Signing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Signing Day

I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that in the press release they have slotted the recruits where they think they will fit into the team. When you read Dominique's "stuff" it sure looks like we signed a RB to me.

Dominique Clare, 6-1, 215, running back, Delano, Minn.;

Clare posted back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons at Delano High School, earning all-Wright County Conference honors both times. As a senior, he tallied 1,165 yards and scored 12 touchdowns, while also catching six passes for 198 yards and two TDs. A standout in track, he holds the second-fastest 100-meter dash time in school history. Clare, who is undecided about his college major, also competes in basketball.

Compare that to Jim Ebke who was named Nebraska Gatorade Player of the Year while quarterbacking Lincoln East High School but is listed at LB.

Jim Ebke (pronounced EBB-ke), 6-1, 190, linebacker, Lincoln, Neb.;

Ebke was the most decorated player in the state of Nebraska during the 2006 season, earning state Gatorade Player of the Year honors while quarterbacking Lincoln East High School to the state quarterfinals. Under the direction of coach John Gingery, Ebke was honored as the Super-State Honorary Captain and Offensive Player of the Year by the Lincoln Journal Star and Omaha World-Herald after setting eight school records and leading Class A in total offense with 1,225 yards passing and 1,549 yards rushing while accounting for 31 touchdowns. Defensively, he made 66 tackles and intercepted two passes. In addition, he has been named to the all-state basketball honorable mention squad two times and has also competed in track and field and baseball at the varsity level. An academic all-state selection in three sports, Ebke plans to major in pre-dentistry.

Either way, I like our class and am looking forward to Jackrabbit Football season! 8-)

Go State!

Comment

South Dakota State University Football Signees: Part I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pky7Z_8O64c

South Dakota State University Football Signees: Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZNRc72oLw

Go State!

Comment

Thanks for the links 89.  It always impresses me when coaches talk about the importance of student as part of the phrase student athlete.  It has worked well for AJ and it appears to be working well for Stig too.

I've heard SDSU Vice President Carol Peterson talk very proudly about the academic success of SDSU athletes and cite numbers regarding graduation rates.

Congrats to the entire football coaching staff on keeping these priorities at the front of recruiting.

Comment

Well, KELO covered USF and the NAIA games and then mentioned Augie and USD as well as listing their in-state recruits. Even mentioned that Coach Ed thinks he signed a number of recruits because of the move to DI. Then they mentioned SDSU's signees but didn't list names of SD recruits or describe highlights.

If you support SDSU you should never watch KELO-TV, especially the news. Pitiful to say the least. I hadn't watched in sometime but happened to be flipping the channels after UNC beat Duke.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

What about when SDSU games are being aired on KELO next year? It'll be kind of hard to ignore them.

If SDSU games are being shown on KELO, I hope that it will be a complete 180 next year with SDSU being the focus and USD being an afterthought.......

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
              Well, KELO covered USF and the NAIA games and then mentioned Augie and USD as well as listing their in-state recruits.  Even mentioned that Coach Ed thinks he signed a number of recruits because of the move to DI.  Then they mentioned SDSU's signees but didn't list names of SD recruits or describe highlights.

If you support SDSU you should never watch KELO-TV, especially the news.  Pitiful to say the least.  I hadn't watched in sometime but happened to be flipping the channels after UNC beat Duke.
              The 6:00 sports on KELO listed Steffen, Iverson, and Kirwan.

Comment

Terry comes through with an awesome blog reviewing the what has happened today and gets a little in depth with the recruits futures. Keep up the good work Terry [smiley=beer.gif]
                http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sp....html#comments
                Because I’m slipping into a pizza-induced coma, here are some leftovers from signing day served up in random order:

SDSU signed two South Dakotans and accepted one as a non-scholarship player. Look for such low numbers to continue. From the Argus Leader Elite 45 team, three signed with USD, two with SDSU and one with NDSU. In other words, there were six Division I scholarship seniors in the state this fall. (Or maybe seven, but Dale Moss signed to play basketball instead.) The Jacks try to get the best in the state, formulating a top 50 list, but need to go out of state and shouldn’t be required to explain themselves for doing so. (Not that they have been; I’m just saying.’)

Comment

Terry continues to impress. This is good stuff and something we've never had in the past. If you ever see Terry in person and like his efforts covering SDSU, stop him and thank him for the good coverage.

