NDSU/SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU/SDSU

I'm so jealous of all of you who get to go to Saturday's game. The early weather reports are for a beautiful day and evening. I expect a very large crowd, 12,000-plus. Wish I could be there.

I'm going to tune it in on our college TV station's satellite dish. My wife and I will probably be the only two people in Norman, Oklahoma whose Saturday highlight will be something other than OU-Texas.

Comment

There are two articles about the up and coming game with NDSU in the Fargo Forum  As with the Argus, USD and Augies game is more important.  Until A Robinson incident SDSU will get no more coverage.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...Mike%20McFeely

Rivalry just not natural
      Mike McFeely, The Forum
      Published Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Rivalries can't be created at press conferences. They can't be forced. They can't be imposed on fans. They can't be manufactured when the timing is most convenient.

They just happen. Naturally, over time, without anybody declaring that, yes indeed, this is a rivalry.

Rivalries also need some genuine passion, with a healthy spoonful of derision -- if not downright hatred.

Does anybody remember the date when a North Dakota State president of days gone by stepped behind a lectern and said, "We have a rivalry with the University of North Dakota, so please pay special attention to Saturday's game?"

Of course not.

Which is why the ongoing attempt to create a "rivalry" between NDSU and South Dakota State is silly.

Despite the best attempts of NDSU, SDSU and a couple of student organizations at the schools -- entities which today will hold a news conference to unveil the Dakota Marker trophy that will go to the winner of the yearly football game between the Bison and Jackrabbits, beginning Saturday -- there is no rivalry here.

And, frankly, there probably will never be one.

The schools, after all, have played 90 times dating to 1903. If a natural rivalry hasn't incubated on its own already, it's doubtful a piece of stone is going to ignite one now.

We all know what this is about. It's about a couple of Division I-AA newbies who lost their traditional archrivals trying to show that life is going on just fine without UND and the University of South Dakota.

Who needs them, right? We've got our own rivalry.

Except that, well, there just isn't one.

Sorry.

There is no particular dislike between the schools, no disdain between the cities of Fargo and Brookings, no sniping between alumni about which university is better, no one-liners about who farms and who owns the farm.

The football coaches, Craig Bohl at NDSU and John Stigelmeier at SDSU, are even chummy.

And you try to call this is a rivalry?

Last December, after UND announced it would no longer play NDSU in men's and women's basketball, we attempted in this space to stir the pot between Brookings and Fargo. We threw insults at the city and South Dakota itself. We mocked the quality of education available at SDSU. We hurled some really bad jokes at the wall, just to see what stuck.

And the response from SoDak? Nothing. Nada. Not one single nasty e-mail, phone call or letter.

Which tells us one of two things: Either the slack-jawed yokels from Brookings don't respond to great writing, or there are absolutely no hard feelings between NDSU and SDSU.

We have an inkling it's the latter.

So, Bison fans, feel free to get as worked up as you want over the game this Saturday. It actually should be a pretty good contest, played in front of a good crowd on a beautiful autumn evening. Enjoy.

But, in terms of it being a win-or-be-miserable-for-a-year game, the best piece of advice we can give is this: Be patient.

Sometime within the next 2 to 5 years the Bison will play the Sioux again. The Nickel Trophy will again be up for grabs. And all of North Dakota will be in a tizzy.

You'll have your rivalry again.

And it'll be a real rivalry. The one that really matters.

It won't be a substitute, cooked up with a contrived trophy and proclaimed at a press conference, which is all the newborn one with SDSU is.

Forum sports columnist Mike McFeely can reached at (701) 241-5580 or mmcfeely@forumcomm.com

Comment

Here is the second article, and excuse me the first one was a column and not an article.

Jacks show improvement
        By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
        Published Tuesday, October 05, 2004

A conference title is almost out of reach for South Dakota State. But if the Great West Football Conference had a most improved award, the Jackrabbits would a good choice.

A 52-0 season-opening loss at California Davis had last place written all over SDSU. The league had the preseason appearance of being balanced with blowouts not expected in any games.

"We went out there and we were not close to our potential," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "We were way, way off."

Cal Davis scored 31 points on its first 19 plays. But since, the Jackrabbits have regrouped their outlook within the team, the Division I-AA circles and the Brookings, S.D., community in general.

A 31-24 win at Southern University (La.) and a hard fought 14-7 loss at No. 13-ranked California Poly quieted pessimists who were against SDSU moving up a division, Stiegelmeier said.

