Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting Letter to Editor Argus Leader

Originally posted by Mike_H
    Alumguy: Exactly what I have been saying for weeks. And yet, people still think there is some sort of conspiracy on behalf of the media.
    Mike:
    There may not be a conspiracy, but you sure have a HATE STATE attitude, and today after not being able to get the KWSN stream on the internet, I was listening when you dropped a comment about SDSU having to fix the facility and add scholarships, and you give this OH BOY, and negative sigh. I did not need to see your face to get the feeling that you continue to express. Could this be something to do with your past experience with KJJQ? Please comment.

Comment

I too am getting a little bored with Mike H's postings. He is like a politician who never really says what they truly feel. I'm hearing KFAN out of the cities is trying hard to get in the Sioux Falls Market. Then Sioux Falls can experience some real radio talent. I know Mike H. thinks KFAN is too Minnesota Sports focused to make it in that market. I guess we will see. I think it beats ESPN radio all day long with the exception of KSWN's 2 hour local programming!

Comment

Nice job of turning this post into being about me.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
          One of my former employers had a three word phrase for the sales force  that said Think! Win! Sell! Maybe thats what our approach should be when we compose letters if one feels inclined to do so.

That would be a change from Mr. Morrison's approach. They teach them at usd to Stink! Grin! Smell! Looks like he got 2 out of 3! What do you expect, he's a numbers cruncher, not a marketing guy! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
            I too am getting a little bored with Mike H's postings. He is like a politician who never really says what they truly feel.
            Right on. You only have to listen on the air a few times to know that he has something against SDSU. He is not a politician on his show, you know how he feels. I am not sure why he isn't as clear when he posts.

Comment

There are 2 sides to every issue. I believe it is Mike's job to explore both sides and comment on them. I feel he is very objective in his comments on the air and his posts on this site. Most of the SDSU posters on this site obviously have a very pro-SDSU attitude, which they should. Unfortunately, most of you also have a very paranoid view of anyone who dare question anything or anyone regarding your beloved SDSU. You attribute any negative comment regarding SDSU as part of the vast anti-SDSU conspiracy, which is obviously fully funded and backed by all the affluent and influential USD alumni who completely control all the news media in South Dakota. Please note that you suspicions are correct. I attended the last meeting of the USD Mafia, held 2 weekends ago at Carey's in Vermillion. The main topic of the meeting was to continue pressuring all the news media to portray SDSU as negatively as possible. A motion to do so was made and passed by a unanimous vote of all present.

Comment

WOW,
                A USD grad writes a ridiculous letter and somehow there is a media bias against SDSU. If you look at the Argus on a daily basis, you understand his complaints aren't true. Most people I've talked to came away with the impression the guy is a whiner and poor-sport.

As for KFAN, their local talent sucks, except for Barreiro. I've tried listening to them and get so sick of their attempts at being "cool and hip" it makes me want to puke. When we moved back from the Cities to SF many people asked me about the difference between KFAN and KWSN, I told them it is like listening to junior high kids as opposed to adults. I think KFAN would fail miserably in the SF market.

I guess this means that SDSU fans can have differences of opinion. JackGuyII's opinion is just as valid as mine. Gosh, I wonder if we have differences over other things related to SDSU?

I also heard Mike's comment about Chris Solari's article and thought it was a little ridiculous for a MEDIA guy to make that comment. Mike, that was not the purpose of Chris' article and you know it. The purpose of the article was to show that SDSU's football team is alot farther along than most people thought it would be and that can only help when making an application to the Big Sky. Solari has on other occasions written about the problems with getting into the BSC, and what it is going to cost. This was an article that was supposed to shine some light on unexpected success, similar to all the stories that the Argus has run on the USD football program.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think we need to give Mike a break. I know that sounds funny coming from me. I exchanged a few instant messages with Mike, and I will share that I totally misunderstood his comments about Chris's article.
                  Mike was kind of amazed that Chris was all caught up in the thrilling game and then shifted to the hurdles that lie ahead for SDSU. In other words he was criticing Chris article and not necessarily SDSU.  