Comment

Yet another article from Terry:

Impressed by success
                    SDSU credits record, playoff status with recruits

By Terry Vandrovec
                    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                    Published: February 8, 2007
                    Since all 17 scholarship recipients will likely redshirt, it could be five years before anybody knows for certain how South Dakota State fared on national signing day. But based on the competition it encountered, the program is confident that it targeted the right type of players.

"You're known by the company you keep," Jackrabbits assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator Luke Meadows said Wednesday.

More so than with its first three recruiting classes at the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision level, SDSU butted heads with - and in some cases beat - Bowl Championship Subdivision programs.

Coach John Stiegelmeier estimated the school landed four or five players that had offers, made visits or were invited to walk-on at places such as Nebraska, Iowa, Wyoming, Navy and Buffalo. In previous seasons, Stiegelmeier said the number is usually one.

(read more...)
                    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...702080346/1002

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                      What about when SDSU games are being aired on KELO next year? It'll be kind of hard to ignore them.

If SDSU games are being shown on KELO, I hope that it will be a complete 180 next year with SDSU being the focus and USD being an afterthought.......
                      Good points. I was a little disappointed with KELO last night, as I have been each time I catch the 10:00 news. I'm never home in time to watch the 6:00 version. Its petty and immature on my part but we all have flaws.

As for Terry and the media/SID at SDSU, I know more about the players on the teams at SDSU than I ever did as a student. Its great.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I find it interesting that not only did SDSU sign three from Texas, but so did NDSU. I think both UND and USD have signed one each. That makes a total of 8 people from Texas for the Dakota schools. Believe me people out of the area have a hard time telling North from South Dakota and of course the capital of South Dakota always gets that French pronouncation instead of the Northern European one that the citizenary has adopted. Now with four schools from the Dakotas recruiting in Texas I would expect for those folks down in Texas to get all mixed up. Its not surprising that two recruits thought to be SDSU recruits ended up on USD list. As was pointed out, both recruits appeared to be too small and probably not on SDSU list but some school in South Dakota was recruiting them.

By and large SDSU has a very impressive group. We hope the warmer climate kids adapt and finish at SDSU with a degree in hand and the world to beat 5 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                          Terry comes through with an awesome blog reviewing the what has happened today and gets a little in depth with the recruits futures. Keep up the good work Terry
                          Ditto. It's great to read some real meat, compared with the mostly jr. highish babbling in the Argus blogs for those other schools. Terry has twice as many posts as any of the others and 1,000 times the information.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                            Yet another article from Terry:

Impressed by success
                            SDSU credits record, playoff status with recruits

By Terry Vandrovec
                            tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                            Published: February 8, 2007
                            Since all 17 scholarship recipients will likely redshirt, it could be five years before anybody knows for certain how South Dakota State fared on national signing day. But based on the competition it encountered, the program is confident that it targeted the right type of players.

"You're known by the company you keep," Jackrabbits assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator Luke Meadows said Wednesday.

More so than with its first three recruiting classes at the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision level, SDSU butted heads with - and in some cases beat - Bowl Championship Subdivision programs.

Coach John Stiegelmeier estimated the school landed four or five players that had offers, made visits or were invited to walk-on at places such as Nebraska, Iowa, Wyoming, Navy and Buffalo. In previous seasons, Stiegelmeier said the number is usually one.

(read more...)
                            http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...702080346/1002

Coach Meadows sounds like one heck of a find for the Jacks football coaching staff.  How long has he been with SDSU??

Just by the way he quotes in Terry's blog makes me think we've got a good one there and a DI mindset all the way!

This quote says a lot to me:
                            "Meadows is the recruiting coordinator and he compared the football program’s push to land more I-A types to what the women’s basketall program has done in aiming for the WNIT. Meadows said that if at any time during the recruiting process a player questions his ability to play at the FCS level, he eliminates himself from the list." -Coach Meadows

Very exciting time for SDSU football.  Hopefully there is even more good news come the end of Feb.!!!!

Go Jacks!!

SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Luke is a great guy, I always enjoy talking to him.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...f/MeadowsLuke/

. . . A Hot Springs native, Meadows began his coaching career as an undergraduate student at SDSU. After earning a bachelor's degree in 1999, he continued on as a graduate assistant with the Jackrabbits during the 1999 and 2000 seasons, coaching the running backs. He then spent a season as offensive line coach at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa, before returning to SDSU in July 2002. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Luke's as solid as they come.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X