Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vinny to the Colts

Originally posted by JackTwice
    JH - what I am trying to point out is not how much these guys have given but what is being done to "massage" them in to giving.  

I visited a Nebraska game a few years back when Scott Frost had just graduated and was with the Jets.  At one break in the game the PA announcer recognized Scott publicly with a camera on him.  He waved to the crowd and everyone went nuts for him.  This has got to make a guy feel good and remember where he came from and what fun he had there.  

This would also help him be possibly more free with some money when it came time to ask.

BTW I would love to be there if Parker and Vinny spent an afternoon together kicking.  That would be quite cool.  I don't know if Parker will be better than Vinny in the end but one thing is for sure.  Parker will have had more exposure than Vinny by the time he graduates.
    I fully understand what you are saying. What I'm saying is that regardless of the intent of your post someone is bound to jump on here with some rumor that they heard this about that regarding such and such and their donations or lack thereof and their reasons why or why not.

I for one would also love to know what's being done by the athletic department and coach Stig to get our NFL alums more involved, but no one on this board can say for certain (unless they have the initials KM, FO, or JS) what's being done so anything that gets posted is just rumor anyway.

My knowledge of what was being done is three years old.

Comment

what was being done three years ago JH, if you don't mind sharing.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

*From the Moderator

I agree with JH81, giving can be a very public (Charles Coughlin - Coughlin-Alumni Stadium) or a very private thing. I think it folly to assume that someone hasn't "given" to the University (in one form or another) simply because the general public is not aware of any "gifts" (be it time, money, or both). One would hope that all SDSU alums feel that their time at SDSU was well spent and that in return they might give back to the institution but it is a personal choice that each individual must and will make. Everyone, please be careful in your speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
          what was being done three years ago JH, if you don't mind sharing.
          I mind.

Comment

Because I have been a AARP Volunteer tax preparer two days a week , I think there is something to be said about how the whole taxation system works which makes it difficult for any one earning more than $150,000 per year to just sit down and write the check to any charity.

The IRS has what is known as alternative minimum tax plus there are regs on chartiable contributions that kick in and after the donation is done, the gov takes back a big chunk of the donation back with the AMT. Also sometimes big gifts have to be spread over a 5 year period in order maximize the deduction from a chartible gift. This depends on what your adjusted gross income amount is for the year.

Its complicated and I beginning to wonder if these IRS regs are somewhat of a stumbling block with every high income alum that is approached. It takes good tax planning to really maximize your deductions when you earn more than 150k a year.

Those of us who earn between 35k and 90k and have enough deductions to do Schedule A probably gain the most with contributions to SDSU and specifically the Jackrabbit Club. The only cold water the IRS throws in our direction is when we buy season tickets and get priorty seating and parking. We can then only deduct 80 per cent of your gift and that sucks swamp water in my opinion. This 20 percent value received notion is based on a ruling between the NCAA and the IRS.

I wish I had Vinny's tax problems. At the same time, if which I suspect, Vinny has as a good financial advisor and tax expert, they are probably telling him to slow down and give when it works best in terms of tax planning. I would be reluctant to give a big chunk if I knew it would not reduce my tax obligations.

Without knowing nothing about his situation, I going to continue to think that Vinny remembers where he came from and where he played college football and what it all meant to him and not worry too much about when, where and how much he donates to SDSU. Its a private matter, but for sure we all experience two things-- death and taxes.

Comment

On the subject of having the alums back for a game during the season, I am still good friends with Steve Heiden and see him at least once a year at our annual get-together. I've hooked up with him a couple times to see him play, but to even get that guy on the phone is nearly impossible during the season. They are just so busy. I'm not making any excuses for Steve, but I think it's extremely difficult for him to get time to come to SDSU for a game. I think if we ever played closer to Cleveland and he had the time he would make it, but making 4 connecting flights back to Brookings is probably hard to do. Would be cool for him to stop by a game, though. I'll put a bug in his ear this summer when I see him.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
              X