Marketing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marketing

TJF beat me to it but had the same argument about population size for D1. There are way more than I am listing but most people should get the point.

Clemson, SC 11,100 University of Clemson
    Pullman, WA 23,500 Washington St. University
    Bozeman, MT 23,000 Montana St. University
    Mississippi St., MS 12,500 Misssissippi St. University
    Starkville, MS is real close by at 18,000
    Laramie, WY 27,000 University of Wyoming
    Moscow, ID 18,500 University of Idaho

Comment

Well since I brought up the population issue (unfortunately) I just want to clarify what I was trying to state. Because Fargo has 5 times the population it will have more entertainment venues than Brookings. Just the way it is. I didn't intend to imply that Brookings' size will impede in anyway SDSU's ability to succeed at the D1 level. I think the two (several more since I started typing) examples above indicate that it is not necessary to have a large city for D1 to succeed. I happen to know that Ole Miss has about 11000 students also, so it is close to SDSU on that aspect also. As for having 65,000 fans show up for a game, I think that is down the road a bit for SDSU, but something to shoot for.

As for Brookings & big box stores, different topic for a different board, IMHO.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

*From the moderator - Brookings has every right to be concerned about it's sales tax revenue.  After all that is one of the main revenue sources for any municipality.  Efforts to maximize that revenue will help SDSU.  Brookings sales taxes helped pay for the construction of the Performing Arts Center on campus, Fishback Soccer Park (home of SDSU Women's Soccer), and many things that help make Brookings and SDSU special.  How Brookings chooses to do that , as 1stRow said, is a "topic for a different board".  Please refrain from the political posts on this board.  

Comment

I think part of any comprehensive marketing campaign has to include a plan to get more students engaged in SDSU athletics. As our enrollment continues to push towards 11,000 we need to get those new students on campus interested in Jacks athletics soon after they arrive on campus. I know many kids close enough head home for the weekend. If there is a level of excitement and fun at our sports venues that is not to be missed it will encourage more kids to stick around for the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
            I think part of any comprehensive marketing campaign has to include a plan to get more students engaged in SDSU athletics. As our enrollment continues to push towards 11,000 we need to get those new students on campus interested in Jacks athletics soon after they arrive on campus. I know many kids close enough head home for the weekend. If there is a level of excitement and fun at our sports venues that is not to be missed it will encourage more kids to stick around for the weekend.
            I think this is key to increasing attendance, especially in Bball.  Maybe el_presidente could offer some insight into the plan to get more students involved in athlectics.  When I was in school they had the "Jacks Fanatics" fan club that seemed to be somewhat of a success.  Offering students incentives (free t-shirts, free food coupons, etc) will entice them to come--not that they should need incentives.  I don't think students going home for the weekend is a problem just at SDSU.  It seemed to be even more of problem at USD, DSU and I've heard that it's a trend at the North Dakota schools as well.

Comment

It was not my intention to venture into political territory regarding this marketing discussion.  My only point is that Brookings and SDSU are inextricably linked (should be obvious).  Larger communities are able to separate themselves from their respective universities but Brookings cannot.  Point:  What the city of Brookings does and HOW IT ACCOMPLISHES THAT has enormous implications for SDSU.  By creating a city and environment that is attractive and amenable to students and visitors alike, Brookings can do much to assist State in making this arduous transition all the more successful.  Key to this venture is a vibrant downtown.  

Please excuse me if I have overstepped my bounds.  My MN hometown is committing geographic and demographic suicide and I fear the same fate for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

I think this is key to increasing attendance, especially in Bball.  Maybe el_presidente could offer some insight into the plan to get more students involved in athlectics.  When I was in school they had the "Jacks Fanatics" fan club that seemed to be somewhat of a success.  Offering students incentives (free t-shirts, free food coupons, etc) will entice them to come--not that they should need incentives.  I don't think students going home for the weekend is a problem just at SDSU.  It seemed to be even more of problem at USD, DSU and I've heard that it's a trend at the North Dakota schools as well.

I think as the tailgating becomes more and more popular there will be fewer students going home on weekends when there are games in town. Whether or not the students actually go to the game is a different story, but I think the tailgating will continue to get more people involved.

Comment

Football doesn't seem to be a problem. The student section always seems to be full. But last season for basketball (I know it was a tough one), it didn't seem like there were any students at the games.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
                    It was not my intention to venture into political territory regarding this marketing discussion.  My only point is that Brookings and SDSU are inextricably linked (should be obvious).  Larger communities are able to separate themselves from their respective universities but Brookings cannot.  Point:  What the city of Brookings does and HOW IT ACCOMPLISHES THAT has enormous implications for SDSU.  By creating a city and environment that is attractive and amenable to students and visitors alike, Brookings can do much to assist State in making this arduous transition all the more successful.  Key to this venture is a vibrant downtown.  

Please excuse me if I have overstepped my bounds.  My MN hometown is committing geographic and demographic suicide and I fear the same fate for others.
                    91RABBIT has said it well here. I totally agree with all that he said.  The upper midwest needs to grab every opportunity available to garner economic development in this global economy. With Brookings and SDSU being closely tied since Day one back in 1888, its hard not to leave politics out since this is the alma mater of 40,000 folks who live many places elsewhere of "Some Place Special".

I do think that the Brookings city gov and CC both have  sat back on the D1 issue but could have been the leaders here when they were not.  As soon as 9000 plus show up for each football game this fall, they will then get excited and try to take honors for being advocates for change. I understand some of the locals were not very warm to the idea of playing UCD in Sioux Falls.

BTW since moving to the Brookings area, KJJQ has been running spot commericals nearly on the hour that feature Stig and others. So marketing of football has started locally.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit

I don't think you're out of line at all. And I don't think it's out of bounds to worry about how small communities thrive in this day and age. I think you're right on target.

Comment

Working...
                      X