Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-La Crosse

Originally posted by Mike_H
    I think the biggest revelation on this thread is that SDSUFAN knows who Christopher Walken is! How the hell did THAT happen?

Mike H, I happen to find out who Christopher Walken was when I watched the Deer Hunter and watched that movie maybe 20 times. Being a Viet Nam era vet, I have found that movie very interesting. I could not believe a person could get as screwed up as the character played by Walken. Of course I have never tried H either, but Walken has won some weird parts and done them all well.

Hey Mike I do other things besides listening to Craig and Mike show. The reason I missed the skit was because I did not have local TV in my dish package in Nebraska for several years and my antenna could not pick up the NBC affliate in Lincoln/Omaha or any where else. Thats why I find the Saturday Nite Live reruns on the Comedy Channel new material.

Comment

JackMD: People have been talking about the strength of our opponents and out of the blue, you said:

we need to play bette by the time we roll into Montana.

Bette Middler plays football?

Just having some fun with you.

Comment

Commentary on several items in these posts:

1) The Alumni Association space was empty at tailgating because they are not starting their deal until the Valpo game (will include free food for those coming to wander around tailgating who don't have a reserved group space. And the students weren't around (at either tailgating or the game) in any numbers and that will change next week.

2) I was at the UC-Davis rout and the Saturday night game and I can tell you which one I think was best for the team...getting the kinks worked out and winning by 29 seems fairly decent to me.

The offensive line may be as good a line as we have ever had here -- and we started three sophomores and a junior along with the two seniors. In the fourth quarter, we were playing several redshirt freshmen and several different sophomores (not starters) and they were doing a great job. We ran three-deep at running back, including a couple of plays for the fourth spot, and substituted two and three deep at lots of other spots. Andy fumbles on the half-yard line, or it would have been 36 points. Sorry, but I think we need to take a deep breath and hold it a bit.

That's not to say that I think we have an improved D-1 team... I just don't think we know yet. JackMD is correct of course, the Montana game will give us a better idea. Going to Montana and getting beat won't mean we aren't improved, but showing up badly...might.

Finally, the SDSU football fans were practically mute. I do my best to try and get them up and cheering on 3rd down for the D and some help out, but it is a battle. We have a lot further to go with the crowd than we do with the football team.

Comment

jacks#1fan is right, andy fumbles on the 1 or it's 36 points. #2 running back fumbles and they run it in for a score, 42 points. Their other TD came off an interception which gave them a short field. In my mind, UW-L never seriously threatened the Jacks.

Comment

From the LaCrosse paper. Special teams do look very promising this year. Didn't really get to see kick and punt coverage but if that end holds up this will definitely be an advantage. Nice job by Parker and Neil.

UW-L special teams not so special in opener

By JOEL BADZINSKI / La Crosse Tribune

When the UW-La Crosse football team breaks down film of Saturday's 42-13 loss to South Dakota State University, it won't see many differences between itself and the NCAA Division I-AA program.

Except on special teams. It was a factor Eagles coach Larry Terry was well aware of as he prepared to face the Jackrabbits. In fact, Terry predicted the running game and special teams would determine the outcome.

Sure enough, SDSU rushed for 357 yards and four touchdowns while UW-L gained 52 yards on the ground. But that was overshadowed by the Eagles' crisp passing game, and Terry was not concerned about the production of his offensive line and tailbacks.

"Other teams are going to see that we passed the ball pretty well and if they try to stop that, we'll be able run the ball effectively," Terry said.

On the other hand, there was no contest between UW-L and SDSU on special teams.

It started when the Jackrabbits' Josh Davis returned the opening kickoff 30 yards-setting up a 55-yard touchdown run by Anthony Watson on the first play from scrimmage — and didn't let up.

Strong-legged kicker Parker Douglass pounded six of seven kickoffs into the end zone for no return and made all his extra points. Punter Neal Bainbridge was called on only twice and averaged 44 yards, pinning UW-L inside the 10 on one try.

SDSU's returners had 128 total yards, including a 46-yard kickoff return by JaRon Harris.

For the Eagles, freshman kicker Ryan Corneiller missed a 27-yard field goal and an extra point; freshman punter Dustan Christensen kicked six times for a 35.5-yard average; and the UW-L returners were only needed twice and had 18 total yards.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
              Strong-legged kicker Parker Douglass pounded six of seven kickoffs into the end zone for no return and made all his extra points. Punter Neal Bainbridge was called on only twice and averaged 44 yards, pinning UW-L inside the 10 on one try.
              I believe Andy Pick #99 was kicking off the whole game.

I was one that commented on the sound being a touch loud. (was on the 50 yard line, 8 rows up.) I was more a comment than a big complaint. I don't see too many being riled up about it, it's proably just right at the north end of the field.

Overall the new signage and scoreboard was very nice. I can't believe only one other person has commented on the pre-game video sequence. I hope they can play that right before the pride breaks in. I know if was pumping up the team, who likely already saw it.

Comment

Pick was kicking off, I failed to correct the article with respect to that.

Regardless, nice kicking game. Could make the difference in a close game, of which I suspect there will be many this year.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I didn't see the game, but can promise that we did very little stunting on the D-line. I'm fairly sure we ran a generic base package against them on defense which takes away sack totals and opens up passing against numbers. I imagine we'll get more of the same next week. We're going to save the fancy blitzes, stunting schemes and disguised coverages for the big boys. When the d-line holds the other team to 50 yards rushing, they're doing something right. Hopefully, getting pressure on the QB will come when we bust out the entire package. Don't fret, pets.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Back from anoter fun weekend in Brookings and here is my take.  

I had no problem with the new tailgating rules.  Texas_Jacks_Fan and I (along with other friends both new and old) staked out a first come first served claim just south of the new Softball Complex and just east of the reserved part of the Backyard.  We had a blast.  One of my favorite parts was talking with some girls off to the east of our location.  Seems they where USD alumni but had no problem wearing the blue and yellow SDSU t-shirts that they had on.  As they explained it "why not support South Dakota's D-I University" .  .  . and so it begins.

I loved the scoreboard and sound system.  The canned stuff was just ok but I expect when the Pride is in the stands they won't use that much (the canned stuff).  I did love the Christopher Waulken clip.  As far as using the Big & Rich song, well  they are hot right now.  ESPN used "Comin' to your City" to open College Game Day.  It works for me.

I wish we would have had more fans but it was labor day weekend, no Pride of the Dakotas, and we were playing a D-III school.  I look for a bigger crowd this weekend (sorry I can't make this one, but I will be back for Cal-Poly).

As far as the game goes, it was what it was.  A tune up game to open the season and we won big.  Can we get better? Sure.  Do we have to get better? Absolutely, but that is what is great about scheduling a couple of easier games to kick off the season.  It gives you a chance to work out the bugs before you have to take on some of the better teams.  Overall I really liked what I saw and am looking forward to getting back up to Brookings and seeing more!

Go State!  ;D

P.S. It was great getting to meet Laura, Josh, Kelly, Rob, Kerry, Darren, Ann, and Matt.  Hope to talk to you all again real soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X