Official Countdown Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official Countdown Thread

We haven't talked much about defense. How does everyone feel about the secondary, linebacking corps, the D-line ?

Comment

I have mixed thoughts about the defense next year.

I like the talent we have returning - I saw some things out of Mike James last year that I absolutey loved. He's a lively player and lays the wood. The Epps kid didn't play much, but showed flashes of gamebreaking ability...here's to hoping he puts it all together. I also liked what Hank McCall did for us last year...and word was he was playing out of position. Seems like State can churn out big, intelligent D-Linemen who fit the bill, and I wouldn't expect any less this year.

I am conflicted, though, by the loss of Ballard. I don't have to tell anyone who follows the team that he was a well liked and respected coach and an exceptional motivator. I don't know how the team will handle the loss.

Of course...with the weapons we can open up on offense, we might not have to worry about the defense all that much.

;D ;D ;D

Comment

The Jacks have always been blessed with good interior lineman, but we sometimes struggle with the DE position. Joey Abell is going to be a hard player to replace. In our scheme, the DE setting a solid anchor on outside run plays is Key. It will be interesting to see who fills those shoes.

One player that kind of got lost in the shuffle last year was Marty Krantz. He started at LB as a redshirt freshman (wearing my old number mind you) and started the first game last year before Stig and Ballard determined he was probably better suited for the Mike LB position. Thus, he ended up sitting behind our best player most of the time. I hope he sees this season as his season to reestablish himself as a stud LB. I think our Defense is going to pick up right where they left off last season.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Speaking of Kranz remindined me of Willie Jones. Out of H.S. he was a LB and I thought he was suppose to be a good one. The last two years he's been playing D-Line. Anyone have any insight? Did the coaches want him to switch or was it his choice?

Comment

With Willies size I think they intended him to be on the D-Line.

Comment

and

I think a few of the new defensive players will do very well this year. They may be young, but they will be good. Will be very hard to replace Abell and Coauette, but we will be anchored by Fisher, Koenigsfeld and Schlieman in the line with Kranz at linebacker...hopefully the new guys will pick up the slack

Go Jacks !!!!!
              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I noticed Kranz was pulled from the starting lineup after the debacle at Cal Davis and never saw much playing time after that. Does Marty have the quickness to play linebacker for the Jacks. He seems to be very strong against the run and is a sure tackler.

Comment

At the DII level he was quick enough to play Outside LB, but the Cal Davis game showed he was probaby not going to cut it in the 1AA level. And, he's a big enough kid that he's probably more suited for the Mike position anyway. The Mike backer will be his position if he's going to cut it at any of them.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

A couple of true freshman on the defensive side of the ball that I was impressed was Mitch Pontrelli and Brock Gentile. Mitch was a top Heavyweight wrestler out of the Twin Cities and was pressed into duty after an injury on the D-line. I think it would have been difficult to redshirt this kid even if the there had not been an injury ahead of him. Brock from Council Bluffs Ia played mainly special teams but was all over the field with his speed. He had options of walking on at Iowa and other places but am glad he came to SDSU and contribute immediately. I believe he has a twin brother or brother close to his age who is walking on at Iowa? I think it won't be long before another Twin City kid (Hank Goff) a 2005 recruit from Minnetonka will make his presence known. I saw him play in the Championship game and he was dominant.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                      At the DII level he was quick enough to play Outside LB, but the Cal Davis game showed he was probaby not going to cut it in the 1AA level.  And, he's a big enough kid that he's probably more suited for the Mike position anyway.  The Mike backer will be his position if he's going to cut it at any of them.
                      I talked with Kranz's older brother after the UNC game. He basically said that Marty was pulled to get more speed on the field. He also said Marty was staying positive about the situation and determined to be back on the field bigger, faster stronger. It sounds like he is a leader and someone we should be able to count on.
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Marty still has two years left to show he can play at this level!

Comment

I have a genuine curiosity about whether or not the kids we are bringing in this year will be red shirted. I know Stig has said that they have been recruiting as a D-I school for a few years now, but, the Jacks really put up a good showing in their first year of D-I play, and its my hope that it got the attention of some gems.

The list of recruits has alot of LBs on it, and with the strength of that unit gone, it would be nice to see if one of the young kids has the stones to play right away.

Go Jacks...beat the Eagles!!

Comment

To answer your inqury...

Players are usualy assumed to be redshirted. However, with the talent the Jacks are now pulling in the chances of one of the players being developed enough to play (mentally and physically) is much greater. Idealy every player recruited would be ready to play. Pulling a redshirt ususaly is based on one of two factors. A.) The athlete is developed enough to play. B.) There is a team need for the player at the given position. Each of these factors may sway the decision eather way. But, if the player is ready the coaches are willing. Coaches usualy attempt to phase the player into game play by utilizing them on special teams, the next step is limited game play.. the process is complete with full game play. Alltogether its a crap shoot...you never know exactly what your going to get..

Comment

I am hearing some very positive feedback about our new defensive coordinator, Jay Bubak. Guys seem to like him, he is a spirited indivual. I believe he will be a very good coach for us....

Go Jacks !!!!!!
                              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

There is some work going on now to have the spring game on April 23 played under the lights. Also to have some tailgate possibilities....

Comment

Working...
                                X