Cal-Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal-Poly

Gotta say that I loved Stig's interview. I liked his fire! We need to take this frustration and focus it on the Bison. Dakota Marker week starts right now.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bison! ;D

Comment

I don't think this Jacks team is going to roll over for anyone, the rest of the year.

Anyone planning to beat the Rabbits had better be prepared to play all 60 minutes.

We'll see next week what the Bison have got this year. All I know is that I'm more proud of this SDSU football team than any team we've had for quite a while. I think the Thundering Herd may be in for a bit of a rude surprise . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Tough loss, but I think the Rabbits showed a lot of people something today.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
           BTW J Lohr has got a great product.  Seven Oaks Cabernet is well worth the effort.
          I told you it was good, glad you liked it!

Go State! ;D

Comment

I agree with you all. It is always dissapointig to loose, but man what a showing! Others here are correct in saying that this team has something that hasen't been seen on the SDSU football team since I can remember. They play as a team and they have A LOT of heart. Man do they play hard! Go Jacks! We are proud of you!

Beat the Bison!

Comment

Honestly, I thought this was going to be one ugly year, but other than the first game, this team has to be proud of what they have done. In the 20 years since I first started following State, when I decided I was going to college there, I've never been this impressed with our team.

Comment

No doubt a very good showing even though it was not a win.  I am beginning to wonder are we this good or are these highly rated opponents somewhat overatted.  Could be both.

What I am seeing this year that I have not seen in the Stigelmeire era, is the great game plan preparation and the motivation of the players.  Also we seem to have assistants who truly work as a team and are not worried about impressing Stig or anyone else in the Jackrabbit Community.   Having a winning program is the most important objective for the staff.

Jeff Kolpeck of the Fargo Forum, shortly before the season started did a feature on Criag Bohl and his assistants. Coach Bohl coming from UNL knows how important it is for the assistants to work as a team. A head coach is only as good as the assistants around him the article said.

We will see this next Saturday how well these assistants work as a team at NDSU and we will see hour team and staff match up with the Bison. This is one time coaching will be a bigger factor in winning the game that will be important to both NDSU and SDSU.

We welcome all the Green and Gold to Brookings. ;D

Comment

Here are highlights from the Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle2.shtml

Near miss for Jacks
                  Chris Solari
                  Argus Leader

published: 10/3/2004

SDSU defense solid in 14-7 loss to No. 13 Cal Poly

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - In a game plagued by turnovers, South Dakota State made the costliest.

Brad Nelson's interception with about three minutes left halted the Jackrabbits' strong offensive showing in a chilly second half Saturday night against 13th-ranked Cal Poly. A blocked field goal gave SDSU one more shot in the hurry-up offense, but the Mustangs' ferocious defense held on for a hard-fought 14-7 Great West Football Conference victory in front of 8,417 fans, the fifth-largest crowd in Mustang Stadium's history.

"Every loss is hard," said linebacker Chris Coauette, who had 10 tackles in the Jackrabbits' staunch defensive effort. "We never stopped playing. If there's a bonus to take from this, it's that." . . .

"If we're an average team, there's a moral victory," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "We're not an average team. We don't aspire to be an average team."

The key difference in the game was a special teams meltdown. Cal Poly's Darrell Jones returned a second-quarter punt 89 yards, the final score for the Mustangs (4-0, 1-0 Great West) who survived four turnovers.

Jones had 131 return yards on the four punts he fielded.

"Actually, we've come to expect that from him," Mustangs coach Rich Ellerson said of Jones' fifth career punt return TD. "We work hard at that because we think special teams is a special skill. We try to take advantage of that part of the game and, obviously, that's not the first time that's happened."

Nelson had SDSU on the move the entire second half, but it was backup quarterback Andy Kardoes who got the Jacks back in the game. Set up by a Mike James interception, redshirt freshman Kardoes shuffled into the end zone from 5 yards out to close 12-play, 54-yard drive with 8:01 remaining.

SDSU got the ball back quickly, but at their own 9. Nelson found Josh Davis for 21 yards to give them some room, but a miscommunication between the two players three plays later allowed Cal Poly's Ken Chicoine to steal an errant pass and run it back to the Jacks' 23.

Cal Poly's drive stalled, and SDSU's D.J. Fischer blocked Byungwoo Yoon's 37-yard field goal try to give the Jacks the ball. However, Nelson threw three incomplete passes, including the final one on fourth-and-7 that allowed the Mustangs to run out the clock.

SDSU outgained Cal Poly 262-225, but failed to capitalize on early Mustang turnovers.

"I really believe in my heart, and I think the film will show it, that we should have won this football game," Stiegelmeier said. . . .

SDSU returns home next Saturday to face North Dakota State at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium in the first battle for the Dakota Marker trophy.

Again, I love what Stig had to say to Chris. That is what I want to hear from our Head Coach. Time to move on and get ready for NDSU.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bison! ;D

Comment

Back from Cal-Poly. Plane touched down at 4:40 this morning..
                    Poly has an excellent defense, but the Jacks defense played their butts off!
                    The Poly coaches were very complimentary after the game, and were a bit surprised that the Jacks played them that tough. They were held to about half their normal offense.
                    The Jacks coaches say the Bison defense is just as athletic as Cal Poly, but is in a more conventional set.
                    Crowd expectations are running 12K or higher...should be fun!

Comment

An excellant effort. I also would like to commend the coaching staff for implementing the adjustments throughout the game. They have the team well prepared for most anything. Little mistakes cost this one, not being totally out classed.

I am impressed and can't wait for Saturday night.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Wow! You guys are really coming into the league the right way and I really see nothing but good thins happening. Good luck against your next adversary I know how you all love them. ;D

Comment

Thanks bluedog. I am glad Southern bounced back nicely.

Comment

A solid performance by the Jacks, there is no question about that. Good job!

Comment

Working...
                            X