seating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: seating

I was on the east side during the Central Arkansas game and a small contingent of SDSU students (appeared to be walking okay) lined up behind the CAU bench and started heckling and they were asked by security to leave.  The problem was that they were standing at the fence and weren't in the seats.  I don't know if that's the situation the student was talking about in his post.  

Obnoxious fans (I guess that's in the eyes and ears of the person who is complaining or laughing) who are in the stands are left alone.  

I agree with an earlier poster about some fans being very clever in their heckling...I have a good laugh even though the heckling is directed at my team.  And then there are those students who are either dim witted or so alcohol soaked that the best they can muster is an occasional "you suck!" or maybe a swear word or two.

Comment

The students during the Central Arkansas game were asked to leave because the were standing along the fence. If you are standing along the fence when there are bleachers behind you, common sense says to find a spot so that you dont block everyone elses view. IMHO

Comment

How about the Jacks kick their arse on the field and the fans treat them with respect on and off the field. It is ok to be loud in support for your team. Do you really think your "heckling" gets to the opposition? Do you think your comments scare them so they won't play well? Get real. Get loud supporting the Jacks and the combined noise just might be unnerving. If you doubt this approach's affectiveness...see Nebraska. They have a clear homefield advantage and a reputation for treating opposing teams with respect.
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by backyardrabbit
          I am a student and would like to start sitting on the east side behind the UC Davis team... I have friends that have told me that they were asked to leave and go to the student section (maybe because they were yelling at the other team) but, are there rules saying that large groups of students shouldnt sit over there?
          I want to try and get a large student croud over there so we can help get in the heads of the team and show them that they are playing away.
          I do remember some students during the Lacrosse game being asked to go back to the student section; those students were not sitting in the stands but rather standing right at the fence ringing a cow bell. UPD came over and said they could sit in the stands but could not stand at the fence line.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells
            How about the Jacks kick their arse on the field and the fans treat them with respect on and off the field.  It is ok to be loud in support for your team.  Do you really think your "heckling" gets to the opposition?  Do you think your comments scare them so they won't play well?  Get real.  Get loud supporting the Jacks and the combined noise just might be unnerving.  If you doubt this approach's affectiveness...see Nebraska.  They have a clear homefield advantage and a reputation for treating opposing teams with respect.
            Obviously you didn't go to the volleyball game Friday night. : The coaches and players for SDSU enjoy when we use personal information about the other teams when they come into frost to play. Stop being nice old man. You haven't been to other schools and see how they treat our players, so why baby visiting teams?
            Nebraska sucks sorry to say. Go to Boston College, North Carolina State and other east coast schools, they do research on the opposing teams players. Even your beloved Nebraska harasses opposing teams with info they get off of facebook and myspace.
            I hate to say it but you got the lazy fan mentality of a lot of South Dakotans have. They are content making a little noise and thats about all.

Did I hear someone just say down in front please? I think I'll stand out in the crowd.

Comment

I'll toss this out from personal experience. I can count on zero fingers the number of times opposing fans were a distraction while I was playing. Maybe I was in the minority, but when the helmet went on I had tunnel vision and my ears were focused on what was happening on the field. Cripes, Montana staged one of the biggest comebacks in history while I was playing and the only thing that broke my concentration was the damn cannon they shot off. Same thing for the Fargo Dome. Fans, never heard 'em. Scream and yell all you want at the opposition, but if they're any good they ain't listening.

I'm guessing things haven't changed, at CAS section R, which is visiting side encompassing the 50 yard line has always been visiting team reserved seating. And to say they can't tell students where to sit, OK, but they can tell you where you can't sit. Don't have a reserved ticket, tough, can't sit in reserved seating. Students always complain when someone with GA tickets tries to sit in the designated student section, and staff has always done their best to keep the student section reserved for students. So don't complain when someone gets a little riled when students aren't in the area reserved for them. Granted, if the student section is full, overflow whereever in GA, but don't cop an attitude about it.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                I'll toss this out from personal experience. I can count on zero fingers the number of times opposing fans were a distraction while I was playing. Maybe I was in the minority, but when the helmet went on I had tunnel vision and my ears were focused on what was happening on the field. Cripes, Montana staged one of the biggest comebacks in history while I was playing and the only thing that broke my concentration was the damn cannon they shot off. Same thing for the Fargo Dome. Fans, never heard 'em.  Scream and yell all you want at the opposition, but if they're any good they ain't listening.

