Cal-Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal-Poly

I think it will be a dog fight this weekend. I have great respect for the Jacks and feel that Cal Poly was lucky to come away with a W in both games the last two years. Cal Poly defense has been outstanding this year, but their offense has struggled. They have the weapons with RB Jame Noble and WR Ramses Barden and each of them have had good games, just not on the same night. The offense showed some signs of life in the second half against SUU and UC Davis and I am hoping that the week off has help them and not hurt them.

How many of you will be making the trip? Hope to meet some of the great Jack fans this weekend. It should be a great weekend weather wise. I am hoping to make it next year to Brookings so if I do not see you this weekend, hopefully I will next year.

Comment

It sounds like 150 plus people are gonna be traveling with the team to Cali. So there will be a decent crowd in attendance.

Comment

Was just on the Cal Pol website and they say the game is sold out. Appx 8700 seats. It is there Homecoming game. Hopefully we can damper there spirits and come home with a win. See everyone in San Luis Obispo.......

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
        http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Yes it is Cal Polys homecoming this weekend.

Comment

I will be at the game, so add 3 more Jack fans that will be attending.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Here is the Sports Network take on the game:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...AGN4045174.htm

.  .  .  South Dakota State (3-3,0-0) at No. 4 Cal Poly (5-1, 1-0), 7:00

This game out in San Luis Obispo, California feels more like one of those old slobber-knocker games back in the NFC East or NFC North in the early 90s. Both of these teams can play defense and run the ball, but there aren’t going to be a ton of plays made on the passing game for either side. Most I-AA followers are familiar with Cal Poly’s defense, and this year’s Mustangs might be better than ever. They are 14th in the nation against the rush, first against the pass with just 104 yards allowed per game, and second in scoring defense with 9.7 ppg. The running game part of their equation comes from James Noble, who has 501 yards and three touchdowns while recording more than five yards per carry. But while Cal Poly’s defense understandably gets all the attention in the Great West, South Dakota State joins most of the other teams in the league with a pretty good unit of their own. The Jackrabbits have given up just 41 points in their current three-game winning streak, and are doing a solid job with 20.2 ppg allowed this year. They are very tough against the pass, and do a decent job against the run. Still, that’s not in Cal Poly’s league. The Mustangs make more big plays than the Jackrabbits and are among the national leaders in sacks once again, and should also bottle up South Dakota State’s running attack. And while the Jackrabbits defense is very tough against the pass, Noble should break a few plays. Cal Poly really needs this game with a stretch at San Diego State, Montana and North Dakota State coming up, and will get another win on the strength of a strong defensive effort and Noble’s running. Prediction: Cal Poly 17, South Dakota State 7   .  .  .  (read more)

Let's prove him wrong on the scoreboard.  Go Jackrabbits!

Go State!  

Comment

I will say this. Last year Davis came in here only giving up 40+ yards rushing per game and we put a bunch on them. We seem to be able to run on anyone, anywhere when we put our mind to it. With the speed and size of Poly's dline and lb's Watson can't afford to pick his spots he just needs to open it up and hit the hole. If he can do that we will run the ball. I wonder if the Sports Network knows anything about us. We have been very strong against the run and questionable against the pass in the last three games. I understand there may have been some changes in the defensive backfield to cover some mistakes but I don't know if that is fact yet or not.

Hopefully we can come out strong and move the ball a bit and our defense doesn't give up the big play. If that is the case I say SDSU 13 Poly 7.

Otherwise Poly 17 SDSU 13
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy
                  I will say this.  Last year Davis came in here only giving up 40+ yards rushing per game and we put a bunch on them.  We seem to be able to run on anyone, anywhere when we put our mind to it.  With the speed and size of Poly's dline and lb's Watson can't afford to pick his spots he just needs to open it up and hit the hole.  If he can do that we will run the ball.  I wonder if the Sports Network knows anything about us.  We have been very strong against the run and questionable against the pass in the last three games.  I understand there may have been some changes in the defensive backfield to cover some mistakes but I don't know if that is fact yet or not.  

Hopefully we can come out strong and move the ball a bit and our defense doesn't give up the big play.  If that is the case I say SDSU 13 Poly 7.  

Matt Dougherty does know about us.  This pre-season he came out with the top 5 running back tandems in DIAA.  Koenig and Watson were not listed even though they maybe should have.  I emailed Matt and, to my surprise, he emailed me back.  He had very good things to say about SDSU and our running game.

Comment

Not having Koenig is going to hurt a little bit. Watson needs a career type performance. It would be great if Andy can get them keying on his runs and then sneak in a few quick hitters via the air. I think Watson needs to go over 100 yds and Andy needs 75 yds on the ground as well. No turnovers or at least no more than 1 and a great special teams performance, especially as it pertains to field position. Finally, don't let penalties take you out of the game. Jacks have a shot but have to play their best once again. I think we suprise them early, they have to try to go to the air away from their strength, and then we hold on to win. Kind of like they did to us last year.

