Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for a change at the top

Originally posted by Rabbit_FB_Alum
    It's funny how you all forget what Stig did the last 2 years with mostly D2 players.  I agree that we need a change starting at the TOP.  I mean the VERY TOP.  It isn't Stig.  We need better facilities and more $$$ to bring in quality assistants (and to keep the good ones that we already have).  Stig is doing the best he can with what he has.  As to that point, lets look at what he has.  A small school, in a small town, in the middle of no where whith second rate facilities.  That isn't an easy sell to top calibur athletes.  We need to see more from the university "brass" in terms of $$$ for scholarships, facilities, and coaching salaries.  If that is in place and we still stink, then blame Stig.  As a former player, I can't say 1 bad thing about the man.  I gave my body and all my free time to SDSU to play football there.  I can't put a price tag on how much it meant to play for a guy that didn't think I was just a piece of meat to grind up on the football field.  I wouldn't give up the experiance that I had for anything, not even a national chanpionship.
    SDSU and Brookings is every bit as nice a place as Fargo, Auburn, AL, Bozeman MT, Macomb, IL, so that doesn't hold. SD will always be known for low salaries. But so is the cost of living. And such a quality of life!!!

There is a magic that certain coaches have that can stimulate student-athletes to be fabulous both on the field, and in the classroom. Stig seems to be missing that magic. At State now, Aaron Johnston seems to be that kind of coach. Where could we find such a coach? How about a review of highly successful over a ten year period at a D-II school or NAIA top program? How about some of the assistants at successful D-I prgrams? Best if can find an upper great plains guy who has the roots that he'd love to return to.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit_FB_Alum
      It's funny how you all forget what Stig did the last 2 years with mostly D2 players.
      It should be noted that we have only won roughly 1/3 of our games vs. DIAA opponents in the last 3 football seasons.  So yes, I guess still are an average D2 team.

Comment

rjack21:

I get your point. But I also get the points made by Rabbit Football Alum. He said he appreicated that Coach Stig treated him as being more than a piece of meat. I think coaches can be effective if they care about their athletes as people.

I assume you played your four years of baseball for Mark Eckland. Mark seems to be a caring person about players and probably wished he had more scholarship money too offer to recruits. So its hard to totally evaluate any coach. Oh yes I am sure Mark liked to win and I bet he built a fire under you guys.

Winning is important and I hope as much as anyone for a back to back season of nine wins in football. It would do wonders for the football program. I have also given a  bunch money to SDSU for athletic scholarships. I as a non athlete alum  see it as more than a tax deduction.

I also care about character of the athletes who will receive this benefit. I am very curious to know what kind of people have I helped. The young man in the trust department never was awarded the scholarship in my name, but I could not help be impressed by him and his life after football.  There are many out there. This is the good part.

I think as many have alluded with a new president, we are going to see a review and possible changes. I think everyone who feels strongly about any issue in the athletic department should not be afraid to drop the new president a line. I am getting redundant here so will shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
          [quote author=Rabbit_FB_Alum link=1157837690/15#24 date=1157866017]It's funny how you all forget what Stig did the last 2 years with mostly D2 players.
          It should be noted that we have only won roughly 1/3 of our games vs. DIAA opponents in the last 3 football seasons.  So yes, I guess still are an average D2 team.
          [/quote]

It's easy to throw that percentage in there but what about the caliber of the I-AA teams?  Other the than SUU and UNC where are the average to low games?  I've actually thought we have been too aggressive on playing the top teir teams of I-AA similar to the BB plan.  However, I think it has been exiting.

Playing the following consistently ranked teams tough and usually close is nothing to be ashamed of in Transition:   Montana, Cal Poly,  Montana St., GSU, UNI, Southern etc. etc.  

There are what, over 110 teams In I-AA and we are playing the top 30 week after week?  Get some perspective here folks.

Sure it would be nice to win a few more, but after the transistion is when we should expect it.

Comment

I guess I would like to give Stig at least this season and next.  Here is my warped reasoning.

