Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNC

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
    Oh one more thing 89rabbit.  Remember all that smack you were running about how much better your attendance was then ours?  Well, it doesn't look the case this season as we are averaging over 8,000 and yours is in the 7,000's.  What's your excuse?  I see some people say hunting season.  Well, we have a thing here we must compete against on the weekends and it's called ski season.  I also remember you posting some time that in the 90's we averaged about 7,000 for a season and you wrote that we have topped off our attendance there.  Looks like you were wrong.  Look for the attendance to go up even higher when we get into  the BSC.  

Year to date attendance:

UNC

32,142 - 4 Games - Avg. 8,035

SDSU  

53,896 - 7 Games - Avg. 7,699

That is a nice turn around from last year when UNC's totals looked like this - 27,370 - 6 games - Avg. 4,562.  Do you attribute the upswing to your one extra win so far this year, being accepted to the Big Sky, or was it the two Colorado D-II schools you scheduled (smart business move, I applaud your athletics department, I 'm sure those schools fans boosted your numbers)?

Finally, it does look like the fans of UNC (and other area schools) may have proven me wrong.  I believe you are talking about this thread  

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...7811006;start=

from earlier this year in which I showed UNC's and SDSU's attendance from '98 - '04

04- SDSU had 9,846, UNC 4,562  
    03- SDSU had 5,547, UNC 5,746  
    02- SDSU had 5,967, UNC 5,984  
    01- SDSU had 6,732, UNC 5,231  
    00- SDSU had 5,436, UNC, 4860  
    99- SDSU had 6,139 UNC 6,836  
    98- SDSU had 4,632  UNC 5,563  

and I wrote that "What do these number suggest to me?  That win or lose, Championship season or 2-9 season, D-II or I-AA, UNC fans turn out about the same.  Looks like you have maxed out your fan support."  Unless the wheels fall off the wagon, UNC should avg. more the 5,000 + fans for only the second time since the late '90s.  Congrats to the Bears, I didn't think you had it in you.

Go Jackrabbits!  ;D  

P.S.  do keep in mind that 21,754 more people, to date, have watched Jackrabbit football then Bears football this season.  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Year to date attendance:

UNC

32,142 - 4 Games - Avg. 8,035

SDSU  

53,896 - 7 Games - Avg. 7,699

That is a nice turn around from last year when UNC's totals looked like this - 27,370 - 6 games - Avg. 4,562.  Do you attribute the upwing to your one extra win so far this year, being accepted to the Big Sky, or was it the two Colorado D-II schools you scheduled (smart business move, I applaud your athletics department, I 'm sure those schools fans boosted your numbers)?
      The two Colorado d2 teams didn't bring that many fans. Ft Lews maybe had a 100 and CSM maybe 200. The largest crowd we had wasn't a Colorado team, it was against Cal Poly.
      I attribute more attendance with three things. First, more advertisement, 2nd, we have a new student section that is bigger and completely filled up with students and 3rd, I think people are around her are excited about the team going into the BSC next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99

You heard wrong, Watson is doing just fine
        UNCBEARS FAN meant his own team UNC, and there running back Andre Wilson is apparently out due to injuries. This is a bunch of injuries and certainly has an impact.

In reference to 89 comment about the Dalton running off of Glenn's talent, I dont think we can say that as Glenn has came and went from Montana to Wyoming since Dalton took over.

Dalton though 70 something has coached at every level from NFL down to NAIA. He knows what he is doing offensively and defensively and even has the staff to back him up. When you dont have the talent and have injuries to boot, you dont win. This is what I think is happening at UNC.

Its a different world in D1AA than D2. At D2 UNC seemed to get anyone with talent in Colorado since there were no D2 programs offering 36 like UNC was. The RMAC had something like 28 to offer and that hurt their bidding against UNC in the days of D2.

I think SDSU can learn a big lesson from UNC and everyone connected with SDSU should be nervous about offering only 42. We do need to step up and offer 57 as we plan to do. The injury bug has not bit us too hard this year, but it could happen next year or there after.

Comment

As a point of reference here are Coach Stig's and Coach Dalton's wins at their current jobs.

SDSU - John Stiegelmeier: 49-36-0 - winning % of .576%

UNC - Kay Dalton: 33-32-0 - winning % of .507%

Things certainly have been getting rougher as of late for Coach Dalton.

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Comment

The two Colorado d2 teams didn't bring that many fans.  Ft Lews maybe had a 100 and CSM maybe 200.  The largest crowd we had wasn't a Colorado team, it was against Cal Poly.  
            I attribute more attendance with three things.  First, more advertisement, 2nd, we have a new student section that is bigger and completely filled up with students and 3rd, I think people are around her are excited about the team going into the BSC next season.  

Having beer served at your games also has to large impact on UNC's attendance figures.

Comment

SDSUfan is a level headed person.
              89rabbit, could you honestly tell me that having 7 starters out would not affect your team or that the bunnies would fair better? That is not an excuse but rather a reason why we are struggling lately.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                As a point of reference here are Coach Stig's and Coach Dalton's wins at their current jobs.

