Crowd noise at games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crowd noise at games

I really think the SNL cowbell bit has finally found a home ... they were running it on third downs the other night. Very good. It wasn't over-done, it was timed just right and was getting a very good response. And after Walken said, "Guess what?" the crowd took to shouting "WHAT?" Finally, it has has a purpose instead of just being thrown on there randomly. I thought the crowd started slow, but was in pretty good forum by the end, once it was able to put the lingering Wisc.-LC fears behind it. As for crowd prompting from the announcer, it should only be subtle. The telling to fans to cheer as is done in Fargo is pretty lame. I guess I can't argue that it works well up there, but still ... some professionalism is good. When they say, "OK, fans, let's hear it for that Bison defense" after a third-down stop, that's overt and annoying and we need to steer clear of it. We could up it a bit, though. I agree with everybody who says the outdoor SDSU experience is much better than the dome NDSU feel. I just wish we could get more fans.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
      I think a little prodding from the PA announcer and cheerleaders would help, but not to the point of it being phony like I see at other venues like the Fargo Dome.
      I will say the cheerleaders won't help with college fans. They just won't. College students won't listen to them and adults certainly don't. Plus, their cheers are pretty ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. On occasion, they do something related to what's happening on the field. Otherwise ... mostly eye candy.

Comment

Originally posted by jivebunny
        [quote author=JACKGUYII link=1160413844/15#19 date=1160424931]I think a little prodding from the PA announcer and cheerleaders would help, but not to the point of it being phony like I see at other venues like the Fargo Dome.
        I will say the cheerleaders won't help with college fans. They just won't. College students won't listen to them and adults certainly don't. Plus, their cheers are pretty ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. On occasion, they do something related to what's happening on the field. Otherwise ... mostly eye candy.[/quote]
        Amen for eye candy.

Comment

Crowd excitement creates more crowd excitement.  With the vast majority of fans on the same side of the field at CAS almost all of the noise created is directed away from the fans.  The crowd noise should be directed at the field just as it is but it provides very little stimulus to the crowd to continue the noise and even increase it.  Sometime in the future when we have large crowds on both sides of the field, then one sides noise will fire up the other side and it will be better.

I personally have always liked Mr Manzer's announcing.  He has an authoritative but not intrusive voice.  However, since we got the new scoreboard and PA system he is very difficult to hear.  I noticed this last year at the one game I was able to attend and it was discussed on this board.  It was not much better this year.  About a third of the time I could not hear the names of the players announced following each play.

If you want to hear an intrusive announcer go to a BHSU basketball game.  He is a very good radio DJ but at the arena they set up the sound system so he can easily be heard and understood when he SPEAKS into the microphone.  But during the game he YELLS into the microphone.  I have actually left the arena for a time during their games because I have forgotten ear plugs.  When BHSU and SDSM&T both have home games on the same night I go to Tech so that I don't have to listen to him screaming at me!

Comment

Originally posted by jivebunny
            As for crowd prompting from the announcer, it should only be subtle. The telling to fans to cheer as is done in Fargo is pretty lame. I guess I can't argue that it works well up there, but still ... some professionalism is good. When they say, "OK, fans, let's hear it for that Bison defense" after a third-down stop, that's overt and annoying and we need to steer clear of it. We could up it a bit, though. I agree with everybody who says the outdoor SDSU experience is much better than the dome NDSU feel. I just wish we could get more fans.
            If the roles where reversed I think some of you Rabbits may be singing a different tune about the FargoDome. Really, I doubt I would trade the Dome for any I-AA venue besides Montana's and that would be a tough decision. I suppose you can call the Dome phoney if you like but the atmosphere I see in the Dome is a lot like other college stadiums I have been to and see on tv(bands playing and fans chearing). It's not like NDSU is blaring canned music or pumping noise through the speakers to create a fake atmophere. As for the PA guy he does a good job, he pumps the crowd up providing us with a better homefield advantage. It may be annoying for a visiting team but you shouldn't be expecting a neutral environment when your stepping onto somebody elses turf. But I suppose we'll tone down the PA guy if you tone down the cowbells, hows that sound?

Comment

Well, it's apparent that many of us have the same feelings.  This is the 35th reply to this topic and there have been some great ideas thrown out.  

I'm sure that people like bluehatman and others will take some things from here!

If nothing else, hopefully everyone that has posted or read this thread will make a point to stand up and make some noise at the Hobo Day game!  We have to start somewhere and that would be a perfect spot!

With the scoreboards and everything, we have some great tools to get the crowd involved a little more.  I certainly mean no disrespect to Mr. Manzer for all of his years of service, that is to be commended!  I believe he has done a great job over the years but the needs in that position have changed with the addition of the scoreboards in both Frost Arena and Coughlin Alumni.