1)  State has had only 2 losing seasons in the last 9 with Stig at head coach.  I know that is not the greatest endorsement, but it is worth something.

2)  State has NEVER posted a losing record since making the move to DI.  That may change this year, but with our schedule a .500 season would have been considered a success by many.

3)  He is a good man.  I know a lot of you don’t count that as a credit in coaching.  I always go back to business analogies.  If I’m running a business, and I always choose quality individuals over high producers with questionable ethics.  The reason is simple.  A quality individual will always leave the business in as good or better shape than he/she found it.  If you get a high producer with bad ethics, they usually take what they can get and are out the door for the next best thing in 3-5 years.  Google Dennis Koslowski.  When it comes to leadership, I always take quality over quantity because when you take quality, things usually work out for the better.

4)    In the heat of the moment, I was VERY critical of SDSU’s Bball coaching staff last year.  Although I am still not crazy about all that has happened in that area, I have come to the realization that a change while in transition will only set the program back by years.  For me it came down to a question of, if we change, can we get someone better?  Right now, the answer is no.  In basketball and football.  I think the same applies here.  Stability is a hard thing to achieve in DI athletice, especially while in a transition period.

5)  I think the point about assistants is a valid one.  How great would it be to be a player and come to campus for your freshman season only to find that the guy you were recruited by has left the program. How great would it be to be a Junior on a team that has shown some success, and have a new Defensive Coordinator every 2 years? I think Ballard stuck around for so long in part because of Coach Stig.

6)  To me, criticising the Stig hire by citing a bunch of other finalists is not the greatest argument.  Those other coaches that were finalists for the job?  From what I can see, the other candidates have either moved out of coaching or are STILL assistants.  If they were truly so great, don’t you think some other program would have picked them up by now?

So, I guess I am in wait and see mode. Although we have seen some success, we have also experienced some failure, which I am not crazy about. I guess I would like to see Stig back for 1 more year.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

It's easy to throw that percentage in there but what about the caliber of the I-AA teams? Other the than SUU and UNC where are the average to low games? I've actually thought we have been too aggressive on playing the top teir teams of I-AA similar to the BB plan. However, I think it has been exiting.

Playing the following consistently ranked teams tough and usually close is nothing to be ashamed of in Transition: Montana, Cal Poly, Montana St., GSU, UNI, Southern etc. etc.

There are what, over 110 teams In I-AA and we are playing the top 30 week after week? Get some perspective here folks.

Sure it would be nice to win a few more, but after the transistion is when we should expect it.
              I agree totally and wholeheartedly about the scheduling issue. I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I think someone in the athletic department is trying to get stig fired just from the grueling schedule that continually gets put together year in and year out.

18 Road games in 3 years including two years of 7 road games each (19 road games if you count the S.F game last year)

All D-IAA games this year are against the top 25. Three of those can't be helped because they are conference games but what about Weber State or Northern Arizona? Why not some mid to low level games sprinkled in.

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice

I agree totally and wholeheartedly about the scheduling issue.  I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I think someone in the athletic department is trying to get stig fired just from the grueling schedule that continually gets put together year in and year out.  

18 Road games in 3 years including two years of 7 road games each (19 road games if you count the S.F game last year)
                Why not say the same thing about the guy's basketball schedule? maybe I'm wrong and looking at it from the student's point of view, but i think the students want to see good competition, however lack of talent on certain sports doesn't make it too exciting. I'm positive that the marketing and ticket offices want to draw students to the game. now granted getting our a$$es beat every week isnt fun but we're trying to bring in a crowd. I don't know what Fred is thinking when he schedules games but seeing where we rank against other teams to me beats 69-6 games against Valpo in football.

Comment

My posts on gameday always seem too harsh when I re-read them the morning after. This weekends loss and the debacle against UW-L can't be blamed on any one person, coach, player, etc...

