Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sioux Falls Games

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

Exactly the response I'd expect from an ex-offensive player.  The offensive guys just can't handle a little mud or ice.  Just an observation.  ;D (my second emoticon ever used - I feel so alive)
    Actually, a little mud and ice is preferred at times...oh wait, running routes against a linebacker was always like running on air so I guess the turf conditions never mattered
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
      I thought is was a good game. I don't know if there was anything about it that made a person that had not seen the Jacks for awhile  say "boy, I have to make the trip to Brookings to see these guys on a regular basis!". We have had some quotes on that from some third parties, which I thought was against the rules, so I guess you can judge for themselves. A Jack alum in our newsroom went and enjoyed it, and will go again if it is in SF.
      Mike sure is good with the subtle jabs against SDSU. I think its a little weak but not unexpected. He might never come around but I suspect that will have little effect on the majority.

I interacted with 2 SDSU alums from Sioux Falls who hadn't seen a Jacks game since 1994. They attended the tailgate and the game because they were in Sioux Falls. They commented on the quality of play on both sides of the ball and felt there was a clear difference as compared to the early 90's at SDSU. They'll both be in Brookings for Hobo Days and the GSU game.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Ouch...they actually took an indirect shot at those of us who played in the early 90's. I'd actually like to see this year's team play against our 1993 team that traveled to Montana. If only we could hop in the way-back machine and make it happen. Good times, good times.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Mike sure is good with the subtle jabs against SDSU.  I think its a little weak but not unexpected.  He might never come around but I suspect that will have little effect on the majority.

I interacted with 2 SDSU alums from Sioux Falls who hadn't seen a Jacks game since 1994.  They attended the tailgate and the game because they were in Sioux Falls.  They commented on the quality of play on both sides of the ball and felt there was a clear difference as compared to the early 90's at SDSU.  They'll both be in Brookings for Hobo Days and the GSU game.
          I think the post above is a big reason why the administration wanted to come to Sioux Falls. Reconnecting with alumni who have not been engaged in SDSU athletics and get them to contribute dollars and attend future games in Brookings.

Comment

I interacted with 2 SDSU alums from Sioux Falls who hadn't seen a Jacks game since 1994.  They attended the tailgate and the game because they were in Sioux Falls.  They commented on the quality of play on both sides of the ball and felt there was a clear difference as compared to the early 90's at SDSU.  They'll both be in Brookings for Hobo Days and the GSU game.
            Catchem:

What did you expect? The early 90s, not to mention the late 80s, is SO D2/NCC. That's ancient history! Get with the times!

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit

Catchem:

What did you expect?  The early 90s, not to mention the late 80s, is SO D2/NCC.  That's ancient history!  Get with the times!
              Oh you nostalgic fools!! I was merely quoting someone who has limited knowledge with regards to SDSU FB. Don't go getting all upset and start reading too much into what they said. Simply put, a couple of alums who didn't give a rip about SDSU FB will now more regularly attend games.

I wouldn't draw any conclusion about how the teams from the NCC days would perform against this years team. Your "Glory Days" shall remain intact. I can't think of anything less relevant, however.

History is important but whats in the past will remain just that.

FB players! How do your wives put up with you? (91 doesn't have to answer that)
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                I thought is was a good game. I don't know if there was anything about it that made a person that had not seen the Jacks for awhile  say "boy, I have to make the trip to Brookings to see these guys on a regular basis!". We have had some quotes on that from some third parties, which I thought was against the rules, so I guess you can judge for themselves. A Jack alum in our newsroom went and enjoyed it, and will go again if it is in SF.
                The game wasn't about converting people over the course of 3 hours into devoted fans. It's part of a long-term strategy to raise awareness of SDSU sports in Sioux Falls. I think it was a good start, and the other events in the coming months are part of the strategy. Let's talk again in five years and see how the strategy worked out. If anyone expected people to have some sudden revelation because of one game, they're kidding themselves.

Comment

FB players!  How do your wives put up with you?  (91 doesn't have to answer that)
                  Lots of yelling. And spending what little money I make on "necessities" like new purses.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                    The game wasn't about converting people over the course of 3 hours into devoted fans. It's part of a long-term strategy to raise awareness of SDSU sports in Sioux Falls. I think it was a good start, and the other events in the coming months are part of the strategy. Let's talk again in five years and see how the strategy worked out. If anyone expected people to have some sudden revelation because of one game, they're kidding themselves.
                    Amen Amen Amen. Nothing to disagree with here. I wonder what the reaction would have been if only 3500 fans showed up? Most likely it would have been: "I told you so..... Its a big failure, whats wrong with Miller and Oien....."

I do think though that if the SDSU staff expected 10,000, then they need to go back and look at that criteria that lead to that conclusion. Was it bad estimating criteria, or was it based on warm and fuzzy feelings.?

Comment

jackmd: Come around to where? I was asked a question, and I answered it.

OK is dead on. It is pretty funny to spend the past year hearing about "long term plans", the "future of the State", and how "this is going to be a long process". Some of the people that have been saying that are now the same people that are losing their own patience and trying to figure out better ways to run the marketing department, among other suggestions.

Comment

I think just about everything about the Cal Davis game that can be said has been said. I thought it was a very entertaining game and felt the crowd was into it standing on all the big third down and fourth down defensive stands. I thought at times it was louder than at Coughlin. Was it the same kind of atmposhere as Coughin NO but I think it's a good start when you consider it was our first neutral site for our football program.
                        I have to admit that the atmosphere was nothing compared to Coughlin, HOWEVER, the noise also was nothing compared to most games at CAS. It needs to be much better yet, but it was vastly improved over games at home to this point. Filbert, were you handing out the "How to Cheer" handouts? Hopefully we can keep the energy in motion at our next home game and build on it. It was really satisfying not having much of a voice at work yet on Monday morning! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jharrisfan
                          I have to admit that the atmosphere was nothing compared to Coughlin, HOWEVER, the noise also was nothing compared to most games at CAS. It needs to be much better yet, but it was vastly improved over games at home to this point. Filbert, were you handing out the "How to Cheer" handouts? Hopefully we can keep the energy in motion at our next home game and build on it. It was really satisfying not having much of a voice at work yet on Monday morning! ;D ;D ;D ;D
                          Nope, although it's not a bad idea . . .

Like everything, upgrading our fan/cheering expertise will take time and patience . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                          X