it affect's A. Robinson.  Maybe the Editoral Board from the Argus did the same in exploring the SDSU student conduct code and maybe that is why they posted their editoral on Wednesday.

I love SDSU and I am bothered when negative news appears especially in South Dakota's leading news paper.  Maybe SDSU should hire Karl Rove for damage control.  ;D  Rove seems to make our current President appear greater than he is and maybe he could do the same for SDSU. Trying to inject humor and not being political. ;D

Our Bill of Rights allows freedom of the press and how that is exercised can sometimes be very bothersome.  Mike H says he can't be a cheerleader for SDSU and the same can be said about the Argus. :-[

Whether Coach Stig did the right thing or not is something I am not going to judge even after reading all 30 posts to this thread.  I think we should move on and play some good football.  The only one who can affect Mr. Robinson's life at this point time is the judge who renders the sentencing on October 26th.

I saw the Jacks baseball team practice at Bob Shelden field, I think we have something good to look forward too here. Think Spring ;D

Lets  cheer on the Jacks. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

89: Here are my opinions, again, just so we are clear.

I was against SDSU going D1. However, the decision has been made, as has the move, so I have moved on. As I have stated before, there is no more point in talking about it.

I thought John Anderson would have made a better president than Jimmy Carter, so I voted for him. Care to talk about that issue? Like the SDSU move, it is history, and there is no going back. How about a good healthy discussion on the three class basketball system?

I think SDSU has handled a lot of their public relations in the past year and a half or so very poorly. When questioned, SDSU in general has dismissed peoples opinions the same way many on this board do, by saying they don't care about the university, they obviously have a hidden agenda, they are "State haters", or, my favorite, by just rolling their eyes as if they are the only ones with "true knowledge". That is no way to endear yourselves to the masses, or to get your point across.

I think this board is full of self important, narrow minded people. I also enjoy the majority of the folks that post on here. Unlike the Republican party, I am able to have more than one thought in my head about the same subject. You know, the "if you are against the war you must not support the troups" type of argument.

I get private emails from folks on this board all the time because they are happy I am willing to say what I say. They are tired of being shouted down just because their opinion is not the same as everyone elses.

I think some of the names on this board are very clever and creative. I also wish that some people had the balls to use their actual name. Some of you have attacked me while hiding behind a fictional name on a web board. Real brave. Your opinion means nothing to me.

I appreciate passion. People on this board have a passion. I also appreciate knowledge. I have learned a great deal on this board, and I appreciate that.

I talk to a lot of other people, and like to share their thoughts with others. That is called communication. That's what I do. I talked to Matt Jones last night, and passed along some information in another thread about that conversation. I hope it was ok that I was talking about SDSU athletics somewhere other than this board.

I find it interesting that I can have the same opinion as someone on this board, and yet it still turns in to an argument. Why does that not happen with some of the other posters, even when they are going against the prevailing thread? I guess I am not a member of the fraternity. I can live with that.

Any other questions? I am going to the Dome this afternoon to watch USD and Augie play football. I have a pretty good feeling I will not be running into any of you there. If I do, however, please make yourself known so I can meet you in person. Have a great weekend!

Comment

Not sure I can even stand replying to posts like this. What is a guy suppose to say in reply? I can say this, I feel pity for Mike_H (I know, Mike, you don't care what I think).
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Mike,

You are a smart guy and I know that you get what I am talking about.  I know you feel a duty to represent those that don't agree with the move on this board and on your show.  I have always tried to give you extra leeway when it comes to posts because I want there to be opposing views (why do you think bigjake, and Maverick are still here).

So let me make my point one more time.  Would it be fair for me to post that I talked with hundreds of people at the Western Oregon game who think you are a horse's a@@.  Then if questioned about it to say, "I didn't say it , I am only telling you what people are telling me".  I say no because it can't be proven.  By the way, I know you are going to find this hard to believe, but no one talked about you with me at the WOU game.

Mike, I value your opinion.  Even if I don't agree with it much.  I am sorry you don't feel the same way.  I just don't like the second hand cheep shoots.  When the board started you didn't have to be a member to post.  Eventually we had to change that, to stop what SDSUFAN called the drive by posters.  People who took cheap shots at SDSU and then ran away.  They wouldn't defend their opinions.  My feeling is that reporting what "others" have said is akin to a drive by post.  Again, you are a smart guy and I know you get what I am saying.

If people have something to say let them say it, but be prepared to back it up.  Be prepared to take some heat.  As I have said before this is a SDSU fan board.

Mike keep posting, we self important, narrow minded people need an antagonist.  Have fun at the Dome and if you come to the Beef Bowl I will cook you a Bison Burger and give you an adult beverage in a paper cup!

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Pity? That's a new one.

Contempt, disdain, adoration, now those are the reactions I am used to! OK, adoration, not so much.

89 asked some questions, I answered them. Remember also, jackjd, you were the one who invited me to this board. Re-thinking that decision?

