• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dakota Marker and GWFC title game

N.D., S.D. senators bet on football game
    By staff reports
    PUBLISHED: November 16, 2006

Put aside, for a moment, military budgets, Medicare and Washington partisanship.

U.S. Sens. Kent Conrad and Byron Dorgan of North Dakota are betting South Dakota Sens. Tim Johnson and John Thune on pressing matters at home: a Division 1-AA football game between 15th-ranked South Dakota State (7-3) and No. 3 North Dakota State (9-1) Saturday in Fargo.

Winner of the 6 p.m. game – the 93rd match-up between the two state schools – claims the so-called “Dakota Marker,” a trophy modeled after one of the original monuments that marked the border between the neighboring states.

Conrad and Dorgan, of course, are betting on the Bison and have put up two cases of Rhubarb wine from their state’s Maple River Winery in Casselton. Johnson and Thune wagered two drums of ice cream from SDSU’s dairy bar in Brookings.

For the record: North Dakota State won last year’s game 41-17.
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/61116031

Comment

Nice to see our Senators have come to their senses. If you live in the SF area, you would understand how sickening it is to see their faces on the USD ads all over town. I guess even USD grads have come to over to our side....or maybe it's just a nice publicity stunt. Either way, I'm cool with it.

Comment

USD can have their billboards talking about how they are 2 for 2 with US Senators. When was the last time you heard of US senators betting on a USD-II football game?

Comment

Honestly could care less what are two USD Senators are betting on the game!

What does SDSU Governor Rounds have riding on this bad boy?

I still am in utter disbelief I am not going to be at the game!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

isn't betting on college sports illegal.

somebody contact the senate ethics committee

Comment

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that the ND delegation is betting booze on the game! LOL
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthDakotaBison
                isn't betting on college sports illegal.

somebody contact the senate ethics committee  

This would be fairly mild compared to a lot of the unethical happenings in D.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Statebasketballfan
                  [quote author=jackmd link=1163285596/15#28 date=1163532020][quote author=JACKGUYII link=1163285596/15#27 date=1163531332] The arrogance and lack of respect for the Jacks by the Bison faithful is at a new level. I just hope we are competitive and play our best and if that's good enough to win so be it! I like our nucleous and predict the talent gap will continue to narrow.
                  I would just temper this by saying "some of the Bison faithful".  Not that they can't defend themselves for being arrogant.  The lack of respect can be corrected on the field and off.  Lets get things started this weekend.[/quote]

I have to agree with Jackguy on this.  Just reading through sites for the Bison faithful are is enough to make you sick.  On McFeely's blog, there is a bison fan saying that he would take the Bison over Ohio State.  He seriously thinks that NDSU would defeat OSU.  And if you read the stuff leading up to their basketball game against Minnesota last night... you would think that the gophers just pulled the upset of the year by beating NDSU.  Most of the fans, at least on these message boards put the NDSU teams about three levels higher than what they are in reality.  I'm not saying they don't have a good team.  But when comparisons to the Big 10 start coming in, I think they've gone a little too far.  [/quote]

I personally haven't read such posts but I take your word for it that they're out there. Obviously posted by some overzealous and, dare I say, delusional Bison fans. 99.99999999% of Bison fans do not compare ourselves to the Big 10 and only a complete idiot would think we could hang with Ohio State for the first 3 minutes of the game. Yes, the Bison have a very powerful team this year and yes, fans are excited. We haven't felt this good since the 80's-early 90's :-[. All that other blowhard crap is just that: crap. The Bison are taking the Marker Game very seriously and so are most (knowledgeable) fans. Here's to seeing a large contingent of Jacks fans at the game and also here's to seeing one hell of a football game for all the marbles. I am pumped!

>GO BISON!!! >

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                    Frankly, I'm a little surprised that the ND delegation is betting booze on the game! LOL

What's so surprising about that? Everybody knows that us Nodaks are a bunch of drunken Norsemen ;D . We don't have a Corn Palace so there isn't much else to do up here

GO BISON!!!

Comment

I did manage to see both versions of the GWFC "Trophy" yesturday while helping out up in the promotions department. The one for SDSU looks very nice. The bus leaves in less than 45 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                      X