NCAA rule changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA rule changes

The NCAA made it easier for I-AA schools to play I-A schools.  This is good news for SDSU!  8)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2049401

Brand leaves playoff scenario to BCS

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA will allow football teams to play 12 games per year, but it won't enter the postseason playoff fray.

The board of directors approved proposals on Thursday that would add a 12th game to Division I-A schedules -- starting in 2006 -- allow schools to count one victory over Division I-AA schools each year toward bowl eligibility, and loosen the requirements to qualify for Division I-A status.  .  .  .

Besides the 12th game, the NCAA will allow schools to count one victory over a I-AA opponent each year, starting this fall. Previously, schools could count one win every four years.

And smaller football programs, such as those in the Mountain West and Mid-American Conferences, also got good news. The NCAA will now allow schools to qualify for Division I-A if they average 15,000 in paid or actual attendance once every two years.

Previously, schools had to have 15,000 in actual attendance.  .  .  .

The board also approved a provision that would give men's basketball coaches more flexible recruiting calendars, and another proposal allowing men's and women's basketball coaches to instruct players for up to two hours per week during the offseason.

Freshmen also will be permitted to play in preseason exhibition games and keep their four additional years of eligibility as long as they do not play the rest of that season.

Also approved was an increase in the number of scholarships for women in gymnastics, soccer, volleyball and track and field. The board agreed to grant another year of eligibility to players who were academically ineligible as freshmen but completed 80 percent of their degree requirements after four years.

The committee defeated a measure that would have allowed coaches to watch voluntary workouts.

Go State!  ;D

Re: NCAA rule changes

Here are highlights from a story a little closer to home.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=Sports

Bison eye date with Gophers
    By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Friday, April 29, 2005

North Dakota State completed its 2005 football schedule Thursday and started its march toward a 2007 game with the University of Minnesota.

It was a busy day in the scheduling department. Bison administrators kept a watchful eye on the NCAA Division I Board of Directors meeting in Indianapolis, which gave the OK for Division I-A programs to schedule 12 games per season.

It paves the way for a Bison-Gophers game at the Metrodome in two years.

"We'll get right on that, and try and get that date locked in," NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said. . . .

Whether the Gophers will be willing to play the Bison is now up to Minnesota. The previous NCAA rule allowed 12 games per season on years when there were 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing date until the last in November. The 2003 season was the last and the next would have been 2008.

The legislation was defeated by the Division I-AA members of the board, meaning I-AA teams will continue to be allowed 11 games.

Taylor said he has no problem with that. Division I-AA teams like the financial guarantee a big-time I-A program like Minnesota can pay.

"As long as a I-A can play a I-AA every year," Taylor said. "I-AA has the playoffs. They don't need 12 games."

The proposal includes a stipulation allowing I-A teams to count one win per year against I-AA team for bowl eligibility. An NCAA release said the rule provides more incentive for competition between the two subdivisions.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Well, Texas_Jacks_Fan is closing in on my post count so I need to pick up the pace.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

With NDSU attempting to secure a date with Minnesota I wonder what "feelers" have been put out by our athletic adminstrtaion for a D1a opponent. I think it's unlikely that we would get on UM's schedule beings they seem to be favoring NDSU. There seems to be plenty of regional options for us: Iowa, Iowa St., Nebraska, Colorado, Colorado St., Air Force, Wisconsin, etc. It'd would be wonderful if we could be on one of these teams' schedule for 2007 or 2008.

Comment

It's doubtful that any 1A will schedule the Jacks until they hit the full 1AA scholarship complement. But the plan is now to add the 12th game, with a target of 6 home games each season.

Comment

I haven't decided if adding the 12th game or having a bye week is better. I understand the money part of it, but as a player, sometimes that bye week is a nice break...physically and mentally

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

It doesn't really matter in D1AA, but in D1 A for the NCAA to add this game and then to turn around and say they are concerned about the students and academics is ridiculous. To me they are concerned about one thing, $$$$$$$$$. Not to mention the fact they won't add a one game playoff to decide the NC or add a playoff system because they don't want the student athletes to be held out of classes anymore. : : : :
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I thought the 12 game was only for 1-A.

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...196§ion=Sports

Bison eye date with Gophers
                By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
                Published Friday, April 29, 2005

The legislation was defeated by the Division I-AA members of the board, meaning I-AA teams will continue to be allowed 11 games.

Taylor said he has no problem with that. Division I-AA teams like the financial guarantee a big-time I-A program like Minnesota can pay.

