Prediction time: GSU-SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prediction time: GSU-SDSU

Any team has a chance on any given Saturday to win. With that being said....no upset this weekend.

GSU 56
    SDSU 17

I appreciate the positive thinking by the JackRabbit fans. My only question for a few of you that predict the Eagles to score less than 28....do you HONESTLY think that SDSU will hold the Eagles to less points (in Statesboro) than the Univ. of Georgia could this year?

Please do not forget that GSU is averaging more than 52 points a game this year.....If the JackRabbits want to win this game, they had better be prepared to score in the 50's.

Comment

laugh all you want, as a matter of fact, there is at least one top 10 team GSU could beat or at least hang with. Utah benefits from a weak schedule and will get embarassed if they get a bid for a BCS bowl. GSU could play with these boys any day of the week. Remember, GSU was down 13-7 at halftime against the # 3 team in the nation. Nobody in the last 9 years I think has rushed for as many yards against UGA and never has a I-AA opponent scored that many points. Say what you want but the Eagles are a premier team and they'll be showing your Jackrabbits how football is played. By the way, I might give you guys flack but I enjoy arguing with you. You guys at least will fight for your team and do not get mad that a few GSU fans came over to talk a little smack. Southern Illinois can not say the same. Props to the SDSU fans.

Comment

Originally posted by wesley_4024
        laugh all you want, as a matter of fact, there is at least one top 10 team GSU could beat or at least hang with. Utah benefits from a weak schedule and will get embarassed if they get a bid for a BCS bowl. GSU could play with these boys any day of the week. Remember, GSU was down 13-7 at halftime against the # 3 team in the nation. Nobody in the last 9 years I think has rushed for as many yards against UGA and never has a I-AA opponent scored that many points. Say what you want but the Eagles are a premier team and they'll be showing your Jackrabbits how football is played. By the way, I might give you guys flack but I enjoy arguing with you. You guys at least will fight for your team and do not get mad that a few GSU fans came over to talk a little smack. Southern Illinois can not say the same. Props to the SDSU fans.

Congratulations of being down only 13-7 at the half. But make no mistake UGA did not play very well. It is interesting to think that you can play with the top 25 of D1A - did I say interesting - no I meant laughable. You mention Utah - the same Utah that drilled Texas A&M. Isn't that A & M's only loss to Utah? GSA would not stand a chance against the top 25 of D1A. That said, SDSU most likely will lose to GSA.

Comment

Having everyone tell each other they have no perspective on the "reality" of how this game will play out is the only laughable thing of all of these posts. Everyone who spends the time to visit this message board suffers from the same disease: unflappable belief in our teams. No one posting a message on this board, NO ONE, has an unbiased perspective to judge the two teams involved in this weeks game. Especially two schools that have never faced each other nor have the majority of us even ventured to the other school's state. (As a matter of fact, I consider myself an extremely biased Jacks fan and hope that never changes.)

Granted, we have never played against the GSU option attack. However, to claim, as someone did earlier in this thread, that the option is a unique offense that SDSU has never played against is wrong. In the past, several of the Jacks' competitors employed various option schemes.

NDSU ran the Nebraska-like lead option scheme which generally employed the "I" formation with a FB and HB lined up behind the QB. UNO ran a scheme similar to NDSU, but usually had some bigger horses in the backfield and tended to pound with the FB a little more. USD ran a scheme similar to the Wishbone option with a HB lined up behind the QB, two WingBacks and a lone widereceiver. They came at you from every angle. Finally, Augie ran more of a Speed Option scheme with a pro set. Generally they had a lone HB behind the QB with 3 WR's.

All of those teams ran the option. The option has been around since the beginning of football. There are many variations of the option, but it always comes down to running a play where the desired result on offense is to have one defensive player left to stop 2 potential ball carriers. The job of the defensive team is to get enough players to stop each potential ballcarrier in the option attack. No matter how you scheme the option, it always comes down to those two basic desired results.

GSU seems to be very precise in their ability to run the option as it was designed to be run. That precision is what the Jacks will worry about, not some new fangled "option" offense. We've been playing against the option for years.

As a die hard Jacks fan, it is refreshing to meet equally fanatic GSU fans. That's what makes college football so great. Please feel free to keep telling us how great your team is and we'll keep telling you how we have just as good of a shot to win against you as we do to lose. That's what keeps bringing us back to this thread.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by wesley_4024
            laugh all you want, as a matter of fact, there is at least one top 10 team GSU could beat or at least hang with. Utah benefits from a weak schedule and will get embarassed if they get a bid for a BCS bowl.  GSU could play with these boys any day of the week.  Remember, GSU was down 13-7 at halftime against the # 3 team in the nation.  Nobody in the last 9 years I think has rushed for as many yards against UGA and never has a I-AA opponent scored that many points.  Say what you want but the Eagles are a premier team and they'll be showing your Jackrabbits how football is played.  By the way, I might give you guys flack but I enjoy arguing with you.  You guys at least will fight for your team and do not get mad that a few GSU fans came over to talk a little smack.  Southern Illinois can not say the same.  Props to the SDSU fans.
            You should be embarassed for saying Utah will get embarassed in a BCS bowl. The UNLV coach said that Utah is as good as any of the top teams in the nation, and he has played Tennessee and Wisconsin. Have you even watched Utah on TV? Don't be suprised if they run the table and get screwed out of a national championship appearance due to the damned BCS......but I digress.