RELATED CONTENT
        Mike McFeely column: Rivalry just not natural
        "People may not be on the bandwagon but they're showing more belief in what we're doing," he said. "We're all from the Midwest. Most of us are slow moving, conservative, resist change and need proof to jump out of our comfort zones. Initially, there was a lot of questioning, even in our state legislature. But the win over Southern and our volleyball team beating Boston College and some positive things within our university environment have slowly moved some of those people ahead."

A lot of people are expected Saturday night at 6:40 when the Jacks host North Dakota State at Couglin-Alumni Stadium. WDAY-TV in Fargo is airing the game on its statewide ABC network.

SDSU is 0-2 in the league and 3-2 overall. NDSU still has Great West hopes at 0-1, 4-1 overall.

"This is crunch time in our conference," NDSU coach Craig Bohl said.

SDSU's game with Cal Davis is not part of the team's film exchange, but Bohl called SDSU's loss to Cal Davis "an aberration."

"Just throw it out the window," he said. "I know this, they beat other good teams since that time and football teams do change."

NDSU is coming off a 24-14 win at Nicholls State (La.) on Saturday. The only health concern is wide receiver Allen Burrell's twisted ankle, something Bohl said shouldn't keep Burrell from the SDSU game.

"When you get into games like this, you need to by physical," Bohl said. "That's true in every game but in a rivalry, if your guys are knocking their guys back, that's a telltale to how the game is going. That doesn't mean you always win but that's a pretty good sign."

Playing unbeaten Cal Poly to a virtually even game is a good sign for Jacks fans, although Stiegelmeier is treating it like any other loss. An 89-yard punt return for a touchdown held up as the winning score.

"I don't want that to permeate our football program," he said. "I don't want us to feel content we played a good football team close. We want to move this baby ahead rapidly and there are a lot of battles to fight."

The Bison record book has another Dahl in it. Sophomore strong safety Craig Dahl tied a team record with 12 solo tackles Saturday night against Nicholls State.

It equaled a 27-year old mark. Defensive end Jerry Dahl, not related to Craig Dahl, had 12 solo stops against South Dakota State.

For his efforts, Craig Dahl was named the Great West defensive player of the week, the second time he's gotten the honor this year.
        eaders can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546

Comment

NDSU wins by three touchdowns.

See y'all on the 30th.

Comment

Originally posted by gasoutherneagle

See y'all on the 30th.

Your comments are getting very old. SDSU does not play GSU until the end of the month - we do not really care about GSU until then. Even if SDSU loses down there this year, I'll put my money on SDSU when GSU is the visiting team in Brookings in 2005.

And by the way - SDSU wins this weekend 21-14..

Comment

In my opinion this is the biggest game of the season for the Jackrabbits. A loss on Saturday and we fall to 0-3 in the GWFC. We have road games at Montana St, Georgia Southern, UNC, and Southern Utah; all extremely tough contests.

With a loss on Saturday many of the gains from the victory over Southern and the good performance at Poly will be diminished, not eliminated but diminished. Not asking for added pressure but if we want continued recognition during our inagural season we need to beat the bison this weekend.

Lastly, we definitely can beat the bison on Saturday and I expect we will. Special teams and turnovers will again be the key. Good luck Jacks lets roll the bison.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

if you're hoping for help on special teams and with turnovers, i think you'll be disappointed

i think with both teams playing good football/focusing on the fundamentals, i think the bison will win probably by 14, we're bigger, faster, and stronger and it will show

but if stauss throws a couple of picks it could get interesting

Comment

I watched the NDSU vs UNC game and I am not sure that you are bigger, faster, or stronger.  Have you seen the Jackrabbits play this year?  :

Jacks by 3.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bison!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by gasoutherneagle

See y'all on the 30th.  

Man it is early, put the moonshine down.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bison.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthDakotaBison

but if stauss throws a couple of picks it could get interesting
                      Don't you mean when he throws a couple of picks. Hasn't he thrown a couple of picks against both (UNC & Nicholls) good teams you played?

Comment

yes he has,

if he throws one, we'll be ok, two ! and i'll be ready for walker to be put in

unc was an event onto itself, (ie you and Davis)

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by jack100

Your comments are getting very old.  SDSU does not play GSU until the end of the month - we do not really care about GSU until then.  Even if SDSU loses down there this year, I'll put my money on SDSU when GSU is the visiting team in Brookings in 2005.

And by the way - SDSU wins this weekend 21-14..
                            I couldn't give a crap less what you think of my comments. As a member of this board, I get heard just like everyone else. Don't like it? Then don't freakin' read it.

PS - A fool and his money are soon parted

Comment

*Please use the smack board for smack, the moderator

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill
                                ;D > :*Please use the smack board for smack, the moderator
                                In the State of Georgia, when attacked, deadly force is sometimes allowed.

Comment

Working...
                                X