Let me hear all the Jackrabbit Nation say, "Go Big, Bo Blue, xx xxxxx!"

SUPERBUNNY

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

DOWN IN FRONT!!
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                  DOWN IN FRONT!!
                  (standing up)
                  EVERYBODY UP! GO DEFENSE! YOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1160413844/30#36 date=1160499347]DOWN IN FRONT!!
                    (standing up)
                    EVERYBODY UP!  GO DEFENSE!  YOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! !!!!!!![/quote]

By the way, when at the NDSU beef bowl 2 years ago, a couple of my ex-teamates and myself were approximately 1/2 way up on the 40 yard line. If you'll remember, the game was back and forth in the second half with the Jacks pulling out a thrilling victory. My friends and I spent the better part of the 2nd half trying to get the crowd into big defensive stands, etc. We all had plenty of liquid courage running through us, so the occasional dirty look was not heeded. By the beginning of the 4th, a couple of the surrounding season ticket holders joined the fray. By the middle of the 4th, the entire section was with us.

The moral of the story and my advice to those trying to get the crowd involved: drink enough to get you into the "hey, I'll get out on the dancefloor" mood. Then, be persistent. If you don't drink, just have the courage to be "that guy" for a while. Despite the occasional dirty look and "down in front" all in attendance are Jacks fans. They want to see the Jacks succeed and will eventually show that desire by standing and cheering. The more times they stand and cheer, the less awkward it will feel and more routine it will become.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
                      [quote author=jivebunny link=1160413844/30#30 date=1160439132] As for crowd prompting from the announcer, it should only be subtle. The telling to fans to cheer as is done in Fargo is pretty lame. I guess I can't argue that it works well up there, but still ... some professionalism is good. When they say, "OK, fans, let's hear it for that Bison defense" after a third-down stop, that's overt and annoying and we need to steer clear of it. We could up it a bit, though. I agree with everybody who says the outdoor SDSU experience is much better than the dome NDSU feel. I just wish we could get more fans.
                      If the roles where reversed I think some of you Rabbits may be singing a different tune about the FargoDome. Really, I doubt I would trade the Dome for any I-AA venue besides Montana's and that would be a tough decision. I suppose you can call the Dome phoney if you like but the atmosphere I see in the Dome is a lot like other college stadiums I have been to and see on tv(bands playing and fans chearing). It's not like NDSU is blaring canned music or pumping noise through the speakers to create a fake atmophere. As for the PA guy he does a good job, he pumps the crowd up providing us with a better homefield advantage. It may be annoying for a visiting team but you shouldn't be expecting a neutral environment when your stepping onto somebody elses turf. But I suppose we'll tone down the PA guy if you tone down the cowbells, hows that sound? [/quote]

I have to agree that the Fargo PA guy telling fans to cheer is ... well, not good. An announcer should not do that unless it — unless you want to join the Arena Football League. He can provide subtle hints. For instance, I went to a Gophers game two years ago and the simple way he said “It’s (slight pause) third down” really got people going. He didn’t say, “Now, let’s hear it for those Gohphers!” That would have been unprofessional. I don’t mind when the NDSU announcers says, “Eeeeeeeevrybody up for the kickoff!” And I kind of like it when he adds “The march is on!” although it doesn’t make any sense that he says it when the Bison are receiving AND kicking. But the, “Hey, fans, start cheering” after third down ... it’s pretty hard to stomach, if I may say. I like the NDSU fireworks and general atmosphere. What I dont like about the FargoDome is that it always seems hazey in there. **shrug**

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Backer
                        [quote author=FargoBison link=1160413844/30#34 date=1160457740][quote author=jivebunny link=1160413844/30#30 date=1160439132] As for crowd prompting from the announcer, it should only be subtle. The telling to fans to cheer as is done in Fargo is pretty lame. I guess I can't argue that it works well up there, but still ... some professionalism is good. When they say, "OK, fans, let's hear it for that Bison defense" after a third-down stop, that's overt and annoying and we need to steer clear of it. We could up it a bit, though. I agree with everybody who says the outdoor SDSU experience is much better than the dome NDSU feel. I just wish we could get more fans.
                        If the roles where reversed I think some of you Rabbits may be singing a different tune about the FargoDome. Really, I doubt I would trade the Dome for any I-AA venue besides Montana's and that would be a tough decision. I suppose you can call the Dome phoney if you like but the atmosphere I see in the Dome is a lot like other college stadiums I have been to and see on tv(bands playing and fans chearing). It's not like NDSU is blaring canned music or pumping noise through the speakers to create a fake atmophere. As for the PA guy he does a good job, he pumps the crowd up providing us with a better homefield advantage. It may be annoying for a visiting team but you shouldn't be expecting a neutral environment when your stepping onto somebody elses turf. But I suppose we'll tone down the PA guy if you tone down the cowbells, hows that sound? [/quote]

