Prediction time: GSU-SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prediction time: GSU-SDSU

Just because you start out a statement with "no smack talk intended" doesn't excuse the smack talk. It's like saying, no offense and then proceeding to make an offensive statment. Asking (I'm paraphrasing here) "what makes SDSU think they can beat GSU, I mean really" is talking smack. Putting the tag line "no smack talk intended" does not change that. But please let me explain what makes us think SDSU can win.

The beauty of a true sports fan is that a fan will continue to believe in their team's ability to pull out a victory no matter how daunting of a task that victory seems. I predicted, with my realist hat on, that GSU would win a close game with SDSU shocking GSU with their ability to play defense. With my "fan" hat on, I am hoping for an upset special with SDSU shocking all of D1AA. Why would I predict and root for such a seemingly unrealistic result? Because that's my job as a fan. Most of us realize that SDSU is a HUGE underdog in this week's game. As a fan, we like to gloss over that reality and convince each other that we are going to win. We do this for a couple of reasons. 1) If the fans believe and the players believe and the coaches believe...2) If we win, we can all turn around and say "I told you so, I told you our team would win", which is the ultimate experience as a true believing sports (SDSU) fan.

No smack talk intended.

-GW
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

On September 2, 1995, the lowly Northwestern Wildcats of the Big 10 went to South Bend, IN to play Notre Dame. For years, Northwestern was the laughing stock of college football.

As reported in the press after the game, the Northwestern team bus pulled up in front of historic Notre Dame stadium on the day of the game. Gary Barnett, then Northwestern's coach, said to his players, "Anyone who doesn't think we can win today should stay on this bus. After we win, don't start celebrating. Act like you've done this before." To the shock of the college football world, Northwestern beat Lou Holtz's Fighting Irish 17-15.

Anything can happen in sports ... anything.

Comment

The Eagles are ripe for a let down. Big Conference game next week and a I-AA new comer this week. SDSU is a shocker.

SDSU 31
        GSU 28

Comment

an upset by sdsu isn't going to happen. hope the rabbits will keep the game respectable but the Eagles are on a roll and won't be overlookin' you.

GSU 45
          sdsu 17

i'm amazed at some of jackrabbit's prediction that you're going to knock off the eagles. actually it just shows you're lack of understanding (or denial) of what you will be facing on saturday. anyway, as i said i hope you keep it respectable and good luck with the remainder of your season.

Comment

Wow!! Such bold predictions from the JackRabbit fans. Have you read the Eagle game notes and looked at our home record? We are 135-15(.900) in Paulson Stadium all time. This year we have outscored our opponents 224-38 at home(many of the pts scored upon us are with the 2nd and 3rd stringers playing). Teams which play us annually in our conference know what we are going to do and still can't stop it. You must know something that we don't know.

Good luck this weekend as you leave with the Statesboro Blues.

Eagles 63
            Jackrabbits 10

Comment

So why did GSU bother to go play Georgia? What made you think you could go between the hedges and knock of a top DI team, I mean really.

I'm amazed at some GSU fans' amazement that we'd have the audacity to show up an play the game. Actually, it just shows your lack of understanding (or denial) of what college football, and athletics in general, is all about.

You never lose at home. You outscore your opponents by a ton. So what? I'll bet Georgia doesn't lose to I-AA teams very often. I'll bet the Dawgs have outscored their 1-AA opponents by a ton. I'll bet you believed going in that you at least had a shot. And I'll bet there were a bunch of Georgia fans babbling on and on about how some little I-AA team had no business stepping foot on the same field with the mighty Bulldogs. 48-28. Why souldn't we believe we can hang?

By your own logic, it looks to me like you're just a bunch of hypocrites.

And I guess this "no smack talk intended" thread now needs to be moved.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Even if we do lose to GSU and lose by a margin, I think we will have a good finish. We should take care of Augie big time on Hobo Day and we could win at SUU and UNC, which would give us an identical record of last year seven wins four loses. I did not expect us to win more than three games to be totally honest and we have made some excellent showings. I will accept the GSU blowout if and when it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
                  I'm amazed at some GSU fans' amazement that we'd have the audacity to show up an play the game. Actually, it just shows your lack of understanding (or denial) of what college football, and athletics in general, is all about.
                  i commend the jackrabbits for scheduling the game with us. i even guessed that you might even score 17 points against us....an indication that you may be able to hang with us for a quarter or two.

however, i think these predictions of an upset is funny. to think your defensive players are going to prepare in a short week's time to figure how to stop our offense and then actually do it is laughable. the only way we'll get stopped is if we stop ourselves by committing multiple turnovers.

georgia spent several weeks practicing against our offense before the season started, yet we still scored 28 points against their defense. are you assuming your defense is as good as or better than the dawgs in stopping our offense?

i clearly understand what it's like to win 6 national d1-aa championships in less than 20 years by a program that started from nothing. and the winning tradition continues. that's what great about college football. you might try to understand that, but your rabbits can't relate to it.

