Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU Kicker Suspended.

SDSUFAN

How can you see "a pattern of behavior" as you said earlier. It is the only event we know of in this kid's life. I am sorry you had a problem and am cheering you on for beating it, but you are jumping to conclusions.

Myself, along with several of my close football firends drank a lot in college. I graduated with highest honors, had a successful football career, got married, and now have a good job. Just because this kid got wasted and did something stupid is no just cause to say he has a problem.

Comment

Rabbit Football ALum:
      I am glad that things have went well for you.

Is being suspended from the team and facing two criminal traspassing counts not a problem? If its not a problem what is it? Did this incident happen before or after he celebrated his 21st birthday? Would it had happen without consumption of alchohol?

Now if that is not a problem, then I must be awfully stupid and maybe just to end this thread, I can join the denial boat and say Mr Vartanian does not have a problem. Hey I can play the denial game too. I know form experience how that works. Its up to Cory Vartarian to decide whether he has a problem, its his life after all. I am going to let him do that.

Alchoholism is a progressive and additctive disease. When a person crosses over from a social drinker to a problem drinker is defined as an invisable line by various groups and agencies who are knowledgeable in alchohol abuse.

My definition of social drinker is going to a SDSU pregame rally having a few beers and later you are ready to watch the game. You enjoy the game and drive home safely and make love to your wife. To me that is normal and probably fits your lifestyle and that of a social drinker.

A problem drinker drinks to get drunk and totally blasted. Its seems amongst younger groups, this behaviour is acceptable and harmless, until they get in trouble or die of poison. This is the risk your friends experienced and I experienced when I was young. There is no glamour here and I blame the beer industry for creating this imagine of gusto and good times. They never talk about auto accident deaths that involve alchohol and hoards they will never mention the Spady lady who died of alchohol poisoning about a month ago in Boulder Colorado. These things would not sell their product. This is the risks and considerations of a free society and UNC would not have Notingham Field where it not for the Coors Family Foundation.

Those who must continue drinking and drink tell they are intoxicated have reasons to be concerned. It may not mean they are problem drinkers and your friends may not have a problem. As I said in the first post. alchohol affects each every individual differently. Where the addiction begins is an something that the medical and social scienetists have not been able to determine. There is evidence that alchoholism is inherited, but not totally conclusive. It has a cultural side to it too, so hard to state any facts and and a great deal of research is needed.

If you keep ending up in court like I did, then the judge you face will start to ask that question: "Do you have a problem with alchohol?" How you reply can affect what happens to the rest of your life. I know. I finally said yes I have a problem and from that point on I choose not to drink for that day. Thirty one years later, I am here to enjoy this board and express my views. Sometimes my logic is absent, but I respect eveyone on this board and their views, even Mike H's tough questions. Some one who does a study of all the WPA projects that have benefited high school athletics in South Dakota has to be okay. Great job Mike.

Maybe we need to get back to football.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit_FB_Alum
        SDSUFAN

How can you see "a pattern of behavior" as you said earlier. It is the only event we know of in this kid's life. I am sorry you had a problem and am cheering you on for beating it, but you are jumping to conclusions.

Myself, along with several of my close football firends drank a lot in college. I graduated with highest honors, had a successful football career, got married, and now have a good job. Just because this kid got wasted and did something stupid is no just cause to say he has a problem.

I totally agree with you. One occurance does not make a pattern, no matter the extrapolation, speculation, or imagination.

Comment

Working...
        X