Comment

Sorry, that should say jackMd instead of jd. My bad.

Comment

Well Mike_H, don't know if you care or not, but my name is Patrick Manley. I live here in SF and stand by my opinions that I have previously stated. I have met you before, thought you were a nice guy. Like your posts even though I don't agree with them all.

89, gotta say I think you are off base on your attacks about Mike's opinions. Opinions are opinions and none are more valuable than others. Dismissing a countering opinion does not make your argument stronger.

Gawd that sounded way to preachy. Anyway, the topic of the thread has somewhat morphed into how SDSU should handle bad news. Supporters have to acknowledge bad news is bad news. When the emporer had no clothes, didn't matter how many peons said he looked lovely, he still had no clothes.

I don't see how having an individual who pled guilty to a felony, who will be suspended from the school, and will be off the team in a matter of days can be spun as being good for the team/university. Every rep he takes in practice is one that cannot be used to develop a different player. The University looks like it is giving special treatment to an athlete, whether it is or is not.

I think SDSU will be able to compete at the D1 level on the field eventually, but it has not handled things in the PR department very well. They should be out front explaining why things are the way they are, not waiting to respond after the Argus runs an editorial. I was, quite frankly, apalled and disappointed when I read that editorial. I assumed Mr. Robinson was off the team. Sometimes it sucks to have to make the right decision, generally it sucks a lot more having to try and explain why you didn't make that decision in the first place.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Good heavens, I turn my back on the board for a couple of days to move into a new house and all heck breaks loose!!!

For the record, I'm in Kansas City, too.

You know, folks, this isn't the Mike_H board. He's as entitled to his opinions as the rest of us . . . no more and no less.

Yeah, I think at the point where Robinson plead guilty, he should have been excused from the team. I also have heard from multiple sources over the years that SDSU has a reputation in S.D. for arrogance. Probably well-deserved, and something that the University administration needs to continue to be aware of.

Of course, arrogance also seems to be in the job description of most radio talk show hosts. Haven't heard one yet that wasn't completely convinced that they were right (except Art Bell, who has made a career out of not being sure about anything ;-)

Go Rabbits!
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

1stRowFANatic,

You and I do agree most of the time and we do on this issue.  Given the facts as I know them, as I posted before,  I would have  dismissed the player in question from the team when he pled guilty.

Many on this thread (dare I say the majority) agree with Mike that Stig is doing the right thing.   Mike it appears is on SDSU's side and I seem to be siding with the Argus.  I have no problem with that, or with anyones opinion.

I don't think that anyone on this board is denying that this is a troubling issue or that it effects the University in a negative fashion.  I have made no statement on how the University is handling this issue from a PR stand point.  I have made a conscious decision to not comment on this part of the issue.   

The only problem that I have with Mike stems from a post where he claims that "others" were saying that this was a lack of institutional control issue.  Ala Colorado's recruiting scandal.  When pressed for his opinion Mike said he didn't think it was a lack of institutional control, it is just what others were saying.

This is not the first time that Mike has "reported" what others are saying.  For the integrity of our exchanges, I think this is a trend that needs to stop for the very reason that I demonstrated in my previous post.  To much potential for abuse.  So as you can see I have no issue with Mike's opinion on this matter, I have issue with the way Mike sometimes posts.

1stRow, with all that being said, I am interested in what part of Mike's and my exchange you feel I am "off base on"?  Who knows maybe I am, sometimes we "self important, narrow minded people" are off base.    I am really interested in your opinion, however I must say I am growing very weary of this thread.  So this very well maybe my last post on this thread.  

Go State!  ;D  

P.S. You are also welcome to let me know with a PM if you are not comfortable putting it on the thread.  Either way I really would like to know.  

Comment

89 - your statements that Mike hides behind the opinions of others that he talks to/with.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think this sums it up the best. I think we all know Stig. is a stand up guy, so it is safe to trust the way he is handling things. However I do agree that the University has done a poor job being open about the way this is being handled. I bleed blue and yellow and it kills me when this kind of stuff happens. The fact of the matter is now that we are DI, SDSU is going to have to deal with situations like this much more often. The university desperately needs to learn how to deal with it better. But I don't think calling for Stig.'s head is the answer.

Comment

This is getting a little scary. I am beginning to believe Mike and I (my name is Mike/Michael also, as many of you know) think and act a little too much alike. Even if we differ on our stance regarding certain topics. I don't mean to offend I just want to state my opinion. Mike_H is similar.

As hard has it is to admit it, I must say that I am probably more offended at face value by Mike's posts because he often brings in an opposing viewpoint. I have never been too good at accepting opinions/thoughts that differ from mine. I am trying howver. No hard feelings, yet, I hope.

Go Jacks!!!!
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Rabbit FB Alum
                                I hope you didn't construe any of my posts to think that i thought Stig should be fired. If so, I didn't mean that. I think Robinson should be off the team, but the more important part is that this LOOKS so bad for SDSU. The PR should have been handled much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X