Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV Coverage of the Jacks in South Dakota

I suspect this is exactly the case.

Another question, does WNAX provide the internet service free of charge to SDSU? The ads are not heard over the internet. Most DI universities (and a lot of DII universities) do not provide free internet for major sports.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

In most cases when ads are not streamed it is because the radio station does not want to get into a "rights fees" situation with BMI or ASCAP concering the music and voice talent. That is why you do not hear ads on our stream, and why very few music stations stream at all. Some do I know, but many do not. We do not stream anything but the actual voice of our announcers. No ads, no bumper music in and out of the game, nothing but the guy calling the action for the Canaries, high school, USF, etc.

Comment

You do have to look at everything when working deals. USD's previous scoreboards were "donated" by Coca-Cola in exchange for the exclusive fountain pop rights. Not only did they get all the fountain pop spigots, the agreement required that USD receive no volume discounts for the length of the deal (I can't remember how long). When I was in law school, the cafeterias had to charge the equivalent of 20 oz bottle at a gas station to break even on the small cup sold - no refills either. The head of the food service told us that they estimated that if USD had done a "normal" deal with Coke, USD would have made enough money to purchase the scoreboards twice.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Below is Montana State Football TV schedule for 2004

2004 MSU Television Schedule
          Sept 11 Adams State -- Omega -- 1 pm
          Sept 18 Cal Poly -- Omega -- 1 pm
          Sept 25 at Colorado State -- Max Media/RapComm -- 1 pm
          Oct 2 at Idaho State -- Altitude/Omega -- 6 pm
          Oct 9 Weber State -- Altitude/Omega/Max Media -- 1:30 pm
          Oct 16 Portland State -- Omega -- 1 pm
          Oct 23 South Dakota State -- Omega -- 1 pm
          Oct 30 at Northern Arizona -- Omega -- 7 pm
          Nov 6 at Sac State -- Omega -- 5 pm
          Nov 13 Eastern Washington -- Omega -- 12 noon
          Nov 20 at Montana -- KPAX -- 12 noon

Comment

Seeing that EVERY game Montana St. plays this year is on TV brings up a question. Does the Big Sky Conf has a TV contract for its members to broadcast games its members play. Or does the Montana State athletic Dept have a contract to have all Montana State games broadcast?

If its a Big Sky Conf contract, I would assume that if SDSU got into the Big Sky this would result in some SDSU games getting televised.

Also, it would appear that EVERY Montana St. AND U of Montana football game is on TV. Montana has about the same population as SD and has 2 universities that have all of their games on TV. So why can't SDSU get any games on TV. This doesn't make sense. Again, it would seem that this is something the athletic dept has to make happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1
              Seeing that EVERY game Montana St. plays this year is on TV brings up a question.  Does the Big Sky Conf has a TV contract for its members to broadcast games its members play.  Or does the Montana State athletic Dept have a contract to have all Montana State games broadcast?

If its a Big Sky Conf contract, I would assume that if SDSU got into the Big Sky this would result in some SDSU games getting televised.

Also, it would appear that EVERY Montana St. AND U of Montana football game is on TV.  Montana has about the same population as SD and has 2 universities that have all of their games on TV.  So why can't SDSU get any games on TV.  This doesn't make sense.  Again, it would seem that this is something the athletic dept has to make happen.
              The answear is both.  The Big Sky has a contract and Montana St. also has a contract.  When comparing SD to Montana keep in mind that both of the Montana Schools made the jump to D-I/I-AA a long time ago and have won National Championships in football.  It would be interesting to know how long they have had TV deals.

Another point is that Montana supports it's D-I schools above all others. This is something that we need to work towards. They don't have some of the same issues that we face here in South Dakota.

Give the program time, I think in the not so distant future you will see more Jacks games on TV.  Especially if we get into the Big Sky.  Some local and some on regional cable outlets.  UNC just got a TV deal this year (ouch not sure they want people watching them this year. ) after a Top 25 finish in I-AA last year so good things may be coming our way.  They just may need some time.

Go State!  ;D  

Comment

Looking at the Montana St schedule also gets me very excited about the future for SDSU athletics and hopeful they get into the Big Sky. Which schedule would you rather have?

Montana St.
                Montana
                NDSU
                Northern Ariz
                Idaho St.
                Colorado St ( or some other DI program)
                Weber St
                etc.

OR

Augie
                St. Cloud
                Mankato
                Winona St.
                SD Tech
                Truman St.
                Peru St.
                Some school from Oregon you've never heard of

Come on Big Sky, Let us In!!!

Comment

What would it take for a local SD station to pick up the feed for the Montana State game?

Comment

I don't know what it would take for one of the local stations to pick up the feed, but i would assume it would be easy for any sports bar, establishment, house, etc. to pick up the feed if they get satelitte television.  I have a friend that is the manager at cubbies in brookings and i was going to ask him if they thought about getting the game.  I watched the SDSU and USD basketball game there last spring and it was a fun atmosphere.   Plus they would make a decent amount of change i would imagine during the game.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

That would be great if a local bar could pick that up :

Comment

The Big Sky schedule would be great BUT our 2005 football schedule is not to bad. Would be nice to see Southern (La) in that Nov 10th spot. I am to understand Northern Iowa was on there till they got a chance to play Iowa or Iowa State.

Sept 10th Valparaiso
                        Sept. 17th at Montana
                        Sept. 24th Cal-Poly
                        Oct. 1st at Texas State
                        Oct. 8th UC-Davis (Hobo Day)
                        Oct. 15th at NDSU
                        Oct. 22nd Missouri-Rolla
                        Oct. 29th Georgia Southern
                        Nov. 5th Southern Utah
                        Nov. 12th Open
                        Nov. 19th Northern Colorado

Getting those all those southern boys up here in late Oct early Nov is not a bad idea. The weather can be a good equalizer.

Comment

Working...
                        X