If someone new, then who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If someone new, then who?

Why not consider the Wisconsin Coach that beat you? If your going to look at getting rid of Stig why not gt the guy who knew how to win on your own field. Not being sarcastic and don't know his qualifications but he obviously knows how to coach.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDewMan
      JackPHD...did you really just say that this teams talent stacks up to an Iowa...Oklahoma...somebody like that.....and we just got beat by a D3 team?  How'd you get your PHD...correspondence classes?  Seriously, this was an embarassment.  The players and coaches should be outright embarassed.  You can't put State's talent with even a D2 team.  We didn't even play well against D2 competition but now you want to compare us to a top tier D1 team?  Changes need to be made.
      Before your third post, please make sure you read the context of previous posts. It's obvious jackphd is comparing SDSU's academic programs to those cited, as '79 points out.  Nice to come on board and fly off the handle. Have you been lurking on the board waiting for this opportunity to log in and start bashing, or did you really just find the board and decide to jump all over the program for one loss?

Originally posted by bisonbacker
      Why not consider the Wisconsin Coach that beat you?  If your going to look at getting rid of Stig why not gt the guy who knew how to win on your own field.  Not being sarcastic and don't know his qualifications but he obviously knows how to coach.
      No sarcasm taken here, you've got a great point.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Hold your horses

I like to view Stig as the I-AA version of Ty Willingham - a coach that promotes academics and character but simply isn't the best at X's and O's. You know what you're going to get, a bunch of average seasons unless you use someone else's players - Stig's 8 win season was with Daly's players, not his own.

The loss to a D-III school isn't the end of the world, there's still many games left to be played. We've been blessed with two consecutive winning seasons in our formative years in D-I, but if we don't win at least four this year (which I think is more than fair considering how difficult the schedule is) I think a coaching switch should be considered.

Comment

JackPHD...did you really just say that this teams talent stacks up to an Iowa...Oklahoma...somebody like that.....and we just got beat by a D3 team? How'd you get your PHD...correspondence classes? Seriously, this was an embarassment. The players and coaches should be outright embarassed. You can't put State's talent with even a D2 team. We didn't even play well against D2 competition but now you want to compare us to a top tier D1 team? Changes need to be made.
          I reread my post and I can see how somebody in a rush might have misread my comments, and if I had posted that athletics was no different, I'd deserve the kind of response that MountainDewMan posted.

Of course I was referring to academics. The fact is that, lofty reputations aside, larger schools like Iowa, Purdue, and Oklahoma aren't appreciably different as far as undergraduate education goes. In fact, in many ways, SDSU is better. You might take a year or two of classes in those larger schools and still not have set foot in a professor's office. The only professors you are likely to see are at the other end of a 400-student lecture hall. I have nothing against graduate assistants (in fact many are MORE prepared than some professors) but I do think you get a much more personalized experience at a place like SDSU. In my department, we pride ourselves on availability and on mentoring undergraduates. I haven't seen that kind of focus anywhere else I have been. And, importantly, that kind of student/teaching focus is rewarded here (at enormous, research-oriented universities, teaching is that annoying thing you have to do in between graduate seminars and international "research" junkets aka free overseas trips.)

Of course your experience will vary depending on the department. By and large, though, I'd say undergraduate education at SDSU stacks up well against those larger schools.

And for the record, Iowa, Purdue and Oklahoma have better football teams than SDSU. A lot better.

Comment

My apologies. I didn't realize JackPHD(I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that's Dr. Cecil) was talking about academics......I assumed he was talking about the sports aspect of it. I think SDSU has great classes. I haven't liked all the professors but the ones that I have liked I have LOVED. I think a visitor just looks past all of that though when they see the cosmetic make-up of the school and the athletic facilities.

Comment

How about Karl Ballard? The players loved him when he was here. He's coaching the D-line at Colorado St. He's young, which could mean he's inexperienced, but he made his way up from Special Teams Coordinator to Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach in just 3 years at State.

Comment

Fact of the matter is that Karl is probably making more as a D-Line coach at CSU than he would as a young head coach here.

I heard something interesting tonight while watching the ESPN full-circle broadcast on ESPNU. A fan had emailed Colin Cowherd asking about Virginia and the leash that Al Groh was on. Colin discussed how he thought there wasn't a good culture at Virginia and until they would update facilities and start putting money into the football program they would always remain mediocre.

Sounds very familiar to me.

Comment

How about Meierkort?

Comment

Jeff Kolpack talked about the SDSU loss in his column in today's Fargo Forum.

SDSU still stunned by loss to D-III opponent

South Dakota State head coach John Stiegelmeier dissected the Stanford and California Davis upset last year on film. Then he saw a sequel Saturday in person in his own backyard.

It was ugly.

“We imitated it,” Stiegelmeier said of the Davis-Stanford game. “It was a tough feeling for our program.”

