• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Valparaiso

09/10/2005
    Jackrabbits Outrun Valpo 69-6
    http://www.gojacks.com/

BROOKINGS, SD - South Dakota State erupted for 31 second-quarter points as the Jackrabbits defeated Valparaiso 69-6 in the tenth annual Cereal Bowl at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium Saturday night.

The victory was SDSU’s tenth straight at home and gives the Jacks a 2-0 record heading into next week’s game at 1AA power Montana in Missoula.

An SDSU fumble led to a 46-yard field goal by Andrew McCawley as Valparaiso took an early 3-0 lead, but it took the Jacks just two plays to go on top for good as Chris Molitor finished off a 76-yard pass from Josh Davis off a reverse.

Cory Koenig added a one-yard run to cap a drive which started when Jason Nobiling recovered a fumble at the Valpo 33, and SDSU led 14-3 after the first period.

Then the Jacks erupted with a series of big play in the second quarter, starting when Anthony Watson broke a 47-yard run for a TD. Less than a minute later, Andrew Hoogeveen scored on a 14-yard pass interception. Then SDSU put together a 60-yard drive which required just four plays and a minute and a half, with Dan Dykhouse scoring on a 15-yard pass from Andy Kardoes.

Valpo got its second field goal, a 34-yarder by McCawley, again set up by a Jackrabbit fumble.

That came with 3:22 to go in the half, but the Jacks added a 27-yard field goal by Parker Douglass at the 1:56 mark and a one-yard TD run by Watson with 12 seconds after a 17 yard punt gave SDSU the ball at the VU 22-yard line.

Douglass started the second half scoring with a career best 45-yard field goal, and ended the night breaking one of Adam Vinatieri’s school records by kicking nine extra points. Vinatieri set the record by making three times in his career, the most record against Morningside in 1964.

With the two field goals in the game, Douglass scored 15 points. He’s now 15-for-15 on extra point attempts this season, making him perfect on 44 tries in his college career. He has 14 career field goals.

The Jackrabbit offensive starters did not play in the second half as Paul Aanonson scored on a 70-yard punt return, Ryan Berry on a 21-yard run, and JaRon Harris on a 7-yard pass from Berry.

Valpo ended the game with seven net yards rushing, on 22 attempts, and 129 yards total offense. The non-scholarship Crusaders of the Pioneer Football League, now 1-1 for the season, were 1-for-12 on third down attempts.

SDSU, meanwhile, had 550 yards total offense and 669 all-purpose yards. Watson gained 106 yards on his first six carries and finished with 114 yards on eight attempts, while Trevor Hohn added 91 yards and Cory Koenig 55 as the Jacks had their second straight 300-plus game with 317 yards on the ground.

Andy Kardoes was 9-for-14 passing for 118 yards, Ryan Berry 2-for-3 for 30 yards, Reed Burckhardt 2-for-3 for nine yards and Davis 1-for-1 for 76 yards. Kardoes, Berry and Davis each threw one TD pass.

Molitor finished with three catches for 92 yards to lead the receivers. Davis caught three for 37 yards as seven different players caught passes for the Jacks.

SDSU’s top three tacklers were all reserves. Marty Kranz, who saw extensive action in the second half, led the Jacks with 12 tackles, five of them solos including two tackles for losses. Justin Kubesh had eight stops and Eric Schroeder with six. Gabe Koenigsfeld, Hank Goff and Jason Nobiling has sacks for the Jacks.

Valparaiso will be at home against Morehead State in a PFL game next week.

Comment

Trying to figure out how to attach a few pics of the Valpo game...anyone know how to do that? I have a few digital pics I can share.
      [img]c:\Corel Spreadsheets\SDSU hosts Valpo.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
        a little over 7,000 I believe. Just got home from the game. They played really well. One thing I didn't like, was when it was 62-6 in the 4th quarter, and they kicked an onside kick and recovered it(not really a onside, more of a pooch kick, but it was clearly a called play). I really don't like that. There was no need for it at that time. If they wanted to try it out at some time, it should have been done earlier in the game.

Parker Douglas has a great leg, and was just wide right on a 54 yard field goal - Stig said after the game he has no doubt that he'll end up with the longest field goal record by the end of his playing days
        Stig also said in the post-game interview that no way they were trying to recover that kick. My take is that there's no way an SDSU player should have made it to that ball before a Valpo player did--I think by that time in the game Valpo had utterly given up.