GSU: 35
            SDSU: 17

Comment

Just to add to Milwaukee's thoughts, I remember reading a story posted on this board that Cal-Poly runs an option offense.  That was just three games ago. They are like #6 in the nation and we held them to 14 points. If the special teams had played a little better we might have won that game. We have a chance on Saturday.

Comment

From an unbiased perspective the Jacks don't seem to stand a chance in the game. I think they'll lose by a few touchdowns. I predicted 42-17. But the one thing that has impressed me about this team is the improvement all season long. Last year they were D-II. This year they're beating Southern on the road, and taking Montana State to the wire in Bozeman.

They won't win this game, but GSU fans might come away with a little more respect for this team, b/c they may just play you tougher than some of your other oppoenents. And rememeber, once again, this team is one year removed from D-II with half the scholarships of your other I-AA oppoenents.

Finally, the comment about Utah was absurd. Utah would beat GSU without a doubt.

Comment

GSU 48-7

Comment

Not many SDSU people cam over to chat on our sites so I thought I would take a look at what is going on. I am one who thinks we could play wit a lot of the top 25 in 1A.

This year we have had a lot of contributions from many players.....Some games we have used 4 different QB's, 4 FB's, etc. With J.C Smith we stopped returning their numerous punts and just let the QB run up the middle or down the ball a good part of the second half. We scored 84 points. We are averaging over 50 pts a game. I predicted 63 to 0 and I'm sticking to it. ;D

I am very glad you are coming down for the game and welcome you to come by and say hello athe Red Flag Gang's tailgate. Wear shorts it will be in the mid to upper 80's. 8)

Comment

I am not unbiased and never will be but I am realistic. I know we can compete but to win on the road against an annual IAA powerhouse with one of their best teams ever is unrealistic. Nothing wrong with dreaming about it, though. Defense will need to play every second of every down. Offense needs to stay on the field as long as possible. Red zone trips must result in TD's. Final result:

GSU 34
                      SDSU 24

Little article from Mercury news regarding GSU fans and admin (St Cloud State grad).

Team ranks loyal fans No. 1 factor in Georgia Southern's home advantage
                      SCOTT GARNER

Associated Press

STATESBORO, Ga. - Last season, Roger King was playing football for one of the most successful prep teams in the state, Peach County. The crowds for his senior season of high school football were loud and loyal as the team marched to a state title.

It couldn't get any better than that, right?

Wrong.

When King gets off the bus at the gates of Paulson Stadium Saturday for Georgia Southern's final regular-season home game of the year against South Dakota State, he'll be greeted by blaring horns, waving flags and the adoring cheers of the most hard core of Georgia Southern fans.

"Man, you get off the bus and it's like, 'gosh,'" King said. "They just make you want to go out there and work harder to make them cheer more."

Wide-eyed freshmen aren't the only folks associated with the football program impressed by the crowds. An average attendance of over 16,000 has nearly everyone around the team excited about the prospects of playing at Paulson.

Besides putting a talented team on the field (Georgia Southern is 7-1 heading into Saturday's game) the school made some changes to the pre-game festivities, adding live music and other fan-friendly events to the traditional tailgating.

Something's going right. The Eagles drew over 22,000 fans to their last contest against Appalachian State, including a record crowd of students that almost topped the 10,000 mark. That's almost double the total student body at Georgia Southern when football was resurrected in 1982.

Reserved seating in the south home stands is nearly sold out for Saturday's meeting with the Jackrabbits, too. Considering that Georgia and Florida are also playing each other Saturday, that is a tremendous achievement for the Eagles.

"It says that people are coming just to see this team play no matter who the opponent is," said athletic director Sam Baker. "It's not taking anything away from South Dakota State, but they came in here as a first-year I-AA program that maybe people didn't know as much about."

South Dakota State is unfamiliar to almost everyone except Georgia Southern President Bruce Grube, who came from St. Cloud State University in Minnesota. The Jackrabbits shared a Division II conference with St. Cloud when Grube was there.

"I hope we beat them by 50, because I've got some payback phone calls to make," said Grube, who attended Tuesday's practice.

If the Eagles do post a blowout win, the crowd could be a big factor.

"You can't tune it out," said freshman slotback Lynon Jefferson. "I can't hear a thing when I'm out there sometimes."

Jefferson, a redshirt freshman, has seen the transformation made on the crowd by GSU's success.

"The fans are just so much more into every game, every play it seems like," he said.

