NDSU game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU game thread

I dont think a football game should be decided by a puff of wind, rain etc.  Inside football is played as pure as it can be.  Its up to the athletes the coaches and the ability of the team to play together to win.  Not all football will be played inside, ever.  So that leaves room for both schools of thought.  I know Im not alone in my feelings about this, but the best football and the best football atmoshpere are created by outdoor tailgating and indoor ball.  

Weather conditions are only part of the game when it is played outside. Bad weather degrades the quality of play and affects outcomes.

Comment

I would much rather have one play decided by a slippery field or a puff of wind, than a whole season decided be a knee injury due to crappy turf. ???
      Football is meant to be played outside.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

AMEN!

Comment

I would think if you ask any players the vast majority would rather play on grass. I know that factored in on my sons decision on where toplay

Go Jacks !!!!
          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

After having had 13 knee surgeries, I can only tell you this: never played on turf and thank God I didn't. Of course I also thank God that I wasn't born when it was survival of the fittest, as I obviously would not have made it very long. ;D

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JBB
              I dont think a football game should be decided by a puff of wind, rain etc.  Inside football is played as pure as it can be.  Its up to the athletes the coaches and the ability of the team to play together to win.  Not all football will be played inside, ever.  So that leaves room for both schools of thought.  I know Im not alone in my feelings about this, but the best football and the best football atmoshpere are created by outdoor tailgating and indoor ball.  

Weather conditions are only part of the game when it is played outside.  Bad weather degrades the quality of play and affects outcomes.
              If this is truly how you feel I think its sad.  Is it then fair to project this attitude towards all sports?  Would you suggest golf indoors? (Don't answer that)
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jack100
                Bohl does not give much credit to SDSU.  Says that NDSU played their worst game of the season while SDSU played their best game.
                He's just cranky because somebody called the Husker radio show last night and swore they saw the return of the Bohl Sieve Defense in Lubbock on Saturday.

It's nice he's already giving us bulletinboard material for next year.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

If I were Coach Bohl I would be very disappointed as he was after the game. When you give up two 4th down conversions and miss several tackles, you got to be concerned about the play of your team. I dont think its a case where Coach did not want to give SDSU credit, its about his own Bison Nation that he has to go home to and explain the game that slipped away in the last two minutes.

In terms of execution on both sides of the ball, the Bison had less than acceptable results. The Bison nation has high expectations of their football team, and bragging about how good SDSU is as a team does not take the bitterness out of the Bison Fans. My guess is Coach Bohl does not want to leave Fargo the same way he left Lincoln Nebraska. I think he would like to leave on his own terms.

So that is not to say SDSU played a good game, we did.
                  NDSU could have played a much better, they did not and they lost. Thats the story. About the only thing worse that could have happened to NDSU was to lose 70 to 10 like UNL did to Texas Tech this past weekend.

I wish the SDSU nation had the same high expectations that NDSU has and hopefully this season is the start of high expectations.

Comment

One thing i have noticed alot in the last few days is how many people saw this as a huge upset that we beat NDSU..
                    Maybe it is because of the history of the programs, but this year i don't think one team was better than the other. I think it is negative to our program an in the minds of our fans that this was an upset. To me it wasn't, it was one good football team beating another good football team. I see this in the post above by SDSU fan and you may be on to something about the past but lets look at the future. I know Mike H got wind of this today as Stig was very adament on this during the Jackrabbit report this afternoon. It was no upset he said and kind of turned the media away for thinking it was. I liked what i heard, and i think a lot more people need to think that way for our football program to build on the success of this team. I must say i have been more impressed by Coach Stig and his comments this year than any that i can remember. I thought he might be in a bubble year in his position as far as the direction on the program, but i am impressed with what he has done with the players and the coaches around him. Kudos Stig!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bring on the pheasants and then Montana St.

Sorry Fellas I have a feeling this may not be too popular, but Go yankees tonight as well, if there is one thing that i bleed along the lines of yellow and blue it would be pinstripes.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I think jackrabbit1979 is on to something here. You could cite scholarship numbers and past national championships, but the reality is that both teams are brand new D1AA members, starting up from scratch in a new division and a new conference. Both teams are finding that it can at times be tough going, but that there are opportunities here.

I think the opportunity for SDSU is, frankly, to overcome the idea that the D1 move is about basketball only. This can be a fresh start and the beginning of something great for football, too. Some people are very down on our long-term football prospects, but we have a good facility (the NDSU fans on Bisonville.com, by the way, were raving about how great outdoor football at Coughlin was last weekend), a good scholarship plan that will accelerate if the Big Sky comes calling, and good coaches and administrators. This really is a chance for SDSU to start anew in football and build something great without the baggage of 10 or 15 average DII years hanging around our necks and slowing recruiting, fundraising, etc.

I have said before that it's really fun to be looking forward to opponents other than Mankato State or UNO and the same old games in the NCC. That spirit of change and adventure seems to have energized many fans, not to mention the players and coaches. This season certainly feels like a fresh start to me. And I'm sure it's paying dividends with recruits and donors.

Comment

Following up on what OK_Jackrabbit and jack100 have said, I will restate what I said previously about NDSU being the Yankees of D2 football. Saturday's victory was a super game played against a stellar opponent with the richest tradition. But it was no upset.

While many of you will remember my initial hesitation about the move to D1 (and still not completely on board but much more comfortable and learning more every day---don't go there!), I wish to comment briefly on the comments about the NCC and the fresh start. Certainly there is a bright new future in untested waters and great trips for the Jacks (e.g. I personally favor the Big Sky because we have great friends in Great Falls and Portland). That said, however, the NCC in its heyday was THE elite of Division II and a source of great pride for those involved especially in the Upper Midwest. A friend here in Rochester who played football for UND once commented that most people around here have so very little contact with D1AA football. Interesting point...

The reality of change (destruction?) within D2 athletics have rendered the once great NCC to near death. We should honor our great past with proper respect all the while moving ahead to a better, albeit very challenging, future.

Comment

Ive got BISON memorabelia back to 1914 and appreciate what your saying. That was the 91st meeting. I think in those circumstances, unless one team is clearly superior and in this case niether was, you can say the game will be hard fought on an equal footing. I also believe thats true about UNC. Thats why there is something special about playing the old NCC foes.

I dont believe it was an upset either, other than the fact that the BISON had one more win. Statistically those teams were about dead even.

You have a week off. A good game against Montana State would really give you a head of steam going into GSU. You guys have a boat load of football glory to grab onto. Good Luck!!

Comment

Working...
                          X