Tearing up the field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tearing up the field

I don't understand why people believe we couldn't establish the run. At half time Koenig had rushed the ball in the low 20's for attempts and had 130+ yards. Even if you take out the 40 yarder he was still averaging 4 per rush. The first drive we had we marched down the field methodically against them. It seemed like we were in 2nd and short the whole drive. Until Doblar slipped on his cut and Kardoes threw a pick inside the 20. It seemed to me our offensive coaches gave up on the run in the second half and that probably cost us the game.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
      Can anyone show where another D1 school allows the local high school to play on their field?  Given the financial constraints on the program right now, I think that field turf is out of the question for the immediate future.  Once that is in place, BHS at CAS is no big deal.  But given reality, a Friday night turf beating does the Jacks no good, concession sales or not.
      I raised the question on AnyGivenSaturday.com.  So far others schools do allow other teams or competitions on there home fields.  I appears most if not all have a artifiscial playing surface.  Most pay a rental fee and home school gets the concessions.  Here is the link: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...ad.php?t=13154
      We...ARE...STATE!
      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
        I don't understand why people believe we couldn't establish the run. At half time Koenig had rushed the ball in the low 20's for attempts and had 130+ yards. Even if you take out the 40 yarder he was still averaging 4 per rush. The first drive we had we marched down the field methodically against them. It seemed like we were in 2nd and short the whole drive. Until Doblar slipped on his cut and Kardoes threw a pick inside the 20. It seemed to me our offensive coaches gave up on the run in the second half and that probably cost us the game.

I agree. With better field conditions, Koenig would have had 300 yards. Watson would have broken that 40-yarder for a TD, and everything would be right with the world... assuming the coaches' fixation with the Kardoes Ratio didn't foul it all up.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
          [quote author=91rabbit link=1157167768/15#24 date=1157312564]Given the financial constraints on the program right now, I think that field turf is out of the question for the immediate future.  Once that is in place, BHS at CAS is no big deal.  But given reality, a Friday night turf beating does the Jacks no good, concession sales or not.
          According to the Rapid City Journal the new football surface at O'Harra Stadium in Rapid City (SDSM&T Campus) which will be used next weekend for the first time cost about $720,000.  It is Field Turf.  The football field is inside of a track in pretty much the same layout as Howard Wood Field.

If might be nice to consider such a surface at CAS.  Such consideration begins with where to get three quarters of a million dollars.
          [/quote]

I posted these numbers on another thread.  I believe Howard Wood was done for $750,000.  I know (have a direct contact) who told me last year the Colorado State costs to put in its artifiscal playing surface cost $1.2 million.  I would guess this number may be more accurate for SDSU because the field between the Main bleachers to the west and east is wider than a track.  $2 million should cover it. The last few years have brought in the popularity of Bowl games in SD.  President, Dakota and Irish in SF.; Rushmore Bowl in RC; Hub City bowl in Aberdeen; State Fair Bowl in Huron and Capital City Bowl in Pierre.  Why not the STATE bowl in Brookings.  Rentals, concessions, sponsorships, parking for potential revenue.  High School Playoff games? How about a Band Competition at Coughlin?  The revenue potential is there!
          We...ARE...STATE!
          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Does anyone know how much it cost to put the lights in? How many years of playing at CAS does that cost justify? Is this an agreement that goes until the end of time?

How much would it cost for BHS to build their own stadium?

Why couldn't BHS cover part, if not most of the cost for field turf?
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Thanks for the research, D-Town. Any artificial surface negates the issue. If CAS has anything but real grass, I say play away. But until that happens, my opinion remains firm. Any big time schools? The ones listed don't exactly qualify.

Comment

Working...
              X