Things certainly have been getting rougher as of late for Coach Dalton.

Go Jackrabbits!  ;D
                This is true, but I dont think its fair to throw all the blame at the coaches feet. They dont have the same tools at D1AA and the more favorable advantages in recruiting that they had at the D2 level. I vaguely recall one season not to long ago where SDSU and NDSU directed some of their recruiting budget at Colorado, which brought us Kevin Brown and one other athlete that shall remain nameless. NDSU got Shaun Perkins who barring a bad car accident would have been playing along with Lamar Gordon in the NFL. It seems like this happen right after UNC won the two NC and they did that with some great talent, which dont now have and with 42 scholarships its going to be tough for them in the BSC.

Comment

SDSUfan is a level headed person.  
                  89rabbit, could you honestly tell me that having 7 starters out would not affect your team or that the bunnies would fair better?  That is not an excuse but rather a reason why we are struggling lately.  
                  Our Starting QB has missed a game, and been hurt for many others.  One of our starting RB has missed a game.  The offensive line has gone through many transformations this season, so much so that Chris Kelly the Great West Columnist wrote about it.  

Chris Kelly wrote:

"While most people like the Bison this week, I think SDSU wins a close one on Saturday. Their ability to run the ball pretty much against any defense has been impressive this season. Even with patchwork offensive lines at times they've run very well against good defensive fronts of Cal Poly, UCD, GSU, and even ran well against Texas St (even though they lost big) I don't see that changing this week, even in the hostile confines of the Fargo Dome.  .  .  ."

Our D-line is thiner then I would like.  Willie Jones out for the season, Marty Kranz (LB) not 100%, Paul Fischer missing games.  The list could go on and on.  Injuries are part of football and every team has them.  Can they effect a season?  Sure.  Would it be better to have 63 scholarship from a depth perspective?  Absolutely.  Have UNC injuries negatively impacted your season?  More then likely.  That being said you guys were not going to be world beaters this season anyway.  You were coming off a 2-9 season.  If it makes you feel better to think that without injuries and with more scholarships you would have been a contender this year that is fine by me.  Who knows maybe you would have been, but the reality is you are staring another losing season in the face and I don’t see thing getting much better for you in the future, just my opinion.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

You're right 89rabbit. I bow down to your mighty bunnies. What was I thinking??

Comment

I'm not sure what you have been thinking or taking for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

This is true, but I dont think its fair to throw all the blame at the coaches feet. They dont have the same tools at D1AA and the more favorable advantages in recruiting that they had at the D2 level.  I vaguely recall one season not to long ago where SDSU and NDSU directed some of their recruiting budget at Colorado, which brought us Kevin Brown and one other athlete that shall remain nameless. NDSU got Shaun Perkins who barring a bad car accident would have been playing along with Lamar Gordon in the NFL. It seems like this happen right after UNC won the two NC and they did that with some great talent, which dont now have and with 42 scholarships its going to be tough for them in the BSC.
                        SDSUFAN,

You know I am with you most of the time. All I am saying is that UNC, as good as they were in the '90s, historically have not been that great. Here are a few stats to back me up.

Winning % All time (According to College Football Data Warehouse)

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data...conf_index.php

SDSU
                        498-408-37 .549%

UNC
                        406-371-24 .522%

Record since the school made the move to I-AA ('03 for UNC, '04 SDSU)

SDSU
                        11-9 .550%

UNC
                        14-16 .466%

How about we look at the current Coaches records

NCC Football Championships

NDSU 26 (as reference)

SDSU 14

UNC 5

The UNC Bears had a nice run in the '90s, with a couple of D-II National Championships, and I congratulate them on that, I personally attribute a lot of that to Joe Glenn and his staff. It seems to me that since Joe left UNC has slowly slipped back to where they were before he got there. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me. I don't want to take anything away from the Bears but the reality is they are a sub .500 team since they moved to I-AA. I am not blaming Kay Dalton, I am just saying he is no Joe Glenn.

Go State! ;D

Comment

You're right 89rabbit.  I bow down to your mighty bunnies.   What was I thinking??
                          Come on man, you were 2-9 last year. This year you lost to Southern Utah (their only win), and NDSU spanked you 44-0 last week. Face facts man the D-II Glory Days are over and right now you support a bad football team. Sorry if the truth hurts. That being said, I do respect your passion for your school. Best of luck next year in the Big Sky.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Speaking of UNC I'm wondering why we have not played them on the Basketball court? Was there bad blood with the Basketball programs? Would seem to make sense for two independents who know each other well to play again.

Comment

Quit picking on the Bears!! They're in the BSC now and everything is going to change for the better! This is all part of the master plan.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                                Quit picking on the Bears!!  They're in the BSC now and everything is going to change for the better!  This is all part of the master plan.

Jackmd- please don't try to piss me off even more. I just found out that my bicycle was stolen, (a b-day gift from my wife). > > > >

Comment

Working...
                                X