And at the rate the Eagles are going, the fans will get some more home football - the playoff kind - before it's all said and done.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by rkf23
                        Not many SDSU people cam over to chat on our sites so I thought I would take a look at what is going on.  I am one who thinks we could play wit a lot of the top 25 in 1A.  

This year we have had a lot of contributions from many players.....Some games we have used 4 different QB's, 4 FB's, etc.  With J.C Smith we stopped returning their numerous punts and just let the QB run up the middle or down the ball a good part of the second half.  We scored 84 points.  We are averaging over 50 pts a game.  I predicted 63 to 0 and I'm sticking to it.  ;D

I am very glad you are coming down for the game and welcome you to come by and say hello athe Red Flag Gang's tailgate.  Wear shorts it will be in the mid to upper 80's.   8)
                        RKF,

Just got back after being gone on family business. I think few would disagree with you that you could "play" with a lot of I-A's top 25. That is a far cry from what one Eagle fan claimed that you would beat most of the top 25 from I-A. I am very excited to be playing a team the caliber of GSU, I am even more excited that you are coming up to Brookings next fall. You are an outstanding team and I think you are the best in I-AA, that does not stop me from hopping that we upset you.

The best news for us is that we are in a no lose situation. If we lose that is what is expected. After all we are brand new to I-AA and only have 36 scholarships. If we win or stay close . . .

Last thought, I wouldn't hold Johnson C. Smith up as an example of anything. They are a very bad D-II team.

As Alumguy pointed out:

Georgia Southern 58, Wofford College 14. Wofford's record is 5-2.

Georgia Southern 38, Western Carolina 16. WC's record is 2-6.

Georgia Southern 48, Elon 14. Elon's record is 2-5.

Georgia Southern 51, Chattanooga 17. Chattanooga's record is 1-6.

Georgia Southern 84, Johnson C. Smith 3. Johnson C. Smith's record is 0-9.

Georgia Southern 42, The Citadel 7. The Citadel's record is 1-5.

Georgia Southern 54, Appalachian State 7. Appalachian's record is 5-3.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Eagles! ;D

Comment

SDSU should have started with a little easier team at the I-AA level.

GSU 58 - SDSU 7

Comment

The "weak schedule" arguement doesn't and never has mattered as far as GSU is concerned. 6 of the 7 games listed are conference teams, and most years at this time all of them are only one two or three win teams.

This is the same type of arguement we get from teams we don't play regularly that outweigh us or teams that can "stop the run".
                            It doesn't matter how much a team weighs or how good it claims to stop the run. These teams are exposed to a different brand of football, and 80-85% of the time they leave dumbfounded wondering how they lost by 40+. I could make an almost endless list of teams we have played who took home a pounding that thought they could take advantage of our "weak schedule" or our size or their defensive prowess.

Not saying it will happen tomorrow, but if it doesn't I'll be suprised.

Comment

Baldy,

Re-read my post. I give the Eagles their due. I am not saying that you are not a good team because of your schedule. However I am saying don't tell me how great you are because of the pounding you layed on a SUPER WEAK D-II team like Johnson C. Smith. My post was directed at RFK and a portion of his post, not the Eagle Nation.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

RKF,

Just got back after being gone on family business. I think few would disagree with you that you could "play" with a lot of I-A's top 25. That is a far cry from what one Eagle fan claimed that you would beat most of the top 25 from I-A. I am very excited to be playing a team the caliber of GSU, I am even more excited that you are coming up to Brookings next fall. You are an outstanding team and I think you are the best in I-AA, that does not stop me from hopping that we upset you.

The best news for us is that we are in a no lose situation. If we lose that is what is expected. After all we are brand new to I-AA and only have 36 scholarships. If we win or stay close . . .

Last thought, I wouldn't hold Johnson C. Smith up as an example of anything. They are a very bad D-II team.

As Alumguy pointed out:

Georgia Southern 58, Wofford College 14. Wofford's record is 5-2.

Georgia Southern 38, Western Carolina 16. WC's record is 2-6.

Georgia Southern 48, Elon 14. Elon's record is 2-5.

Georgia Southern 51, Chattanooga 17. Chattanooga's record is 1-6.

Georgia Southern 84, Johnson C. Smith 3. Johnson C. Smith's record is 0-9.

Georgia Southern 42, The Citadel 7. The Citadel's record is 1-5.

Georgia Southern 54, Appalachian State 7. Appalachian's record is 5-3.

What is the difference. I said half too I think, or at least thats what I meant. He said a lot. Its the same difference. I think you will understand what kind of powerhouse gsu is after saturday. UGA is not the first team we've played well out of I-A. After Saturday, South Dakota State will be go home thinking they just played a I-A team. Why do you think we dominate I-AA with 6 national championships in only 20 years of football????? Because we have superior talent and a lot of the talent we have could play on many I-A teams. If and when we finally move up to I-A in 10 years or so, remember what I said. Georgia Southern will not be dominated by I-A opponents.

Comment

Working...
                                X