Cal-Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal-Poly

We'll have our breakout game. It may be next week against a Texas State team that just went up against a Big XII Texas A&M team and acquitted themselves very well.

The question is: how much did A&M beat up the Bobcats? I think one reason why the Montana game was as close as it was is because the previous week, Montana went into the Pac 10 and got slapped around by Oregon.

The bad break is that TSU played the A&M game on Thursday due to Hurricane Rita, so they had an extra couple of days to recover.

I expect another close game in San Marcos. If the Jacks can make enough plays, they've got a good shot at getting a win.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Passing game stinks. We need a qb, not an athlete. 2 td passes on the year, less than a 50% completion percentage, lack of making the plays when it counts most. I can only imagine that it is more frustrating seeing it live.

Comment

I was at the game too, and listened to Stig on the postgame show. Sounds like on the two long plays in the first quarter there was either confusion or blown coverage by the defensive backs. Like they said earlier, the Jacks gave a heck of an effort tonight, but starting the game down 14-0 never helps. The running game was impressive, Koenig was tough. He plays angry when he runs, which is something I think Watson could learn from. With the quick defenses we are playing now in conference games, dancing in the hole doesn't work nearly as well as it does against Valpo and Lacrosse!

The play action worked well tonight, and is something I think we need to do more of. Kardoes seems to be alot more accurate outside of the pocket. There were some guys open on long passes, just couldn't hit them. Couple out of bounds and a few other overthrown. He made some nice plays to keep a few drives going, and his athleticism got us some first downs when there could have just as easily been sacks, but we're gonna need to make more plays on offense or its gonna be a long season.

Nice crowd for the game considering the weather, but we still need to work on the noise. Too many people sitting on their hands again, especially for such a close game. Guess its always been that way though.

Comment

OK. Kardoes is not the answer...period. Move in another direction. Thanks.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Anti Kardoes is still Anti Kardoes. Put horns on a turkey and he may look like a lot of bull but he's still a turkey. That said, I have a point to ponder.
            Who are the Jacks, a good team just a few breaks from really good or mediocre team that has flashes of brightness? Lets look at the whole team. One person doesn't win or lose the game.
            Defensive Line -- Outstanding.

Secondary ---- Suspect. Will a good passing team pick
            them apart like a road killed rabbit at a vultures picnic? Poly QB couldn't pass and still killed them.

Special Teams ---- Pretty darned good, Pick and Bainbridge Awsome

O Line --- Jury is out. Last years QB could read the
            comics and order up pizza this year QB runs for his life. He has been slammed to the turf more times in the last two games than last years QB was all season.. Watson could rack up the yards. This year the hole closes quicker and the yardage is tougher. Thats why Koenig does a little better than Wats

Receivers ---Hearing Footsteps? Last year they were makinging circus catch after circus catch. This year a ball in the bread basket is as likely to be droppped as caught. Except for maybe Davis.

Backfield -- Pretty darned good. Koenig is fast to the hole and hits hard. Anybody know if maybe Watson is playing a little hurt. That could explain his lack of
            success the last two games.

QB-- ??? Heck of an athlete. Fierce competitor. Tough. Watching him play hurt proves that. He may be great if our O line would protect him and if the receivers would catch the ball. Too many dropped balls have to shake a
            young QBs confidence. Too many meetings with the turf have apparently left him pretty beat up. He has an air cast or brace on his plant foot. Anyone know what the injury is?

So who are the Jacks? I think they are a team a few breaks from a great team>

And to Anti if you'd watch the game , when the receiver turns around and sits down before the ball is thrown that isn't a bad pass it is called a comeback route. Ask any player out there who they want as QB. Not the peanut gallery, the real bruised battered players. The peanut gallery always likes to flap their jaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Gray_Hare
              Anti Kardoes is still Anti Kardoes. ... And to Anti if you'd watch the game , when the receiver turns around and sits down before the ball is thrown that isn't a bad pass it is called a comeback route.  Ask any player out there who they want as QB. Not the peanut gallery, the real bruised battered players. The peanut gallery always likes to flap their jaws.
              Who the heck are you talking to? Me? I'm the one who posted about Kardoes' accuracy problems. And I'm not the user called antikardoes. I've been here for a couple of years as OK_Jackrabbit. Everybody here knows who I am, so I'm not some drive by poster, criticizing things anonymously and trying to stir things up.