I suppose if Doug Fullerton is indeed reading this open letter, it would have been better to not call attention to the hurdles ahead for SDSU, namely the scholarships and improvements to Coughlin. Its a debatable point.

The most significant thing that I have found in the private messages is that Mike worked at KJJQ for a couple of years and used to host the pregame shows prior to the Jackrabbit games. He is not anti SDSU, but rather seems to be skeptical of the financial bump for going D1 and if it will subsequently impact academics if the funds to finance this move do not materialize.

A legit concern, but I told him that if this was during the 1950's I would also be very concerned as we did not have good leadership in the President's office. Since then HM Briggs and his successors have provided excellent leadership to SDSU.

I think also Peggy Miller is a big breathe of fresh air in that she came in 1998 as an outsider, one who the Argus took a shot at, because of  her Kentucky accent, in one of the articles.  Personally I would not care if she had a thick Russian accent, its what she is thinking and proposing that matters and nothing else.

The truth of the matter she has a vision that is dearly needed for SDSU and South Dakota.  So if you trust Peggy,we dont have to worry one iota about the CEO at Citibank what his opinion is about coverage. We need to continue to support SDSU with gifts and any other way that we can.

Comment

1stRow and SDSUFAN: Thanks for the compliments.

Jackguy2: Our company has been sold. Maybe the new owners can see fit to bring in some real talent or go to complete syndication, and then SDSU can get ignored entirely here in Sioux Falls!

Dances and Jackguy2: You are right. I do not post everything I am thinking, because I still have some sense of decency, and I am not hiding behind a fake name.

One of the funny things that happens on this board is that every time I do post an honest opinion, I get 4 posters after me telling what I REALLY think and WHY I think it, or what I really meant!

Comment

Re: Mike

I actually think Craig and Mike do a good job in their show. They have given SDSU their own show. I don't think USD has their own(at least I haven't heard any commercials for it). When I heard what Mike said yesterday about the scholarships and facilities, I actually thought he meant more like "they are doing this good with about half the scholarships, just wait til they can get more," but I could be wrong too. Anyways, keep up the good work Craig and Mike. Can I ask who will be on the SDSU show today, and it starts at 4:00 today right? Please let us know.

Thanks

Comment

For the record, KWSN did not give SDSU a show.  First Premier Bank of Sioux Falls sponsors a show that is on KWSN. Mike H pointed this out on another thread.

Comment

Mike H. is a lot of things, by that I mean a father, husband, sports fan, etc... On this site he upholds his role as a journalist/radio personality. I have been harsh regarding some of his posts but when given the opportunity to correspond on a personal level I have seen my error. He offers an objective opinion which most of us avid supporters of SDSU cannot. I appreciate his continued contributions as long as I can be critical of a few, or maybe more than a few. Sound alright with you Mike?
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                            1stRow and SDSUFAN:
                            One of the funny things that happens on this board is that every time I do post an honest opinion, I get 4 posters after me telling what I REALLY think and WHY I think it, or what I really meant!
                            Mike: When you make a comment like that...you know what I think you're really thinking? Well, let me tell you.... ;D

Comment

Just my opinion here, but I've grown weary of opening threads and watching them turn into percieved attacks on other members of the board. I know we're in the political season of attack ads, but this is getting boring and ridiculous. I don't care anymore what conversations people have had with Mike_H off board, or that he may be anti-DI, or any of that crap. This board is about free speech, expressing opinions and I respect that. But the time has come that I can't check into find out what's happening without getting sick of reading what certain board members write, or their style of writing over and over. So with that I bid the board a fond farewell.

Go Jacks.

Comment

Catch Em All
                                Good Luck. I can't help but feel that your expressions of disgust are pointed in my direction.  Mike H has raised questions that some of us on the board dont have the courage to ask.  I am as guilty as anyone about making comments that appear and are personal attack towards members of the board. I may get hot and bothered for one day, but usually I find the next day the error of my ways and apologize. If its wrong to apologize and to contact members through instant message, then I think we should all leave and have Tony take this board down. I dont think all 228 members feel that way, but enjoy the exchanges.  This is intented to be informal and everyone should express their feelings, and everyone has the right to call someone out if they have made erroneous statements.

Comment

Working...
                                X