Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD moving up?

Originally posted by NightHawk78
    2) The wrestling conference has been on the "verge" of creation for quite some time. Hopefully, it'll be in place next season when our wrestlers are eligible to compete for the national tournament!
    That's exactly why the wrestling conference has not been formed. Most reports in the Fargo media from the start stated that the first year of the conference would be the first year of postseason eligibility for NDSU/SDSU.

Comment

I agree Kid Dakota, I like the UBC.  Who would have guessed, but under the circumstances its good for all of us.  As more teams move up it might even make more sense and grow into something.
      www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

It's all well and good for USD and SCSU and others to consider moving up, but where are all these possible DI newcomers going to end up?

True, the NCC could move up en masse. But I haven't read anywhere that the powers-that-be in the NCAA would consider adding another automatic qualifier to postseason tournaments, especially the men's basketball tournament.

Also, if USD, UND and, say, SCSU or UNO move up, there aren't enough potential slots in established conferences to accommodate them, even if the Mid-Con and Big Sky opt for the 12-team, two-division route. Remember, Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne and Utah Valley State are angling for conference affiliations as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SD4Life
          True, the NCC could move up en masse. But I haven't read anywhere that the powers-that-be in the NCAA would consider adding another automatic qualifier to postseason tournaments, especially the men's basketball tournament.
          My understanding (chich, granted, isn't much) is that the NCAA is not interested in adding another automatic qualifier to the men's BB tournament.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Thats probably true right now, but more schools moving up is inevitable. Growth continues and universities find themselves able to support larger programs. They have to go somewhere so the current Division I conferences are going to have to grow in size or new conferences will have to be created.

Both will probably happen. The UBC might be that new conference? If this conference or any new conference gets established politics can change and the NCAA may feel differently about granting another auto-bid.
            www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

Filbert's D-I Independents and Newbies Summary
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thanks for that link filbert. Interesting.
                www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

I see you referenced the Wikipedia article on the UBC. I wrote that article. I'd like to see the UBC start their own web page - it's be nice to see stats and standings and all that.

I'd like to see the NCAA add three more spots to the NCAA tournament. Right now, there is one "play-in" game. It makes more sense to have four play-in games.

Comment

Yah, I wondered who among us D-I newbies wrote the UBC entry in Wikipedia . . . nobody else would probably care enough.

IPFW hosts the United Soccer Conference site. GWFC goes through collegesports.com, where a whole boatload of schools and conferences (fourteen by my count) live.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

News for the people holding out for a DI NCC, take UNO off the list of possible schools moving up. Yesterday on 1570 AM Jeff Culhane interviewed the UNO AD and he said a DI move is not an option for UNO at this time. He cited politics and lack of conference affiliation as the major reasons against moving up. He also spoke favorably of the DII conference to the south (MIAA?) and said it would be a better fit for UNO if the NCC expands to the north or the east.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbitdw
                        He also spoke favorably of the DII conference to the south (MIAA?) and said it would be a better fit for UNO if the NCC expands to the north or the east.
                        The possibility of UNO heading to the MIAA for geographic reasons has existed since the SU's moved up. With the NCC now reaching as far as the Pacific NW is seems almost foolish for UNO not to consider the MIAA for membership on the basis of financial/travel concerns alone.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                        X