SDSU 20
                    Cal-Poly 17
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy
                      I will say this.  Last year Davis came in here only giving up 40+ yards rushing per game and we put a bunch on them.  We seem to be able to run on anyone, anywhere when we put our mind to it.  With the speed and size of Poly's dline and lb's Watson can't afford to pick his spots he just needs to open it up and hit the hole.  If he can do that we will run the ball.  I wonder if the Sports Network knows anything about us.  We have been very strong against the run and questionable against the pass in the last three games.  I understand there may have been some changes in the defensive backfield to cover some mistakes but I don't know if that is fact yet or not.  

Hopefully we can come out strong and move the ball a bit and our defense doesn't give up the big play.  If that is the case I say SDSU 13 Poly 7.  

Koenig had a very good game last year against Cal Poly.  He hits the hole with a full head of steam.  I think that he is the better back against Cal Poly.  Watson is a great back, but if he dances there is a good chance Cal Poly's D will catch him in the backfield a few times.  I do not see that happening with Koenig.

Should be a great game.  I would be surprised if either teams scores more than 24 points seeing that both teams strength is their defense.  This game probably will be detirmined on turnovers and special teams.

The weather forecast for Saturday in San Luis Obispo is a high in the mid 70's and the low Saturday night in the mid to low 50's.  Hope to see a few of you at the game.

(Edit) I made the above post while jackmd was making his post and did not know that Koenig would miss the game. What is his injury? Hope he makes a quick recovery.

Comment

He injured his shoulder.

Comment

Home Field Advantage

This is going to be a close one (again)! It may just come down to playing in San Luis Obispo in front of an enlarged homecoming crowd in the soon to be completed (larger) stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang
                            [quote author=eqguy link=1160510625/15#21 date=1161214611]I will say this.  Last year Davis came in here only giving up 40+ yards rushing per game and we put a bunch on them.  We seem to be able to run on anyone, anywhere when we put our mind to it.  With the speed and size of Poly's dline and lb's Watson can't afford to pick his spots he just needs to open it up and hit the hole.  If he can do that we will run the ball.  I wonder if the Sports Network knows anything about us.  We have been very strong against the run and questionable against the pass in the last three games.  I understand there may have been some changes in the defensive backfield to cover some mistakes but I don't know if that is fact yet or not.  

Koenig had a very good game last year against Cal Poly.  He hits the hole with a full head of steam.  I think that he is the better back against Cal Poly.  Watson is a great back, but if he dances there is a good chance Cal Poly's D will catch him in the backfield a few times.  I do not see that happening with Koenig.

Should be a great game.  I would be surprised if either teams scores more than 24 points seeing that both teams strength is their defense.  This game probably will be detirmined on turnovers and special teams.

The weather forecast for Saturday in San Luis Obispo is a high in the mid 70's and the low Saturday night in the mid to low 50's.  Hope to see a few of you at the game.

(Edit) I made the above post while jackmd was making his post and did not know that Koenig would miss the game.  What is his injury?  Hope he makes a quick recovery.[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head!  Watson cannot afford to dance- he needs to get through the hole and then look to make moves.  We cannot afford the 2-4 yard losses in return for the one big run.  We need the 3-4 yard gains with the big one to keep the chains moving and to avoid the 3rd and longs where their front can pin their ears back for the pass rush.  Koenig was the better back last year in this game.

Comment

Here is the Collegian's preview story:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...ucollegian.com

Jacks travel to Cali
                              SDSU faces fourth-ranked, conference favorite Cal Poly in tough road game.

Brian Kimmes

Media Credit: Charlie Johnson

The Jackrabbit football team has won its past three games, but in order to make it four in a row, the Jacks must defeat another ranked opponent on the road. SDSU faces the pre-season Great West Football Conference pick and No. 4 California Polytechnic State University, Saturday, Oct. 21.

The Mustangs enter the game 5-1 on the season, and 2-0 in Great West Football Conference play. Last week, Cal Poly defeated the University of California-Davis, 23-17.

Head Coach John Stiegelmeier said preparing for Cal Poly is a challenge because "they have a style all their own."

"Everything about the program is unique ? even their special teams have a twist to them," he said.

Stiegelmeier said the Jacks' bye week came at the perfect time because it allowed three extra days to prepare for Cal Poly and also gave injured players a chance to recover.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Anyone know if the game is being broadcasted anywhere on the internet? Cal-Poly have any of that technology? I'd love to be able to watch this game.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X