The only thing I can compare it to is that night in Frost Arena when the Jacks blitzed Augie in basketball something like 22-0 to open the game. Even when Valpo was up 3-0, they were never in this game. That was the most overmatched team I think I've ever seen in Coughlin-Alumni.

The scoreboard is very, very cool though. They're still learning how to run it, however. They need to get quicker at showing the replays , and it was deep into the first quarter before they put up the up-to-the-minute stats. They also couldn't figure out how to put 2:01 onto the clock. The refs finally decided to heck with it, just play. I just hope that much of what they learn with the football board can be used to run the Frost Arena board.

I liked the Watertown kid at QB, too. I hope we find more opportunites to get him into games--he's going to be good.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

My take is that there's no way an SDSU player should have made it to that ball before a Valpo player did--I think by that time in the game Valpo had utterly given up.  
          That was the most overmatched team I think I've ever seen in Coughlin-Alumni.
          Like you said, if they are that bad, how can you expect them to get on the ball though - you can't really expect a non-scholarship program to be even close in talent to a team with 45 scholarships, so yeah, they should have overmatched them. I still feel there was no need to kick that ball, no matter whether Valparaiso should have gotten it or not. What did it prove? That SDSU can run the score up on a non-scholarship football program?

Comment

The kick was an awkward sort of a pooch kick and the Valpo players stood there watching it on the ground, apparently waiting for it to bounce out of bounds. It was a combination of their incompetence and hustle by a special teams player that led to the recovery. It didn't look like a called play to me.

Now, I realize that Valpo was pretty awful and one cannot make any conclusions based on that game, but here are a few observations:

Anyone else notice how much more accurate Kardoes is when he is on the move? He has accuracy issues when he's in the pocket. They got him moving a couple of times last night and he made very nice throws. I have to wonder if they've been holding back that part of the offense (and some other things) for Montana.

It looked like Kardoes tweaked his right ankle in the first half. When he came out for the second, he had an inflatable cast on it, but he was walking and running around on the sideline without any problems.

JaRon Harris continues to impress. He's bigger than I would have thought, and obviously very fast. The big thing we saw last night is that he has good hands. He made two catches (three really, but one was out of bounds) with his hands, including a nice grab of Berry's fade pass that he reached up and plucked out of the air. He's going to be something very special.

The new scoreboard has added a new dimension to watching the games that maybe people didn't anticipate: Total yard watching. For most of the game, Valpo was in the negative for total rushing yards. When they reached -3 or so and managed a four yard run, many in the crowd turned to watch the total yards. When it moved into positive terroritory, a small and ironic cheer went up for Valpo.

I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for the Valpo player who locked up with an SDSU lineman (I think it was Keizer who no doubt pancaked him for the 50th time or something) blew his stack, getting ejected for fighting. Valpo players had to be enormously frustrated and while there's no call for that kind of classless behavior, the guy looked pretty dejected sitting on the Valpo bench alone except for a coach/security guard for the last few minutes of the first half.

We have a nice trio of quarterbacks, which is great. Kardoes played well as did Berry. We know from last week that Burkhardt can throw, but he just handed off last night.

We also have a nice group of running backs. We all know Watson is special. Koenig and Hohn are different kinds of runners, but they can play as well.

Hank McCall and Mike James can really deliver some hits. They remind me of Bob Sanders, Iowa's free safety and a smaller guy who hits like a train (and now starts for Indianapolis.

Next week will be tough, but I think the Jacks have enough talent to be competitive as long as they can handle the tough environment.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
              Anyone else notice how much more accurate Kardoes is when he is on the move? He has accuracy issues when he's in the pocket. They got him moving a couple of times last night and he made very nice throws. I have to wonder if they've been holding back that part of the offense (and some other things) for Montana.
              I noticed that too. He could throw the ball on target much better when he was moving out of the pocket. Maybe because he wasn't thinking so much about making the pass?

I didn't see the fight really. I thought the play was over and looked over at the scoreboard, and all of a sudden the fight was over. It has to be frustrating for a player when you are down by 40 in the first half....he stood with his helmet on and no shoulder pads the whole second half.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
                 One thing I didn't like, was when it was 62-6 in the 4th quarter, and they kicked an onside kick and recovered it(not really a onside, more of a pooch kick, but it was clearly a called play).  I really don't like that.  There was no need for it at that time.  If they wanted to try it out at some time, it should have been done earlier in the game.  
                No need to worry over this play, yes it was a called, but not an onside. At many games last year, we would intentially kick the ball high and short. The purpose of it is so their return men can't do what they're suppose to do, return the ball. It was not an onside kick; it was a lack of hustle and effort on the part of Valpo players.