I've raised questions about the productivity of the quarterback position this year. So have others, on this board and elsewhere (you should hear what my students and others are saying on campus). There has been some unfair and not-so-friendly criticism. But not from me. I have said it before: I respect Kardoes' athleticism and toughness. But he's not making enough plays for us to win these close games. One problem seems to be the inaccuracy of his passing, along with the tendency to hold the ball and not see running opportunities. I hope that comes along (and I saw some improvement last night.) But meanwhile, we're losing games we could win.

By the way, welcome to the board (aka "peanut gallery&quot Gray_Hare.

Comment

He was reffering to the other two guys with less than 8 posts.

I do agree that Kardoes accuracy isn't the best, but you can't blame this loss on him. I saw maybe 5 passes that were off the mark - some long, a few a bit behind the receiver. I saw a few dropped balls, a few defensive interference non-calls and he only had the time just a few. He needs to put a bit more loft on the long throws and our receivers will be getting under them just fine. He has a really good gun, just needs the touch. The only reason I would sit him is because of his injury. I just think this kid is going to win some games with his leg and arm. I saw big improvement since the first two games.

The fact is many players missed the "big" plays. Moliter dropped a TD or goaline pass. Beautiful play, nice throw just couldn't bring it in. A pass to a TE was on the money in the endzone, but the defender hit him before the ball was there-no call. Both kickers missed a few opportunities. The D gave up too many quick points. You can't let a team like Poly be up 14-0 right away. Early in the game they did a direct snap to Watson, but someone moved - execution. Later they ran the play ok with Koening.

As for getting Koening in there, it was a smart move. He has more speed and runs right through the hole. I'm not sure it was that the hole was closing, but they have a fast defense just like Montana and likely are plugging the hole. Watson seems to be more hesitant than usual.

Overall, I'm dissapointed, but it was a good game against a top D and top 15 team. No turnovers on the offense was huge, they deserve big credit there.

Now we find out after two tough losses what this team is made of. They need to go right back at it in Texas.

Comment

Staying around the stadium after the game they put up the press conference on the screen. Their coach and players echoed the same sentiment. SDSU isn't the best team they'll play this year but we are the toughest.

That's two weeks in a row we heard the same thing from the opposing coaches. I know its kind of like being the maid of honor in a series of weddings but its a start. Especially for a team whose Sophomors (somewhat) Juniors and Seniors were recruited to play D-II football.

I think Grey_Hare is pretty close except for a few points.
                  Kardoes has been the victim of some drops but he also hasn't been completely accurate. The coaches weren't afraid to play Koenig instead of Watson, I don't think they would be afraid to sub for Kardoes if they didn't think he was the guy.

Our special teams are strong but Bainbridge really struggled last night and we had a kick blocked.

Our O-line has come up against two of the best D-lines we have ever faced. At this level the speed is different and there isn't as much time. Also with the new misdirection offense more time is spent in the backfield so the rb's don' t have the time to dance.

We are a team on the cusp we just need a few more playmakers.

Comment

Coulda...shoulda...woulda, but they didn't. I listened to parts of the game last night and heard enough "missed" opportunities to make a guy sick. No one should be satisfied that the Jacks played either Montana or Poly close but didn't win. A wise coach once said "A moral victory is still a loss". If this team can't beat Poly at home in less than stellar conditions then they will struggle through the rest of the year. They had two great opportunities in the past two games to prove to themselves more than anyone that they are ready to compete on this level. Clearly they are not. If they don't win next week it may be a long, long final six games after that.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

CatchemAll,

I think you are being a little harsh. SDSU gave top 5 Montana and top 15 Cal Poly all they could handle. They did this with out all of their 63 scholarships. I agree with another poster that you were a few play makers away from winning these games. With added scholarships you will add playmakers. I think you have a great coaching staff that gives your team a chance to compete with some of the top teams in I-AA with less bullets in their gun. I see only good things ahead for SDSU. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Comment

Everyone is talking so negative about Kardous but I thought he played alot better. He missed the deep passes, but was accurate in picking up some key 3rd down short passes. I think each game he'll gain confidence and improve. I don't think either Berry or Burkhardt would be doing much better.
                        Also, it wasn't Kardous who lost the game for us, it was the D-Backs letting those duck passes drop in for long completions.

