UC-Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UC-Davis

At least is was a great game for those that were there. It felt like a decent crowd.

Comment

Most of those 12-14k that someone was hoping for were down in Vermillion watching South Dakota's team. 9,500 not a bad turnout. USD's attendance has really spiked this season. The average is probably close to 7,500-8,000 this year which isn't bad for a D2 team. Since SDSU has gone D1 I would venture to guess that USD's average attendance has gone up more than SDSU's. It just shows that good football is good football whether D2 or D1AA.

Never the less nice win over UC Davis. Sounded like a low scoring game.
      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Injuries to be a big factor for SDSU
        Jackrabbits might be without starting quarterback against UC Davis today in Sioux Falls

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...32/1002/SPORTS
        CHRIS SOLARI
        csolari@argusleader.com
        Article Published: 10/8/05

BROOKINGS - In their first football game at Howard Wood Field since 2002, the South Dakota State Jackrabbits are facing a lot more questions than how many fans will show up.

Like how to stop a team that's beaten a major college power. And who exactly is going to throw the ball.

Starting quarterback Andy Kardoes is questionable for today's game against Cal Davis, and a handful of other Jackrabbit starters are banged up heading into the Great West Conference battle in Sioux Falls.

SDSU (2-3, 0-1 Great West) opened last season, its first in Division I-AA, by losing 52-0 to the Aggies in Davis, Calif. In that game, Cal Davis quarterback Jon Grant sliced apart the Jackrabbit secondary at will, passing for 278 yards and four touchdowns in his first college start.

After last year's game, the Jacks' secondary is waiting for redemption.

"This is what we look forward to," Jackrabbit senior safety Mitch Klein said. "Finally, we're going to go and get tested."

Kardoes, who has been battling ankle problems all season, saw his most action of last year against Cal Davis after Brad Nelson was knocked out with a concussion midway through the second quarter. Kardoes was 9 of 18 for 124 yards.

But junior Kardoes aggravated his ankle problem in last week's 42-12 loss at No. 14 Texas State. Stiegelmeier said that may force him to start sophomore Ryan Berry under center.

Among the injured for SDSU is offensive guard Paul Keizer, who will miss the game with a sprained leg. Other injuries include the other guard Taylor Murray (concussion) and defensive lineman D.J. Fischer (stingers).

"We need to get healthy," Coach John Stiegelmeier said.

But that has to wait until next week until they get a bye. Waiting is Cal Davis, which after an 0-2 start that included a 17-13 loss to I-AA No. 1 New Hampshire, has recovered to win two straight. The Aggies dominated Division I-A Stanford statistically and stunned the Cardinal 20-17 on Sept. 17 on a touchdown pass by Grant with eight seconds left in the game.

"They could have beat Stanford by 30," Stiegelmeier said.

Last year's game against SDSU was like that as well, as Cal Davis owned SDSU from the opening kickoff. Grant was 16 of 17 for 201 yards in the first half alone as the Aggies put the game away with a 24-0 first quarter.

So far this year, Grant has thrown for 1,151 yards and six touchdowns in four games. His favorite target, senior receiver Tony Kays, is averaging 149.2 yards a game as Cal Davis posts 390 yards of offense a game.

"That was one of those games where everything clicked for us," Aggies coach Bob Biggs said. "I definitely think South Dakota State didn't play their best game. That game certainly won't be indicative of this year's game."

The Jacks allow 322.8 yards a game of total offense this year, 187 of them coming through the air.

Cory Koenig has taken over for junior Anthony Watson as SDSU's starting running back, and the sophomore has posted back-to-back 100-plus yard games. As a team, the Jackrabbits average 199 yards a game on the ground, and they will try to crack an Aggie defense that allows just 71.8 yards a game.

SDSU may be playing a home game away from Brookings for the first time, but the Jackrabbits are expecting about 10,000 fans to make Howard Wood another Rabbit Den.

"We'll have the majority of the people there behind us," senior safety James Epps said.

Comment

McCall Saves 16-14 SDSU Victory Over UC Davis

10/08/2005
          http://gojacks.com/
          SIOUX FALLS, SD -
          South Dakota State cornerback Hank McCall broke up a two-point conversion attempt with 2:05 to play as the Jackrabbits held on to defeat the University of California, Davis 16-14 in Great West Football Conference action at Howard Wood Field Saturday afternoon.