Comment

Defense really stepped up and answered the bell last night. The Dline absolutley dominated and when the Valpo QB was able to get a pass off the Jacks DBs were right on them, wrapping up and making sure tackles.

This being just my second Jacks game I must say the PRIDE really enhances the game day experience, Do they play at every home game normally??

Scholarships or not, you still need to line up and execute. If you dont, ask Oklahoma in week 1 and almost in week 2 what can happen.

Time to strap it up now though, its BIG BOY football time. Bring on the Griz. I believe an upset can be had.

Comment

There was 7,600 ish at the game.  It was a pretty good crowd, I would say 80% were there until the end, which is great for a blowout.  They were a bit more into it, but still the same crowd.  The students and Pride were great as usual. I expect the Poly game to add a few more thousand.

The Pride is there for most home games.  They weren't there last week because they only had 2 or 3 days to practice.  They did great yesterday with only 8 days or so.  They sometimes don't play the last game or two because of the cold weather.  They will be in SF for the Davis game too.

I agree with you SDSUFAN that Valpo would have had a tough time with Lacrosse.

My only worries are the small mistakes, and large ones.  If those happen in Montana, we won't have a chance at winning or even staying close.   Most of the penalties happened late in the game with all the substitutions and 2nd/3rd teams.

It seems that all three quarterbacks waited until the last minute to throw.  Either this is because they have all the time in the world for these two games, or they have been trained to do so.  If they do that at Montana it will be ugly.

I didn't think there was an air-cast on Kardoes foot, just Ice, but I could be wrong.  I'm not worried about him at all.  DJ Fischer seemed to do something to his shoulder, but I didn't see ice on it, which should be a good sign.

The thing that impressed me the most was the speed of some of the youngsters.  There will be some big plays in the coming years.

Overall a great game and likely our last against a team like that.  Hope they can carry that into the Montana and pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                      Trying to figure out how to attach a few pics of the Valpo game...anyone know how to do that? I have a few digital pics I can share.
                      [img]c:\Corel Spreadsheets\SDSU hosts Valpo.jpg[/img]
                      I suggest you create a free account at Flickr. You can upload photos there. Once you get the photos uploaded, you can link from a post here to your public photo page on Flickr and people can view the photos individually or as a slideshow. It's a really nice service. You can also use it as an image host (for things like your little avatar icon here on the board.)

http://www.flickr.com

Comment

SDSU turns back Valparaiso with ease
                        CHRIS SOLARI
                        csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 09/11/05

BROOKINGS - The Valparaiso Crusaders turned an early South Dakota State fumble into their first points against a scholarship football team since 2002.

The Jackrabbits immediately turned the Crusaders into their whipping boys.

SDSU scored often and in nearly every imaginable way Saturday night at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, coasting to a 69-6 victory over Division I-AA Valparaiso.

“I don’t think I expected that type of outcome, in terms of it being lopsided,” SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. “I think our players played hard. We ask them to be perfect in every play, and I think they pushed toward that.”

Improving to 2-0 with a pair of wins against teams who don’t offer scholarships, the Jackrabbits scored through the air, on the ground, with an interception and via punt return. And for good measure, they threw in a pair of Parker Douglass field goals.

Even with its second- and third-team offenses on the field, SDSU had little trouble against the Crusaders (1-1). The Jacks rolled up 550 yards of offense with ease, while stifling Valparaiso to just 129 total yards of offense. SDSU’s defense allowed just 7 yards rushing in the game.

“South Dakota State is a very good football team,” Crusaders coach Stacy Adams said. “When you’re playing against guys who have scholarships and you don’t, it’s kind of a mismatch.”

An easier first half will be harder to come by this year for the Jackrabbits, who often make it seem like a scrimmage against a Pop Warner team. Their offensive line smacked around the Crusaders for a well-balanced 367 yards before intermission, rolling to a 45-6 lead.

Meanwhile, the SDSU defense stuffed Valpo’s running game for minus-4 yards and held the Crusaders to 70 yards of total offense through two periods.

“The defense, as a whole, did a very good job,” Jackrabbit linebacker Andrew Hoogeveen said. “A lot of credit to the offense, too. They kept us off the field a lot and were able to run the ball and move the ball.”

SDSU junior Anthony Watson rushed for all of his 114 yards and two touchdowns in the second quarter, including a weaving 47-yard score early in the period. Watson did not start the game because of a violation of team rules.