I'm guessing things haven't changed, at CAS section R, which is visiting side encompassing the 50 yard line has always been visiting team reserved seating.  And to say they can't tell students where to sit, OK, but they can tell you where you can't sit. Don't have a reserved ticket, tough, can't sit in reserved seating. Students always complain when someone with GA tickets tries to sit in the designated student section, and staff has always done their best to keep the student section reserved for students. So don't complain when someone gets a little riled when students aren't in the area reserved for them. Granted, if the student section is full, overflow whereever in GA, but don't cop an attitude about it.
                Thanks I could not have said it better. In fact I have never had a SDSU helment on my skull so dont know what its about. Thanks for sharing. If we want to maximize revenue, we ought to sell the 50 yarders as reserve. Its a business thing. Not a prejudice against students. Even in the Barn, you could not sit in the section or even on the side of where  the score tables and opposing team sat as these were reserved seats. Keeping GA people and students out of these seats was usually a work study project for the football guys. Even with out a weight room equal to what we have now at Frost, our football guys were still big and not ones you wanted to argue with. So the students in the 1960's and later were also getting the same screw in that sense. Yes there was heckling back then but not always intimidating.

When a bunch of guys keep ringing their cowbells so that a basketball coach can not communicate with his team, and they have to move to mid court is just plain rude. Its not a matter of being nice, BUT IT IS SOMETHING THAT CAN COME BACK TO HAUNT US ON THE ROAD.

Comment

Im not really talking about heckling in football more so in other sports in indoor settings. Namely volleyball and basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                    [quote author=ringthebells link=1161883513/15#17 date=1161913695]How about the Jacks kick their arse on the field and the fans treat them with respect on and off the field.  It is ok to be loud in support for your team.  Do you really think your "heckling" gets to the opposition?  Do you think your comments scare them so they won't play well?  Get real.  Get loud supporting the Jacks and the combined noise just might be unnerving.  If you doubt this approach's affectiveness...see Nebraska.  They have a clear homefield advantage and a reputation for treating opposing teams with respect.
                    Obviously you didn't go to the volleyball game Friday night. :  The coaches and players for SDSU enjoy when we use personal information about the other teams when they come into frost to play.  Stop being nice old man.  You haven't been to other schools and see how they treat our players, so why baby visiting teams?
                    Nebraska sucks sorry to say.  Go to Boston College, North Carolina State and other east coast schools, they do research on the opposing teams players.  Even your beloved Nebraska harasses opposing teams with info they get off of facebook and myspace.  
                    I hate to say it but you got the lazy fan mentality of a lot of South Dakotans have.  They are content making a little noise and thats about all.  

Did I hear someone just say down in front please?  I think I'll stand out in the crowd.[/quote]

You will never hear me say down in front, but as soon as I hear anything beligerant or rude hollared I will tell you to shut the hell up. Noise is not the problem, fans thinking they can yell obsenities and making personal comments is the problem. Why is it all of a sudden "old man" like to cheer in a positive manner for your team and not be disrespectful to another? Whatever... do your research and be like every other school. In the meantime, I will be screaming for the Jacks and appreciating the competion on the field.
                    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

As far as the cow bells...grow up...that is unique and I sit closer to them than anyone else...it is obnoxious but effective. We all need to quit being so politicaly correct. Let the students be students just like we were...quit trying to sugar coat their last years of ignorance.

No disrespect meant towards anyone, but for crimaney sakes let the students be students. When it gets cross and dirty that is when when we need to start pulling in the reins.

Comment

I don't have any problems with any type of crowd noise, cowbells behind the bench, or anything else, as long as it remains a family friendly environment.

I do get a bit offended when curse words start flying. A lot of people like to bring their kids to games, they are the future Jackrabbits.

I was exposed to SDSU athletics at a very young age, and it has stuck with me my whole life. I just don't want our atmosphere to become like that at another state institution to the south.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I think this thread is rather "silly" to use a term my daughter loves. What started out as a thread about seating turned into a "if it's too loud, you're too old" thread. I think everyone who takes the time to post on this board is probably a quality SDSU supporter. I am a vocal supporter when I attend games. My dad is not. We both love SDSU.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
                            As far as the cow bells...grow up...that is unique and I sit closer to them than anyone else...it is obnoxious but effective.  We all need to quit being so politicaly correct.  Let the students be students just like we were...quit trying to sugar coat their last years of ignorance.

No disrespect meant towards anyone, but for crimaney sakes let the students be students.  When it gets cross and dirty that is when when we need to start pulling in the reins.
                            Its not that big of a deal, but when the Mid Con made their site visit, I believe more than one of the team members commented on how SDSU HPER made a special effort to make the visiting team comfortable and I believe Dr Oien has done this. Making noise behind the bench probably is not part of  this effort but I can say that I have been to every NCC school back in D2 and our students and crowd were very respectable towards their opponents or at least we have been up to this current thing. I know Students have paid their student fees and its part of their event too, but I dont go to games to be rude to anyone.  To me its about image and class, and these guys behind the bench are in my opinion are doing harm. If all of Frost would drown out the commericals and PA guy, it would be a much different and I would not have a problem with that. We are going to have to learn how to deal with that when UND gets back on our schedule and we go to the Alerus. If we are 3-0 in the Great West on Nov 18th I would expect the FargoDome to be rocking.

Comment

Working...
                            X