• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football players looking for a new place to live

From KELO:

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDet...fm?ID=22,38053

Fire Leaves Four SDSU Football Players Homeless

A fire tore through a Brookings house this week, leaving four South Dakota State University football players without a home.

Fire victim Micah Johnson says, "We saw smoke coming out from under the couches and we saw that it was comming from downstairs."

"Just popped up out of bed, I took off down the stairs," says Dusty Snyders, by the time I got down stairs the whole main level was filled with smoke, so ran outside with out a coat or shoes or anything."

Johnson says, "I was standing across the street it was getting smoky and just called my mom and told her I was watching our house burned down."}

Nothing in the two story house could be saved. With the help of the Red Cross, the four students are now staying at a hotel. . . .

Re: Football players looking for a new place to li

I don't know how far removed most of you are from actually living as a student in Brookings, but - despite the tradgedy of the event - I am not suprised by the fire.

Restrictions are put on athletes as far as getting a job, so, it puts alot of them living off campus in the lower rent houses around town. Some of these places are absolute dumps, and I don't know how they are cleared as habitable.

Combine this fire with the one that happened last year - the one that happened to members of the baseball team - and I'd say it might be in the interest of the University and the city of Brookings to look into housing in the area.

Comment

its not just the athletes living in the overpriced dumps. my son also lives in a run down house. is it gonna take someone dieing in a fire before something is done about it? i think there are a lot of fire traps. i can understand people not wanting to spend a lot on these college house but they should at least be made safe

Comment

The sad part about this situation is that many of the faculty members are owners of these dumps and rentals seem to be a way to supplement low salaries.

Since I am trying to relocate to Brookings, the housing I have seen todat is very overpriced. One reason I have been told is that parents often buy homes and keep them until their sons and daughters are done with SDSU and then sell again. The decent housing does not stay on the market very long and turns over often at a profit. Not all parents are coming out short on Brookings Housing and those who own these dumps are have some culpability here.

I should know exactly which house here burned since it was on third street and 12th ave which once was a very nice neighboorhood. Times change very quickly though.

Comment

No doubt that a lot of the rentals in Brookings are dumps. Hopefully something will be done about it soon. A 3 story house that my fiance lived in during undergrad has recently had it's basement apartment closed because of these terrible conditions.

One of my old landlords, Zeno Wicks (SDSU faculty and City board member I believe), could be classifed as a slum-lord. The houses he owns are absoulute pits--and he owns a lot of them. He is one of many.

Comment

I have been to some great parties at the football players houses. I can agree that their houses are real dumps but they sure do know how to throw a party!! Great times. Hopefully I won't get thrown out of the dorms and have to move into one myself. Got go out now and get some brew!!

Comment

Originally posted by partyboy1
              I have been to some great parties at the football players houses.  I can agree that their houses are real dumps but they sure do know how to throw a party!!  Great times.  Hopefully I won't get thrown out of the dorms and have to move into one myself.  Got go out now and get some brew!!

I see FAT JAKE has another alias! : : : : :

JBNJBQ

Comment

Originally posted by partyboy1
                I have been to some great parties at the football players houses.  I can agree that their houses are real dumps but they sure do know how to throw a party!!  Great times.  Hopefully I won't get thrown out of the dorms and have to move into one myself.  Got go out now and get some brew!!
                Nothing like have your priorities in order. Good luck with the rest of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                  No doubt that a lot of the rentals in Brookings are dumps.  Hopefully something will be done about it soon.  A 3 story house that my fiance lived in during undergrad has recently had it's basement apartment closed because of these terrible conditions.

One of my old landlords, Zeno Wicks (SDSU faculty and City board member I believe), could be classifed as a slum-lord.  The houses he owns are absoulute pits--and he owns a lot of them.  He is one of many.
                  Zeno has won several teaching awards and I suppose he has tenure. Professor Wicks seems to be able to do as he pleases including running slum rentals. I hope this fire is an eye opener to all that own these rentals and I am sure the President does not like this kind of publicty either. Hopefully some discussion and raising of standards will follow.

Comment

Does anyone know that this was an actual slum, or anything close to it? ALL old houses are going to lack electrical outlets. The same thing could happen to a very nice old house that lacks the outlets. This doesn't give them any bad publicity, because no one besides the people here know that the houses are owned by faculty. I went to a house of one of these players after a football game last year, and if it's the same house, it was not a slum by any means.

Comment

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/88...ml?mkey=448723

The article in the Collegian lists the address at 1222 3rd st, which would be between 12 and 13th ave's and also directly south of the campus 7 blocks.  That used to be a very nice neighborhood, with some faculty living on this street.  So its not like North Third Ave where I grew up and had all nice old Norwegian ladies about 50 years ago. The big advanture when I moved to town in 1953 was to play along the creek in Sexauer Park.  Fishing for crawfish and minnows.

That corner of town has really went down the tubes and is pretty much off campus student housing. If the fire happen in that area I would not at all be surprised.  A certain family whose name I will not mention moved a ton of houses into that area and I assume everything was up to code, but who knows. The area west of 3rd Ave to Sexauer park is a slum. In fact I recall a neighbor to the north came one day with a petition to stop this family and his inferior housing, and that has to be nearly 50 years ago.

I think Brookings could use some developers who could come up with new and affordable housing that is safe for students to live in and does not cost an arm and a leg.

I know now I am competing against parents of students who are buying up the affordable housing on the market and will later sell when their family is done at SDSU.  I cant blame them for what they are doing and heck if I were in their shoes, I would make that kind of an investment too.

SDSU needs  more dorms like the one under construction.  With apartment type dorms, the desire to live off campus in some of these places might dry up the demand, but I fear there are always some takers for the worst of the worst.

Comment

Actually, the house was EXTREMELY nice for a college house. It resembled a place that any normal family would live in. Everyone thought it was quite a score.. Now, think of the last college house that you had to take your shoes off to enter... I certainly can not. Anyway, it was sad that the place burned down.. The fellas lost alot of really nice things in the blaze. Best wishes to all of them.

Comment

Crack,

The house these players lived in was one of the nicer ones around. It wasn't typical college housing, and certainly wasn't priced in that range either. But...the house the baseball players lived in was a horse of a different color. That house was a disaster waiting to happen. The point remains that housing is an issue for the college, and specifically college athletes. Think back to all the houses you've seen throughout your years at State, Crack...can you see a problem?

Comment

I think it is typical for any collge town. Students can't afford anthing but the cheapest there is. And most students don't mind living in a dump because they don't want to take care of it anyway. And, if the owners were renting nice houses, they would just get trashed any way. I know a bunch of you are now going to come back at me with "Well, not all college students won't ruin a nice house and they don't all want to live in dumps." Yes, that is true, but for the most part my earlier statements are the norm.

Comment

Rabbit FB Alum is correct, There is always some sub standard housing around ALL large campuses. Actually Brookings has far fewer run down houses for students than most college towns.

Comment

Working...
                              X