Koenig 15 for 184 yrds
    Hohn 6 for 161 yrds
    Watson 11 for 117 yrds

567 total yrds rushing as a team/record

Wow!

Comment

Re: Missouri-Rolla

Originally posted by NorCalJack
      Any more updates MD, I can't listen to the game, the server is full.  Reading your game updates is helpful.
      I got called away and wasn't able to listen to the rest of the 2nd half.

Don't know what to day except the real Jackrabbit team must have shown up for the remainder of the game.

Most impressive, 14,500 fans.  Nice job Jacks supporters.  Lets see the same for Georgia Southern next week.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...47/1002/SPORTS

SDSU beats Missouri-Rolla, but loses Kardoes to an ankle injury
        CHRIS SOLARI
        csolari@argusleader.com

Article Published: 10/23/05

BROOKINGS -- "Luck of the Hobos" was the theme for South Dakota State's homecoming Saturday.

Instead, the misfortune of Andy Kardoes stole the spotlight.

SDSU lost its starting quarterback to an ankle injury on the first drive of the game and struggled early against Missouri-Rolla before the Jackrabbits' running game took over in a 64-28 victory at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

"I just have the worst luck," said a clearly downtrodden Kardoes, who was on crutches and rode in a golf cart to get back to the locker room after the game.

Three Jackrabbit backs - Cory Koenig, Anthony Watson and Trevor Hohn - combined for 462 of the school-record 567 rushing yards. It broke the old mark of 532 set in 1952 against Augustana. SDSU (4-3) also set a new record for total offense with 689 yards, topping 1999's 682-yard performance against Wayne State.

"It's been happening all year," said Koenig, who scored two times but twisted his ankle in the third quarter and came out of the game. "I don't think (the offensive linemen) get enough credit. As long as we run hard, it's there."

Still, it was Kardoes' ankle that was on most people's minds after the game. The junior, who has battled a high-ankle sprain all season, did not play after twisting it on the first series of the game. He was left standing on the sideline, putting no pressure on the foot as he mechanically moved up and down the sideline.

Kardoes, who served as a pallbearer at his grandmother's funeral Friday in Iowa, said he would have an MRI today to determine if there is ligament damage. It's unclear whether he will be able to play next week against Georgia Southern.

"He has as strong a passion for this game and South Dakota State football as I've seen in a young man," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "I'm sure he's hurting inside more than any of us know."

Most of the 14,503 late-arriving fans were probably asking themselves why redshirt freshman Ryan Berry was under center instead of Kardoes when they settled in their seats. With SDSU ahead 3-0, Berry entered on the second drive and looked shaky to start, but led the Jacks to a score. Koenig eventually slipped through a few defenders' hands, then stretched his way into the end zone for a 15-yard touchdown.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

From the Missouri-Rolla official website:

Jackrabbits outrun Miners in second half

(Oct. 22): BROOKINGS, S.D. -- For just over a half, the Miner football team was able to hang in with a Division I-AA opponent. But after trying to spring a surprise after closing to within three, South Dakota State assumed control of the game and pulled away for a 64-28 victory over UMR before a sellout crowd of 14,503 at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. After spotting the Jackrabbits a 10-0 lead early in the contest, the Miners closed to within three when Evan Gray connected with Brandon Landry for a 51-yard scoring pass with 4:23 left in the opening period. SDSU put two more touchdowns on the board to go up 24-7 before Gray threw a 15-touchdown pass to Ashton Gronewold with 41 seconds remaining in the half. On the Miners' opening possession of the second half, Gray hit Gronewold on a 77-yard scoring pass to bring the Miners to within three at 24-21. The Miners then tried to surprise the Jackrabbits with an onside kick, but the ball didn't go the required 10 yards and SDSU set up shop at the Miner 43. Four plays, later Cory Koenig rambled 15 yards for a touchdown that started a run of 21 SDSU points in a little over three minutes. The Jackrabbits ran off 34 unanswered points in all until Gray threw his fourth touchdown pass to Landry in the fourth quarter, breaking the school record for scoring passes in a season with 21. The Miner quarterback finished the game completing 27 of 46 passes for 335 yards, wideouts Landry and Josh Morales each caught six passes while Gronewold had five for 111 yards. The Miners threw for 353 of their 388 total yards, but couldn't slow down SDSU's running attack as the Jackrabbits finished the day with 567 yards on the grouund. The Miners, now 5-3 on the season, will be back on the road next week as they will face Austin Peay in a 1 p.m. game in Clarksville, Tenn.

Comment

Was dissapointed with the defensive play. I did see about 4 dropped interceptions and that would have really made the game ugly.

The running D and running O are still our strengths. They will be the key against GSU. However, GSU's running game will be much different that we have seen so far this year. Hohn showed some nice speed on his two monster runs. He probably would have scored on the second, but was out of gas from the first.

Comment

Working...
            X