Comment

Hey guys lets remember one thing. The long passes that were missed also were being pushed out on the sidelines by the wind. I was on the sidelines and you could see the affect on the ball. The passes were there...just enough wind to take them wide, but to keep them from being intercepted he had to throw them to the outside of the defenders.

I have to agree with some previous post...a few more scholarships and some key playmakers things will get better.

It is a lot faster game now then it was in the NCC and I must admit that I am enjoying this style of ball a lot more.

GO JACKS! 8)

Comment

I know we all have raised expectations after last season but I believe we are being a little harsh on Kardoes. I have been to every home game and I'll admit he has made some poor decisions and has accuracy problems. From what I've seen for every 2-3 bad throws Andy has made, there has been a very catchable ball dropped, which doesn't help to build his confidence. It's not fair to put all the blame on Andys shoulders. I do see improvement and Kardoes becoming more comfortable with each game.

Perhaps we are all spoiled after having Brad Nelson the last two years, who was possibly our best passing QB we have had. I went back to look at his stats from last season against I-AA teams:

completed 128 of 246 for 52.0% 1,405 yards 10 tds and 8 ints in 8 games.

Not exactly stellar numbers coming off of a record setting season the year before against much lesser competition.

In the post game comments didn't Stig say Andy has been nursing an ankle injury. This could explain why he hasn't run more and if its his plant foot some off target throws as well. As JackTwice stated earlier, the coaching staff hasn't been hesitant in subbing Koenig for Watson if he hasn't gotten the job done, so it appears that Andy is the best option.

Comment

For the record, I never said Kardoes wasn't the man for the job, I just noted what I saw during the game. He made some very nice plays last night, and showed alot of guts by continuing to battle after he was injured early. There were opportunities missed and mistakes made on both sides of the ball last night, I'm not blaming the QB by any means. I just hope we can start winning some of these close ones, the schedule isn't getting any easier.

Go Jacks!

Comment

I am disappointed in that we are 2-2 with two games that had opportunities to be in the win column.  I think we definitely are on target and doing probably better than some programs that have only 42 scholarships.  

JackJD has made the points on Other Activities about the differences in D1 and D2 in terms of CC times and records.  The points made relate to the differences of competition that SDSU faces as a D1 Cross country program as opposed to the competition in D2.  

We are facing some very good defenses with quick players. Certain offenses are more aggressive than those we have faced in the past.  No doubt those duck passes where part of a game plan developed after reviewing our game video against Montana. The staff at Cal Poly knew what would work and knew where we were vulnerable.

Last Wednesday at the Jackrabbit club Stig recommended to the fans to watch No 53, Mr. Cochong which I did on several plays. The staff prepared for this guy as at times No 53 was two- teamed with some Big O guys blocking No 53 and he went no where when this happened. The problem was it left holes else where for some one else to make a defensive play. If we left him alone, he was in Kardoes face within a second.

I suspect the last two defenses MU and Cal Poly would put UND's defense to shame as they are quicker and smarter and much better coached. I know some of the UND fans lurk here but thats okay.

Look for Cal Poly's No 53 to be in the NFL next year. No doubt in my mind that he is good enough to make the grade and will probably go high in the NFL draft next spring.

I guess I am not totally disappointed by the loss but now have witnessed at least one home game against a good D1AA opponent other than NDSU or UNC. We can see what will be the norm.  At half time, had an exchange another fan who I have known for decades and probably was very dubious about the move to D1. He commented to me at the conscession stand how great was that the D1 move had been made and looked forward to the better the competition that we would likely see at CSA.   So the dubious fans are being won over, but few remain.

We need the scholarships now, so if you want to critique the team including the QB, and find that you are not happy, then help the program get better by putting your money where your mouth is. I know it sounds kind of harsh, but its part of the reality of where the program is and where we want it to go.   $$$$$$$$$$$ needed now. >

Comment

Working...
                                X