SDSU is now 3-3 for the season, 1-1 in GWFC action, while UC fell to 2-3 overall, 0-1 in the conference. The Jacks are idle next week before hosting Missouri-Rolla on Hobo Day Oct. 22. UCD hosts Southern Utah next week.

SDSU had opened a 16-0 lead, on a two-yard touchdown run by Andy Kardoes, and field goals of 38, 54 and 32 yards by Parker Douglass, before the Aggies put on a fourth quarter rally, scoring on a pair of 13 play drives. After the first one, an 18-yard pass from Jon Grant to Demario Warren, Grant hooked up with Blaise Smith for a two-point conversion.

The second TD, a two-yard pass from Grant to Matt Gravette, cut the margin to two, but McCall’s play prevented UC Davis from tying the score.

Even then, things were far from over. SDSU went three downs and out, but UCD was called for roughing the kicker on the Jackrabbit punt attempt, giving the Jacks a first down with less than a minute to play. Andy Kardoes kneeled down on successive snaps to kill the clock.

Douglass broke the SDSU record for longest field goal with his 54 yarder, two yards longer than the kick which tied the school record against Cal Poly two weeks ago. He actually made a 55-yarder earlier in the game, but had it nullified by a holding penalty after which he just missed on a 65 yard attempt with the wind at his back. Douglass is now 10-for-16 on field goal attempts this season.

McCall, who finished the game with a team-high 11 tackles, set up SDSU’s first score with a pass interception returned 13 yards to the SDSU 46. On first down, sophomore running back Cory Koenig picked up 52 yards, setting up the TD run by Kardoes.

SDSU gained 24 yards on four plays after a punt to set up the first Douglass field goal, in the second quarter, giving the Jacks a 10-0 halftime lead.

In the third quarter, SDSU reached the Davis 37 where Douglass launched his record-setter on a fourth and three play, making it 13-0.

And with six seconds left in the third period, on a fourth and one play from the UCD 15, Douglass hit his third field goal.

Koenig had his third straight 100-yard game rushing, with 20 carries for 141 yards. The Jacks had a 138-49 advantage in total offense after the first quarter, but UCD out-gained SDSU 143-17 in the fourth quarter giving the Aggies a 353-267 advantage for the game.

Kardoes was 10-for-22 passing for 82 yards and rushed nine times for 20 yards. Grant, who picked the Jacks apart in his first collegiate start a year ago, finished the game 26-for-41 for 217 yards. Each quarterback was intercepted once; each was sacked once.

Warren rushed 21 times for 114 yards and caught six passes for 66 yards for UCD. Free safety Jonathan Barse led the UCD defense with 11 tackles.

The game drew a crowd of 7,239.
          [hr]

BOX SCORE FROM ESPN WEB SITE
          http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxsco...&confId=43

Comment

South Dakota State Holds Off UC Davis, 16-14
            The Jacks' Parker Douglass kicked three field goals in the win.

http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...100805aaa.html

Final Stats http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...100805aaa.html

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Parker Douglass kicked three field goals on Saturday, including a school- recrord 54-yarder, as South Dakota State withstood a furious fourth-quarter rally by UC Davis for a windy 16-14 Great West Football Conference win at Howard Wood Field.

The loss snapped the Aggies' two-game winning streak as they fell to 2-3 overall and 0-1 in the GWFC. The Jackrabbits, which had lost three in a row, evened up their record at 3-3 overall and 1-1 in the league.

UC Davis trailed 16-0 in the fourth quarter but rallied with a pair of touchdowns, including a 2- yard touchdown pass from Jon Grant to tight end Matt Gravette with 2 minutes, 5 seconds left.

UC Davis nearly tied the game on the two-point conversion, but cornerback Hank McCall played tight defense against receiver Blaise Smith who wasn't able to completely come down with the pass from Grant in the corner of the end zone.

UC Davis put itself within a touchdown's range earlier in the quarter after Grant hit running back DeMario Warren on a short pass which Warren then turned into an 18-yard score. Grant then hit Smith on a quick slant to make it 16-8.

South Dakota State, which scored an early touchdown, rode the foot of Douglass who had three field goals. He hit from 38 yards in the second quarter and then had a school-record 54- yarder in the third. A 32-yard field goal near the end of the period gave the Jackrabbits a 16-0 lead.

