• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where were you in 1962?

Could to!

Comment

My dad was a senior at State and my mom was there too as a freshman. GO STATE GO!!

Comment

Well this one has finally brought me out of several years of lurking.

I was a high school senior in 1962. Saw my first football game: SDSC (for one more year) v. Arkansas State. (was this the inaugeral game for CAS?-- guess I should check before posting). Think ASU was the Indians in those pre-politically correct years. Remember their coach's name was King Block. Remember Ralph Ginn pacing back and forth on the sidelines carrying a clip board.

Ginn had one more good year (my freshman year), then all hell broke lose and they were crappy until I graduated. Always figured he couldn't handle platoon football. Think 1963 was the last year people had to play both ways (in NCAA, not NAIA which already platooned.)

There's reference in another thread to a victory over Colorado State. Think this was Colorado State College (later UNC and a real weak program). I think they played both CSC and CSU in one year. NDSU started climbing up the power ratings about the time that SDSU was fading. In the early sixties Hobo Day's always alternated between North Dakota and South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled Jack
          Well this one has finally brought me out of several years of lurking.

I was a high school senior in 1962.  Saw my first football game: SDSC (for one more year) v. Arkansas State.  (was this the inaugeral game for CAS?-- guess I should check before posting).  Think ASU was the Indians in those pre-politically correct years.  Remember their coach's name was King Block.  Remember Ralph Ginn pacing back and forth on the sidelines carrying a clip board.

Ginn had one more good year (my freshman year), then all hell broke lose and they were crappy until I graduated.  Always figured he couldn't handle platoon football.  Think 1963 was the last year people had to play both ways (in NCAA, not NAIA which already platooned.)

There's reference in another thread to a victory over Colorado State.  Think this was Colorado State College (later UNC and a real weak program).  I think they played both CSC and CSU in one year.  NDSU started climbing up the power ratings about the time that SDSU was fading.  In the early sixties Hobo Day's always alternated between North Dakota and South Dakota.  
          Grizzled Jack:

Your takes are correct. I too remember the opening game in 1962. It was Arkansas State, from Jonesboro now D1A. Coach Conrad one of Ralph Ginn's successors left SDSU after two years for Arkansas State and had a great deal of success at Arkansas State and helped build a staduim much larger than CAS. Although I was just a fan, I do recall seeing big changes in football about that time such as platooning football which I recall as the term for a separate Offense and Defense unit instead of playing both ways. Ralph was in his 60's so it no doubt was hard to adapt to after being on top of the NCC since he took over in1949. I believe we had 6 or 7 NCC titled in that time frame.

SDSU did not want to or did not  have the funds to match NDSU in the building  up of a football program that started in 1963. Bob Danielsen, who got fired at NDSU at the end of 1962, after going 0-10 had been Ralph Ginn's top assistant before being hired in 1958 at NDSU. Danialsen was a very classy guy and I went to school with one of his daughters since the sixth grade and the daughter was very proud of her Dad.  When you dont have the funds to recruit, you dont have much for results. As far as coaching that was not the problem at NDSU before 1963, it was about being underfunded.

I think a successful program starts with the President of the institution and that's what happened up in NDSU so I have read. They got a new president in 1962 who made a commitment to winning. Also NDSU was discouraged people and fans from asking Fargo businessmen for money prior to 1962. Thats when the Teammakers were born and the rest his history. NDSU president prior to 1962 was our biggest help in retrospect as he helped SDSU, UNI and UND dominated the NCC.

Comment

Further early sixties memories. USD at that time was coached by someone named Boot Stewart, who, if I remember correctly ran such an inept program that the most popular cheer at Vermillion was F*** You, Boot.

Their quarterback was a guy by the name of Bruce Smebaken, who may have had a decent skill set but was so underprotected that he almost suffered from post traumatic stress disorder. Remember coming up behind him in a bar at the Days of Seventy-Six in 1964 and he whirled and almost clubbed me. Eyes looked like some kind of a deer in the headlights.

USD in those days actually had close games with the likes of St. Marys of the Plains, KS.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
              My Dad was a Soph. at State.

Go State!  
              My Mom and Dad were both at NDSU (NDAC) and Mom was at the game in the Gold Star Marching Band.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                My Dad was a Soph. at State.

Go State!  
                Ok, I talked to my Mom and got an update. In 1962 my Dad was a Jr. and my mom was a Freshmen at SDSU.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                X