"As long as a I-A can play a I-AA every year," Taylor said. "I-AA has the playoffs. They don't need 12 games."

The proposal includes a stipulation allowing I-A teams to count one win per year against I-AA team for bowl eligibility. An NCAA release said the rule provides more incentive for competition between the two subdivisions.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                  I thought the 12 game was only for 1-A.
                  Yup, I-AA stayed at 11 games, plus the playoffs.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                    With NDSU attempting to secure a date with Minnesota I wonder what "feelers" have been put out by our athletic adminstrtaion for a D1a opponent.  I think it's unlikely that we would get on UM's schedule beings they seem to be favoring NDSU.  There seems to be plenty of regional options for us: Iowa, Iowa St., Nebraska, Colorado, Colorado St., Air Force, Wisconsin, etc.  It'd would be wonderful if we could be on one of these teams' schedule for 2007 or 2008.
                    A I-AA school must still average 60 grants over the three preceeding seasons for the game to count towards bowl eligibility for the I-A school.

That's why NDSU funded 54.5 last year and 63 this year. 2007 will mark NDSU having averaged over 60 grants, over the three previous seasons (54.5 in 2004. 63 in 2005, and 63 in 2006, average=60.17).

Comment

I personally would like to see the Jacks accelarate football scholarships in order to take advantage of the DIA paydays that are out there and to become more competitive sooner. I realize there are other factors such as Title IX and money that may be the obstacles. An annual $250,000 check from a DIA insitution may help the financial aspect of it.

Comment

$250,000 is on the low end of guarantees, LSU generally pays $500,000 -750,000. I heard from a reliable source that the Western Illinois game two years ago was $800,000. That would pay for a lot of scholarships.

Comment

Idea is to level playing fieldAssociated Press

FARGO, N.D. -- An NCAA Division II college football task force is discussing the idea of a new championship division that could incorporate some Division I-AA programs.

The group, which has the blessing of the Division II Presidents Council, will be looking at dividing Division II and I-AA football schools based on the number of scholarships.

Division II has a maximum of 36 scholarships and Division I-AA a maximum of 63. North Central Conference Commissioner Roger Thomas, who is part of the task force, said there are fully funded and poorly funded schools at both levels.

"The basic premise is to find some reasonable levels to compete for championships for all Division II and I-AA programs and level the playing field," he said.

However, Thomas said a change will not come easily.

"Reorganization is tough for anybody," he said.

Gene Taylor, athletic director for Division I-AA North Dakota State, said he believes the idea will be discussed at a national athletic directors meeting in June in Orlando, Fla.

"I think I-AA will be cautious of it because of the relationship with I-A football," he said.

Last week, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors granted I-A teams a 12th game, which could pave the way for more matchups between I-AA and I-A schools.

A possible division of scholarships under the task force's proposed concept could be 40 to 63, 20 to 40 and 20 and below. However, with the exception of two non-scholarship leagues, Taylor said most I-AA schools have at least 45 scholarships, "with more (schools) at the top end."

Division II has seen an exit of programs to Division I in recent years. NDSU, South Dakota State and Northern Colorado have left the Division II NCC. The University of North Dakota, where Thomas formerly served as athletic director, remains in the conference.

Thomas said the NCAA appears open to the task force's idea.

"If it's a fair level of play, they said they're interested," he said.

Comment

* From the moderator

Please keep in mind that the majority of posts, on this thread, have dealt with Rule Changes that the NCAA has adopted.  This most recent post is dealing with a D-II task force that is looking at an issue.  No rule changes have been proposed, no members of D-I schools are included in this task force.  Please don't let the title of the thread confuse you.

Comment

My own take on this Roger Thomas proposal is that the remainder of the NCC is starting to feel the effect of more money being offered by SDSU and NDSU. Sometimes in the past, these football recruiting battles have been settled by offering an individual 100 bucks more a year. I dont know all the details, but UND was after Chris Couaette, and somehow they did offer the same as SDSU. That would be prime example of what I speak. Crookston as we know is less than 50 miles from Grand Forks.

Even with 42, this coming year and 46, the next year that will make some difference in recruiting in SD and Minnesota particularily.

I may be crazy as a hoot owl, but I think this is what is driving Roger Thomas to suggest something that has no chance of acceptence. Why would D1AA go for this? Why would the entire D1 membership want this? When you consider all the hoops jumps SDSU has had to do to be D1, why would they make this proposal a rule change? I think the D1 membership views a reclassification as one for all sports and to pick and choice is not an option.
                              Its a pipe dream at best.

Comment

Working...
                              X