Comment

well, gsu wanted to schedule UGA because its a huge money market. Both teams are from GA and almost every football fan in GA are at the game to represent the 2 largest schools from this state. Unlike SDSU, GSU is a perrenial powerhouse in I-AA and has been for many years. SDSU was never much more than mediocre in div II. GSU has also received a offer from the sun belt conference which is in I-A and I believe we have had other offers but we denied them because we want to enter into a more prestigious conference if and when we move up to I-A. I really dont think any fan of GSU actually thought we would beat UGA. I hate UGA with a passion but I and I thought they would slaughter GSU. The thing GSU has that most programs don't have is a unconventional offense that isn't like your regular run-of-the-mill offense that most every other team runs. This gives GSU a huge advantage and is why they are able to have success against I-A programs, success meaning keeping the game respectable. SDSU does not have a unconventional offense and basically, they are playing a team out of I-AA that could beat most teams in the top 25 in I-A. That is why EAGLE fans think you are off your rocker when you think SDSU can upset GSU. The only way SDSU comes away with a win is if, well, nevermind, there is no way. We could play our freshmen and beat your team we are so deep. That is not flaming, thats stating the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLEagle
                      Wow!! Such bold predictions from the JackRabbit fans....   You must know something that we don't know.

Eagles 63
                      Jackrabbits 10
                      I know that more and more Ga So fans are checking out this message board.

Just curious? Maybe you can feel a little unease: you know, in the back of your mind.

This is the perfect setup for an upset. If the Jacks don't pull it off, everyone will understand. I think you can be all but guaranteed that the Jacks will play much better than you anticipate.

We must concede the Eagles are a great football team...that's why this is a good game for the Jacks.

Let's play ball.

Comment

There is this team from North Dakota that has fans that are always talking about their 8 National Championships.  Funny thing is those old championships and $1.50 will buy you a cup of coffee, but they don't put any points on the scoreboard.  Just ask our friends from NDSU if you don't believe me.  We own the Dakota Marker.  That is the same NDSU team that beat Montana last year when none of you "established" I-AA school fans gave them a chance.  We will be in Statesboro on Saturday, your Eagles better be ready to play.

Comment

Originally posted by wesley_4024
                           The thing GSU has that most programs don't have is a unconventional offense that isn't like your regular run-of-the-mill offense . . .  This gives GSU a huge advantage and is why they are able to have success against I-A programs . . . they (SDSU) are playing a team out of I-AA that could beat most teams in the top 25 in I-A.  
                          Ha ha ha ha. Thanks for the laugh that was a good one. How far did Georgia Southern get in the I-AA playoff last year? Oh that is right you didn't get in. Not flamming just stating a fact. You have a very good team this year but please let's try and keep some prospective.

Comment

Originally posted by DanceswithRabbits
                            You have a very good team this year but please let's try and keep some prospective.
                            i can keep this perspective which is....

2003:
                            GSU 7 - 4 no playoff appearance (1st time in 6 yrs)
                            sdsu 7 - 4 when was the last time you made the playoffs? 1979?

2004:
                            GSU 7 - 1 (#2 in nation in d1-aa)
                            sdsu 4 - 3

you have a mediocre team. not flamming, just your won/loss record.

Comment

We are not the ones bragging that we could beat "most teams in the top 25 in I-A".

Comment

I wasn't going to say anything in this thread, because I do think Georgia Southern will win this game. But when you said that you're team could "beat most d1-a top 25 teams," you are not thining straight. they could probably beat many d1-a teams, but not the top ones. If they could, then they would already be in a top conference in d1-a, or at least in d1-a. That's all there is to it. My prediction is 42-17. I know that SDSU doesn't have the same talent as you guys, but it's not going to be 60-10 or anything like that. SDSU is a middle of the pack D1-aa team right now, whether you think so or not. You've never seen SDSU play, just like we haven't seen GSU play. Why does that make your prediction any better than our prediction. I'll also admit that I do not believe SDSU will pull the upset.

Comment

Working...
                                X