I have to agree that the Fargo PA guy telling fans to cheer is ... well, not good. An announcer should not do that unless it — unless you want to join the Arena Football League. He can provide subtle hints. For instance, I went to a Gophers game two years ago and the simple way he said “It’s (slight pause) third down” really got people going. He didn’t say, “Now, let’s hear it for those Gohphers!” That would have been unprofessional. I don’t mind when the NDSU announcers says, “Eeeeeeeevrybody up for the kickoff!” And I kind of like it when he adds “The march is on!” although it doesn’t make any sense that he says it when the Bison are receiving AND kicking. But the, “Hey, fans, start cheering” after third down ... it’s pretty hard to stomach, if I may say. I like the NDSU fireworks and general atmosphere. What I dont like about the FargoDome is that it always seems hazey in there. **shrug**[/quote]

Great ideas Jack Backer! I agree that it could go too far but some gentle prodding from the PA could be very affective. You pretty much nailed what my thoughts are even though my original post was different.

The bottom line is that no matter what the PA does, it's up to us to get off our duff and make some noise. We can start bringing that noise now and I intend to!

You'll be able to spot me at the Hobo Day game. I'll be the one in Blue/Yellow with a beard standing on kickoffs and 3rd downs!

Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The bottom line is that no matter what the PA does, it's up to us to get off our duff and make some noise.  We can start bringing that noise now and I intend to!

Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!

SUPERBUNNY[/quote]

I will bring FOUR cow bells and pass them out to the people I will be sitting with.  Hey, the "COWBELL SECTION" I like the RING to that
                          We...ARE...STATE!
                          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

These issues have been talked about.  And there are somethings they just can't do and some things they might do.  The fireworks/smoke idea is a no go, it's too expensive to attain a fireworks permit.  As for the words to the school fight song displayed during the game there are compatibility issues with the scoreboard that don't allow for that,  the words are printed in the game programs and are on the sdsu webpage.  As for the Pride, it's a learning process they are learning.  Awesome crowd involvement doesn't quite happen over night but it takes time to happen.  As for the students sitting on the east side, it's been talked about but the Athletic department can't ask for that to happen...But when the Fanaddicts starts meeting regularly we will talk about where we as a group should sit.  The issue with the sound at the game has to deal with many issues including the fact the speakers don't work the best when it is windy out.  The students have done their part to get in the game, it's time for the older members of the board to get in the game and encourage others around them to get in the game.  Or at least bring a cowbell and ring it.

Blue out.

Comment

Not sure how you define older but I'd wager that I make as much noise, at appropriate times and using appropriate language (almost always) as any other body in those stands. Its a culture problem and if its going to change it will be gradually and probably with some resistance (typical of South Dakotans).
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                                These issues have been talked about.  And there are somethings they just can't do and some things they might do.  The fireworks/smoke idea is a no go, it's too expensive to attain a fireworks permit.  As for the words to the school fight song displayed during the game there are compatibility issues with the scoreboard that don't allow for that,  the words are printed in the game programs and are on the sdsu webpage.  As for the Pride, it's a learning process they are learning.  Awesome crowd involvement doesn't quite happen over night but it takes time to happen.  As for the students sitting on the east side, it's been talked about but the Athletic department can't ask for that to happen...But when the Fanaddicts starts meeting regularly we will talk about where we as a group should sit.  The issue with the sound at the game has to deal with many issues including the fact the speakers don't work the best when it is windy out.  The students have done their part to get in the game, it's time for the older members of the board to get in the game and encourage others around them to get in the game.  Or at least bring a cowbell and ring it.

Blue out.

Some of these old people can barely get up the steps and often do so with a walker. The reason they don't shout is because they can't hear. Or they have selective reactions and love to watch the game and the Pride sitting down. The point is we have some very long time and loyal fans who come out in the coldest weather and never miss a game. They just are not noise makers and that is no reflection on their loyality. Seventy years from now when your great grand son is wearing your big blue hat, you will understand.

Seems like some over on Bisonville have had the same complaints about the geneatrics not making noise for their beloved Bison. Cheering to my way of thinking is a youth thing and big blue hats are needed in the student sections more than in the reserved section.

I yell, but I dont want Peggy to tell me "Down in Front". She sits two rows in back of me. This is a good reason for not standing on third down, but maybe it could become contagious.

I do promise to bring my cow bell on Hobo Day as noise will make a difference on that day.

Comment

Working...
                                X