Future schedules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future schedules

I've always looked down on D-IA teams that schedule lower division teams. I understand the money issue, but my question is, "Do the Jackrabbit players want to play a good D-IA team and get smashed?" If SDSU does schedule a D-IA team, I hope that we can compete. In 1984 we played Wyoming and lost by about 17 or 18 points. I know that SDSU has played other 1AA teams when we were D2. I hope that SDSU makes a good decision not only for money sake, but for the current players also.

Comment

The four schools I mentioned earlier were from the Big 10 and Big 12. You don't get those kinds of guarantees without playing that caliber team.
      SDSU will have to be at 57 scholarships for two years before we can play them. That means if we were able to go to 57 next year, we would not be able to schedule those teams until 2008-09-10-11 (one a year).
      Yes, you can think endowments, but at this point you are also thinking cash in the short term. To go to 57 next year will require deficit spending (creative financing) and we need accounts receiveable to probably do that.
      Unless of course, anybody on the board wants to donate a couple of million to jump start the process.
      In the meantime: the department is working on a number of angles to try to move ahead quickly. To start with, if any board poster or reader is willing to donate an additional $1,000 per year for five years (above current giving), I've got a deal for you. Contact me at onesys@itctel.com and I'll explain it to you. You can be a part of the solution, not part of the problem!!

Comment

I am a little confused for the reason to up our Scholarships so quickly.  So what has happen to the "master plan" of the the Athletic Dept.?  I realize that we need to up our Scholarships, so 1-A schools will play us.  I assume the people in charge have known this all along, and still laid out a plan for increasing scholarships.  So why is that changin now!  Like I have read many times that this process will take time and patience.  Why is this now changing?

I guess I don't know what the "master plan" really was, I just recall to seeing it refered to on here a few times.

Any imput is welcome.  

P.S.--I would guess maybe the Athletic Dept. Didn't think they would be getting the offers, that they are now recieving--maybe?

Comment

I would guess that the athletic department maybe has one or more firm guarantee offers on the table from I-A schools.

Some major colleges are already finalizing their 2010 schedules. If we want to be getting some of that action, we need to modify the plan, or maybe be shut out of guarantee games until 2011 or 2012.

So, instead of simply walking away from a net positive $400,000 or more over two years that we'd miss out on if we kept to our original plan, it is simply prudent to sit down and figure out if there's a way to spend an equivalent amount in the near term to get the scholies up faster.

Ya gotta spend money to make money.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU/BHS-FAN
            I am a little confused for the reason to up our Scholarships so quickly.  So what has happen to the "master plan" of the the Athletic Dept.?  I realize that we need to up our Scholarships, so 1-A schools will play us.  I assume the people in charge have known this all along, and still laid out a plan for increasing scholarships.  So why is that changin now!  Like I have read many times that this process will take time and patience.  Why is this now changing?

I guess I don't know what the "master plan" really was, I just recall to seeing it refered to on here a few times.

Any imput is welcome.  

P.S.--I would guess maybe the Athletic Dept.  Didn't think they would be getting the offers, that they are now recieving--maybe?
            Just my guess but BHS is not really sold on the move to DI but wants to enjoy the ride. Thats okay.

Changes have occurred since we made the move. DI has decided to allow a 12th game for IA schools. This makes for many more opportunities to schedule a game that pays a large garuantee. In order to be eligible we must be at 57 scholarships for 2 consecutive years. 300-400K will make a significant difference. Therefore, they are taking a close look at what they should do.

Make any sense?
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Changes have occurred since we made the move.  DI has decided to allow a 12th game for IA schools.  This makes for many more opportunities to schedule a game that pays a large garuantee.  In order to be eligible we must be at 57 scholarships for 2 consecutive years.  300-400K will make a significant difference.  Therefore, they are taking a close look at what they should do.

Make any sense?
              Exactly, the status Quo has changed.

In SDSU's favor!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                In the meantime: the department is working on a number of angles to try to move ahead quickly. To start with, if any board poster or reader is willing to donate an additional $1,000 per year for five years (above current giving), I've got a deal for you. Contact me at onesys@itctel.com and I'll explain it to you. You can be a part of the solution, not part of the problem!!
                How about I up it to $1500.00/year for five years and you give me exclusive naming rights to something simple. You know, something like the carpet in the football lockerrooms. Let's work something out here.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

On the topic of donations, Everyone should be looking into their employers "matching gifts" program. Most larger companies have this. When I make my Jackrabbit Club donation, my employer will match it dollar for dollar. This is a great way to increase your donations without it hurting the bank account too much. you will also get credit for the matching funds when it comes to earning priority points.

Comment

naming rights. the "Wilber Waterfountain", the GDW Flooring Project, you name it. I'm up for it.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Changes have occurred since we made the move.  DI has decided to allow a 12th game for IA schools.  This makes for many more opportunities to schedule a game that pays a large garuantee.  In order to be eligible we must be at 57 scholarships for 2 consecutive years.  300-400K will make a significant difference.  Therefore, they are taking a close look at what they should do.

Make any sense?
                      If this "is" the case, then I understand why?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU/BHS-FAN

If this "is" the case, then I understand why?

Thanks
                        Skeptic/skeptical should be included in your signature line or avatar.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                        X