Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2007 Football Schedule

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
    As far as Hobo Day, I would choose SFAUSTIN on Sept 29th.  I don't think it is too early at all, especially since school is usually starting a week earlier now.  That would 5 weeks into the fall semester, plus the weather would be more pleasant.  Cal-Poly would be a great game for Hobo Day too, but I would think they would draw pretty well anyway since a lot of people saw a great game with them last year for the Beef Bowl.
    I agree. A 9/29 game for Hobo Day would be just fine. Probably a high in the mid to upper 60's. And from a fan's perspective, just think if we got an 80 with sun. The game wouldn't be the only thing to watch!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
      [quote author=jackrabbit1979 link=1149697499/30#43 date=1153753716]
      As far as Hobo Day, I would choose SFAUSTIN on Sept 29th.  I don't think it is too early at all, especially since school is usually starting a week earlier now.  That would 5 weeks into the fall semester, plus the weather would be more pleasant.  Cal-Poly would be a great game for Hobo Day too, but I would think they would draw pretty well anyway since a lot of people saw a great game with them last year for the Beef Bowl.
      I agree. A 9/29 game for Hobo Day would be just fine. Probably a high in the mid to upper 60's. And from a fan's perspective, just think if we got an 80 with sun. The game wouldn't be the only thing to watch![/quote]

Are you suggesting the ideas of girls showing up in bikinis to the game. because we already have some girls that put body paint on most of their upper bodies with some guys spelling out go jacks and usually something interesting on their backs.

Comment

A good solid body painting effort, but I can't quite give them a 10.00 though . . .

They need to work on belt consistency . . . also, Space Girl needed to have one leg over the rail like the other ladies.

Everyone's smiling and apparently still conscious, so full points there . . . and the blue "t-shirt necks" on Mr. O and Mr. S are excellent touches. A solid 9.8 effort, I'd say. good job!

And, I just find the whole concept behind Space Girl completely hilarious! ;D ;D ;D
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Space Girl . . . that has to become her official nickname.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

long live space girl lol. in case you were wondering who these guys are they are from left to right: Mark Monson, Chris Mangan, Stacy Huss (aka Space Girl), Cole Robbins, Anthony Wiarda, Sarah Hanson, Katie Engl, and Claire Steinke. No doubt we will see these guys this fall at the games.

Comment

Come to the Jacks Home Cross Country Meet and you'll see all the gals running as the Jacks'
              bunnies : :

Comment

Tradition tells me that that hope is a long shot. I'm not sure how much the AD gets to weigh in on Hobo Day, but its the other student life groups that have to plan and prepare and possible get the final vote.

I'd rather have hoby in Oct for the full atmosphere and the possiblity of either 80 or 8 degree weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                  Tradition tells me that that hope is a long shot. I'm not sure how much the AD gets to weigh in on Hobo Day, but its the other student life groups that have to plan and prepare and possible get the final vote.

I'd rather have hoby in Oct for the full atmosphere and the possiblity of either 80 or 8 degree weather.
                  There won't be as much atmosphere IF Hobo Day is the same day as pheasant opener as lot of students and alumni will be pheasant hunting (the pheasant opener is SD's unofficial state holiday). In addition, hotel rooms in Brookings will be even HARDER to come by because of the pheasant opener.

Late Sept. isn't the optimal Hobo Day, either, but Nov. 10 is likely too late for most people's taste. As for UPC, they have input, but they don't get the final say, which goes to the President.

Comment

Hobo Day wins over the Pheasants.

I doubt the opener would keep most fans away. I would guess less than a 1000 and I don't think they should change the date just so the game gets more attendance. That is just selling Hobo Day short. Besides, if Hobo Day was earlier, than even more would go out for the opener rather than to the Cal Poly game.

Maybe I'm just too biased, as I don't hunt pheasants much anymore. It is more an out of state holiday anyway.

Comment

I have to disagree with Jacks99. I don't hunt pheasants anymore either, but the day is still huge. I went out for the first time in about 10 years last year when some relatives came back for the opener. That weekend they had lined up 5 different places to hunt, three of which were owned by people that had children in collegiate athletics; all the parents were home for the hunts (one kid was playing on the road). People in small towns don't get the day off if the work at the hardware store, cafe, gas stations, etc. People from the bigger towns are heading out to hunt. I know lots of people that set up the hunting trip more than a year in advance. Hunting is still huge in SD.

Comment

I agree that the pheasent opener is a big deal, but then again so is Hobo Day.  If we can get 14,503 for a Hobo Day game against Missouri-Rolla when the temp at game time was 45 with North winds of 10 -15 mph, then we will have a good crowd even if the game falls on the opener of pheasent season.  People will just have to make a choice.  As for me, I would be at Hobo Day.  I have been in Brookings for every Hobo Day dating back to 1978.

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                          I have to disagree with Jacks99. I don't hunt pheasants anymore either, but the day is still huge. I went out for the first time in about 10 years last year when some relatives came back for the opener. That weekend they had lined up 5 different places to hunt, three of which were owned by people that had children in collegiate athletics; all the parents were home for the hunts (one kid was playing on the road). People in small towns don't get the day off if the work at the hardware store, cafe, gas stations, etc. People from the bigger towns are heading out to hunt. I know lots of people that set up the hunting trip more than a year in advance. Hunting is still huge in SD.
                          SDSU, City of Brookings, and the state of SD would benefit from making 9/29 Hobo Day, and wailing on SF Austin, sounds like a good intro by SDSU for SFA. Playing Poly for Hobo Day is a bit like playing Montana for Hobo Day. Great game, and still an upset if we (finally!!) knock the 'Stangs off.

Distinctly don't like our chances at getting that win at SLO this year for their homecoming in new, finished stadium. And yes, I'm getting feedback that stadium will likely be finished by then.

Comment

I would be happy with Hobo Day on 9/29 unless we pick up another home game for 10/13.

Comment

I really don't want to have to make the choice between pheasant opener and Hobo Day. Chances are good that going back to my hometown and hunting with the relatives would likely win out over getting drunk and watching a football game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
                                I really don't want to have to make the choice between pheasant opener and Hobo Day.  Chances are good that going back to my hometown and hunting with the relatives would likely win out over getting drunk and watching a football game.
                                Pheasant opener will win every time for me. Tradition in my family and the families of my friends for 20 plus years. Many of us are SDSU fans but many are only casual at best. As for the opener, bigger than Christmas I would say. If Hobo Day is the opener, we will have the game on the radio at the lodge, looking forward to the day we can watch it on TV.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X