Redshirt freshman DeMario Warren posted his first career 100-yard game, gaining 114 yards on 21 carries while adding another 66 receiving yards on seven catches. Grant finished with 217 passing yards, completing 26 of 41 passes with one interception.

Receiver Tony Kays, who entered the game with 47 catches, had just four grabs totaling 33 yards.

Running back Cory Koenig had 141 rushing yards on 21 carries for South Dakota State, gaining nearly 100 in the first quarter alone.

South Dakota State got on the scoreboard first, capitalizing on Grant's first interception in the past three games. McCall returned the pick 13 yards to the Jackrabbits' 46-yard line early in the opening quarter, with the Jackrabbits scoring on a 2-yard run by Kardoes after Koenig broke through for a 52-yard run to the Aggies' 2.

The Jackrabbits continued to take advantage of field position, pinning UC Davis at its 1 on a punt by Neal Bainbridge, and then after the Aggies were forced to punt on their ensuing drive, picked up a 38-yard field goal early in the second quarter by Douglass for a 10-0 lead.

The first quarter was a tough one for the UC Davis defense, which allowed 111 rushing yards to South Dakota State, the first time an opponent has rushed for more than 100 yards. Koenig had a majority of that total, picking up 97.

The Jackrabbits nearly took a 13-0 lead at the end of the first half, failing to do so after a holding penalty negated a 55-yard field goal by Douglass. Moved back 10 yards, Douglass was just short on a 65-yard attempt on the next play.

South Dakota had 197 yards of offense in the opening 30 minutes, gaining 141 yards on 19 rushing attempts, 119 of the yards from Koenig. The Aggies, who had 175 yards of total offense, were led by running back Warren, who had 92 yards in just his second career game. He also had 41 receiving yards in the first half. The Jackrabbits did a good job against Kays, holding him to just one catch for six yards.

South Dakota State continued to stifle the Aggies' offense in the third quarter, eventually driving 32 yards on seven plays for a career-best 54-yard field goal from Douglass with 5:40 left in the quarter. The score came after an Aggie penalty on fourth down changed the Jackrabbits' plans to punt and instead attempt the long field goal. Douglass converted again in the final seconds of the third quarter, hitting from 32 yards for a 16-0 lead.

UC Davis found some rhythm offensively in the fourth quarter, crafting a 13-play, 80-yard drive which resulted in Grant hitting Warren on a short pass and Warren scampering in for a 19-yard touchdown. The Aggies cut the deficit to 16-8 as Grant hit Smith on the conversion.

Linebacker Nolan de Graaff had a key 8-yard sack of Kardoes on South Dakota's next drive and UC Davis took possession on its own 45 after a South Dakota State penalty. The Aggies moved to Jackrabbits' 37 - and after a false start penalty on fourth down - got a 17-yard pass from Grant to Kale Turner for a key first down with just under five minutes left. Another crucial fourth-down grab by Turner with 3:05 left put UC Davis at the Jackrabbits' 3, leading to Gravette's touchdown.

UC Davis outgained South Dakota State, 353-267 with the defense holding the Jackrabbits to just 70 yards after halftime. Safety Jonathan Barsi, playing his first game since the season-opener against New Hampshire, led UC Davis with 11 tackles. Cornerback Nevan Bergan had his fourth interception of the season while linebacker Ben Reece had eight.

McCall had 11 stops to pace the Jackrabbits' defense while linebacker Marty Kranz had nine.

Comment

Published: Oct 9, 2005
              Saturday stunner

Frustrated after allowing a two-point conversion pass completion right in front of him minutes earlier, Hank McCall delivered the biggest play of South Dakota State's season.

Complete Story http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...ategory=SPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                Most of those 12-14k that someone was hoping for were down in Vermillion watching South Dakota's team.  9,500 not a bad turnout.  USD's attendance has really spiked this season.  The average is probably close to 7,500-8,000 this year which isn't bad for a D2 team.  Since SDSU has gone D1 I would venture to guess that USD's average attendance has gone up more than SDSU's.  It just shows that good football is good football whether D2 or D1AA.    