It must reflect some problem in the "system" right now. Stig certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Montana, they are a good team and were playing there home opener after a getting whooped by a superior Iowa team. To expect a team new to DIAA to go in there and compete for a full 60 minutes is probably impractical.

I just think part of fixing the system might mean a few changes that aren't necessarily justified on the basis of any past performance but more geared toward the future and the needed changes that DI have brought. Again, I have no experience in athletic admin or coaching at any college level so I am speaking of the cuff.

Lets see what next week and the remainder of the season brings. I should have placed a question mark after my opening statement.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                    [quote author=Rabbitlivinginverm link=1157837690/30#31 date=1157937951][quote author=Rabbit_FB_Alum link=1157837690/15#24 date=1157866017]It's funny how you all forget what Stig did the last 2 years with mostly D2 players.
                    [/quote]

It's easy to throw that percentage in there but what about the caliber of the I-AA teams?  Other the than SUU and UNC where are the average to low games?  I've actually thought we have been too aggressive on playing the top teir teams of I-AA similar to the BB plan.  However, I think it has been exiting.

Playing the following consistently ranked teams tough and usually close is nothing to be ashamed of in Transition:   Montana, Cal Poly,  Montana St., GSU, UNI, Southern etc. etc.  

There are what, over 110 teams In I-AA and we are playing the top 30 week after week?  Get some perspective here folks.

Sure it would be nice to win a few more, but after the transistion is when we should expect it.[/quote]

Not to throw fuel on this already large fire but since you asked for perspective here goes.  I think most on this board have been happy to satisfied with the program as we transitions because we have won a few we lost a few in I-AA but  we had always beaten the lower level teams (won the games that you knew we should win).  As a matter of fact we had won handily against the D-III, D-II, and I-AA non-scholarship programs.  

What seems to have changed in some people's minds is we lost one to a school that we had no business even letting stay close to us.  That is what seems to have changed many peoples moods about our football program.  

Had we won our first game and played Montana the exact way we did Saturday, I don't think this thread would exist.  The UW-L game will haunt the season and the program for some time, I am afraid.   Maybe it is time to move on.  At least that is my personal take.

Go State!  

P.S. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the Coaching staffs of our programs play an overwhelming role in setting their schedules.  

Comment

Amen........Lets move on

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
                      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                        Had we won our first game and played Montana the exact way we did Saturday, I don't think this thread would exist.  The UW-L game will haunt the season and the program for some time, I am afraid.   Maybe it is time to move on.  At least that is my personal take.
                        Nail on the head. Good luck to Stig and the boys as they head over to Iowa.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I think the horse is dead on this one as well. Done :-X
                          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

P.S. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the Coaching staffs of our programs play an overwhelming role in setting their schedules.
                            I know the horse is dead so I am done after adding this one point. The schedules for football are made largely by Rob Peterson and Fred with some input from Stig. They are out seeking games and come back and let stig know who they have scheduled.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                              Why not say the same thing about the guy's basketball schedule?  
                              Actually I think many were and now they are toning it down this year and next.

I'm not saying we don't play top teams, just not so many.

More than glad to move on in general and hope for a big game at UNI.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                                My posts on gameday always seem too harsh when I re-read them the morning after.  This weekends loss and the debacle against UW-L can't be blamed on any one person, coach, player, etc...

It must reflect some problem in the "system" right now.  Stig certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Montana, they are a good team and were playing there home opener after a getting whooped by a superior Iowa team.  To expect a team new to DIAA to go in there and compete for a full 60 minutes is probably impractical.

I just think part of fixing the system might mean a few changes that aren't necessarily justified on the basis of any past performance but more geared toward the future and the needed changes that DI have brought.  Again, I have no experience in athletic admin or coaching at any college level so I am speaking of the cuff.

Lets see what next week and the remainder of the season brings. I should have placed a question mark after my opening statement.
                                Not to beat a dead horse......

Jumping to conclusions on the basis of one game is foolish, that makes me a fool. Good luck to Stig and the boys against UC-Davis this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X