Division III Wisconsin-La Crosse delivered a Division I-AA football shocker with a 17-3 win in Brookings. It was perhaps the second-biggest upset in the short history of Great West Football Conference teams. Davis still holds the top billing with its 20-17 victory at Stanford last season.

“Every time you go on the field, you better be bringing your ‘A’ game or somebody else will,” North Dakota State head coach Craig Bohl said.

SDSU didn’t bring its best game – and paid for it. It caught the head coach by surprise.

Stiegelmeier said he didn’t see any clues that his team wasn’t ready to play.

“All week we emphasized perfection,” he said.

For every mistake in practice, the Jackrabbit players had to do a conditioning exercise. They had one get-out-of-jail-free card.

They only got punished once.

“Evidently, deep down in their hearts, they thought it would be an easier game then it ended up being,” Stiegelmeier said. “In the second half, when you’re behind, you tighten up and get nervous and worry. We saw that in the Davis-Stanford game as we watched it.”

While the Jackrabbits got stung by a lesser-division foe, other I-AA teams broke through against higher-division I-A programs.

Montana State won 19-10 at Colorado, Portland State won 17-6 at New Mexico and Richmond won 13-0 at Duke.

“What you’re going to find is a lot of parity between the better programs in I-AA with some that are struggling in I-A,” Davis head coach Bob Biggs said.

Part of the reason is I-A teams are playing more games against I-AA programs because of the expanded 12-game schedule approved by the NCAA. NDSU, for instance, is playing two I-A teams this season – Ball State and Minnesota.

Last season, only two I-AA teams managed wins against I-A competition. Montana State, Portland State and Richmond already beat that total in one weekend.

“It’s a great confidence builder for I-AA schools out there competing against I-A schools,” Bohl said...

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/138783

Comment

My apologies. I didn't realize JackPHD(I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that's Dr. Cecil) was talking about academics......I assumed he was talking about the sports aspect of it. I think SDSU has great classes. I haven't liked all the professors but the ones that I have liked I have LOVED. I think a visitor just looks past all of that though when they see the cosmetic make-up of the school and the athletic facilities.
                      Yup, it's me. No need to apologize. My post wasn't very clear (something I rant about to my students!)

Comment

Originally posted by Borderguy
                        How about Meierkort?  
                        It's been mentioned before (page 1, about 3 posts from bottom).

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb...m=1157256939/0

I think he would/could be a canidate.  But, would he want to leave USD?  I would think the chance to move up would be hard to turn down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                          How about Karl Ballard?  The players loved him when he was here.  He's coaching the D-line at Colorado St.  He's young, which could mean he's inexperienced, but he made his way up from Special Teams Coordinator to Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach in just 3 years at State.
                          Karl would be an excellent choice, but Stig is still our coach. Unless he resigns or the adminstration feels they need to make a change, Stig is still in charge. I dont think losing to a D3 school is reason to fire a coach. Call me out for whatever,

Comment

I think we all need to take a couple steps back and take a deep breath.

1. The loss Saturday night was about as emberassing as I can remember for not only SDSU but for any school. Losing to a school two classes down is brutal! It can't be blamed on the weather, field, or turnovers. We weren't ready to go!

2. We need to give the team a chance to respond. We'll find out what kind of coaching staff and team leaders we have by how they bounce back. If they come back and have a good season from here on out we have to applaud there efforts as much as we are critisizing them now.

3. Kneejerk reactions aren't going to help anything. I remember when there was a lot of talk about whether Nagy is the right guy and all I could think was that we would be crazy to get rid of a guy with a .800 win percentage. If we would have let Nagy go, what kind of candidate would go to a school that releases coaches with that kind of record? Not the kind we want! Stig doesn't have those numbers to stand on but I have been very happy with how things have gone since we moved up. I admit having concerns coming into D-I if he was the guy, but he has performed well. He deserves a chance to turn it around!

4. The team needs us to rise up and continue to support them now more than ever! I challenge everyone to stay behind the team and trust Dr. Oien to deal with the other stuff!

I'll be watching the Jacks on the TV this weekend and cheering them on and hope they turn it around this week. If UW-Lacrosse can come back from the defeat we gave them a year ago and turn it into a win the following year, why can't we do the same?

GO BIG, GO BLUE, GO BEAT MONTANA!!!

From you're resident optimist!

SUPERBUNNY

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I agree with you 100% SUPERBUNNY

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
                              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I have no intention of forgetting the performance this weekend. Something very wrong occurred and it had better be corrected. That loss raises a lot of questions that have been somewhat under the surface. In other words, they have been discussed by some of us but not necessarily the general public.

Now, its out there. Stig knows it, the players know it, the fans know it, our opponents probably realize it. All that said, its a new week, new opponent, and I hope a completely different Jackrabbit team is on the practive field, watching film, and getting ready for our first DI game of the year.

I'll be watching this weekend hoping the Jacks perform much better than they did on and off the field this last weekend. As for replacements for Stig, premature to discuss that, he still has his job.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X