Valparaiso running back Jeff Horton, who rushed for a school record 254 yards last week against Wisconsin Lutheran, was held to 30 yards on 13 carries.

It didn’t take long for the Crusaders to get on the board. SDSU running back Cory Koenig, who started in place of Watson, fumbled the ball on the second play of the game, coughing up the ball at the Jacks’ 42.

Valpo had to settle for a 46-yard field goal from kicker Andrew McCawley about four minutes into the contest. It was the Crusaders’ first points against a I-AA scholarship program team since 2002, when they lost 60-10 against Tennessee Tech. Valparaiso’s other field goal Saturday also came after an SDSU turnover.

If that drew the Jackrabbits ire, they replied with trickery instead of the brute force they’d display later.

On the second play of their next drive, senior Josh Davis took a pitch on a reverse from Koenig, scrambled right and pulled up to throw. His deep, albeit wobbly, bomb landed directly in fellow receiver Chris Molitor’s hands well behind the Crusader secondary. Molitor coasted into the end zone for a 76-yard touchdown, and the rout was on.

Cornerback Hank McCall forced Horton to fumble a screen pass on the next drive, on which Jackrabbit freshman defensive end Jason Nobling pounced. Nine plays and 4:02 later, Koenig dove over the pile for a 1-yard score.

Watson quickly made his presence felt when he finally took the field in the second. He took a handoff from quarterback Andy Kardoes up the middle, then cut back across the field to the left sideline and slipped two tackles. With Kardoes blazing downfield to block, Watson scooted past the pylon, and Douglass’ extra point made it 21-3.

Douglass went on to boot a single-game school record nine PATs.

It took just 49 seconds for the Jacks to tack on another TD, as Hoogeveen intercepted Crusaders quarterback Ryan Doerffler and ran it in from 14 yards out.

Kardoes, who went to the bench in the second half after completing 9-of-14 for 118 yards, threw a 15-yard score to tight end Dan Dykhouse midway through the second quarter for a 35-3 edge.

Sophomore Paul Aanonson returned a third-quarter punt 70 yards for another TD, the most exciting moment of a laid-back second half for SDSU.

Reserve quarterback Ryan Berry ran for a 21-yard score and also hit fellow redshirt freshman JaRon Harris, a Washington High grad, with a 7-yard fade pass for a TD, both coming in the fourth quarter.

The Jacks’ schedule takes a complete 180-degree turn next week when they travel to Mizzoula, Mont., to face the Montana Grizzlies, ranked third in Division I-AA. The Grizzlies have 63 scholarships, the maximum at I-AA, to SDSU’s 42.

“We are going into that situation now as the team that doesn’t have as much, doesn’t have the reputation,” Stiegelmeier said. “I don’t think it’s going to be go out there and roll up 600 yards and think you’re going to beat them, but I think we have good football team that can compete.”

Comment

Went to a concert after work last night so I missed the game. After the show went out for a drink and watched the ESPN ticker. When I saw S. Dakota St. 69 Valpo 6 I couldn't help but smile. I like being able to follow my favorite team on ESPN.

Nice win for the Jacks. Now its out to Montana where the level of competition is exponentially greater. If we play to our potential (that means better than we have) this will be a Jacks victory. I believe it.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

[quote author=Jacks99 .

I agree with you SDSUFAN that Valpo would have had a tough time with Lacrosse.

.[/quote]

Man is this ever an understatement. Lacrosse would kill Valpo. For God sakes Valpo just scored their first points against a scholarship team in 3 years.

I'm looking foward to next week. I think Montana will be in for a surprise. I'm pretty sure we have spent the last several weeks preparing for them. I can't imagine we had to do too much game planning for Valpo.

Comment

With the Grizzlies playing a class DIA school yesterday and the Jacks playing lower teams, it has me a bit worried.

Montana's D was their bright spot in their loss to Oregon. It's up to the Jackrabbit Offense to get a running game going without the turnovers. Getting some holes for Watson to exploit early will go a long way.

Comment

Article from the Northwest Indiana Times
                                Crusaders crushed in South Dakota
                                Times Staff Report
                                COLLEGE FOOTBALL

South Dakota State 69, Valparaiso 6
                                * The 69 points is the most allowed by a Crusader team since a 91-0 loss to Grand Valley State in 1989. . . .

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/200...7900138dff.txt

We...ARE...STATE!
                                SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
                                X