Never the less nice win over UC Davis.  Sounded like a low scoring game.  
                Its hard to tell what impact this game had on drawing new fans. I am very proud of the fact that so many students were in attendence. Some students no doubt head for SF for the weekend on a regular basis as a get away. 40 years ago when I was a students, not as many students had cars, but that has changed. Even back then it was fun to head to SF for a weekend trip/

Also the week before where 8018 showed up represents a following from two institutions Augie and USD, so since SDSU nearly topped that total, I think SDSU in its marketing plan did succeed.

Anyone attending did see some very good football. Also USD should get at least 9000 for homecoming. I think the true SDSU and USD loyalists were at their venue of choice on Saturday. The anti D1 naysers may have been in Vermillion wearing their usual red and cheering on their yotes. I heard the last quarter on the radio.
                I know I saw the game I wanted too and what someone else did yesterday is pretty much their business and choice. ;D

BTW SDSU outdrew USD last year in total attendence. SDSU had only three home games. USD had five or six.
                We are not worried

Comment

Most of those 12-14k that someone was hoping for were down in Vermillion watching South Dakota's team.  9,500 not a bad turnout.  USD's attendance has really spiked this season.  The average is probably close to 7,500-8,000 this year which isn't bad for a D2 team.  Since SDSU has gone D1 I would venture to guess that USD's average attendance has gone up more than SDSU's.  It just shows that good football is good football whether D2 or D1AA.    

Um... yeah. It was homecoming at USD, no? As I recall, SDSU had 10,600 two weeks ago for Cal-Poly, just a plain old conference game.

On another topic: I didn't much care for Howard Wood Field. Crummy scoreboard. Bad sound system. Wind tunnel. And it smelled like a donut factory. Give me Coughlin any day.

Comment

i sure wasnt expecting 12- 14000 for the game. i was happy with the crowd, considering dakota days in vermillion. good average for USD this year, too bad they dont support their team when they are losing, like the jacks always have

Comment

A. Nobody cares, take it to the USD board.
                      B. 16-14, ummm...yeah, that's low scoring game by almost anyone's measure. Great observation.
                      C. See comment above about supporting a team, wins or losses.
                      D. See Smack Board for USD's opponents combined record, quality competion in DII this year.
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Great day for football yesterday and big win for the Jacks. I topped it off by watching Portland State put a HUGE scare into Boise State last night.

As for the Yotes, their success is no doubt in part to the absence of three NCC teams that used to paste them on a regular basis.

Comment

Thats a good one Crashola. To convert new NCC standings into the old NCC you could just take the teams current standings and add 3 so if you are in second place in the new NCC you would be in 5 place in the old NCC! 8)

Comment

Yote_Fan,
                            So by using real attendance measures and based on passed history of the U's attendance figures we could assume that there was at least a 1000 less fans than reported which would put the attendance at 8500.

Now, considering that it was Dog Days and you do have a pretty good DII team that is a nice crowd. As stated earlier we here at DI SDSU outdrew you last year with only 3 home games and we will outdraw you this year because I would say we average around 8000 a game as of right now. We still have our homecoming and a big game with Georgia Southern coming.

Do us all a favor and start your own kennel on another site...on second thought stay here because I am gaurenteed a little humor everytime I read your dribble. ;D

By the way...you must be a boog or a former boog because everything out of you reaks like a business frat boy. :-/

WHO'S THE U, GO JACKS! 8)

Comment

Congrat to the Jacks on a "Big" win....Also kudos to the Jacks "D" for holding UC-Davis scoreless until middle of the 4th.

Gameballs go to the P. Douglas & the "D"

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                                7239 is not bad. It would have been nice to see it top the last week end of 8018, but you got to remember Davis brought less than a 100 fans and their band so SDSU seems to have the core of the attendence at this game. Its hard to measure the impact on Sioux Falls, but I suspect a great deal of them were alums and friends. It would be interesting to find out who were first time attendees. I dont have a clue as to how you would find out that information. No doubt it takes survey people with clipboards.

I took two neighbors, one arrived here in 1995 from Orange County, CA , the other from Ohio in 1989, to the game. Neither had ever been to a SDSU athletic function in their lives. We had a blast, and have already made plans to go see the Georgia Southern game later in the season, as well as the Manhatten BB game this winter. I saw a LOT of old familiar faces at the game. I think it was a great idea, having a game down here, to help some alumni reconnect with the school.

Comment

Working...
                                X