Gateway: NDSU won’t pay travel subsidies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway: NDSU won’t pay travel subsidies

NDSU’s reluctance to help pay travel costs, however, wouldn’t stop the Gateway from divvying part of an initiation fee toward travel, Taylor said. The amount of the fee hasn’t been specified but Taylor said he wouldn’t be surprised if it was in the neighborhood of the $250,000 NDSU is obligated to pay the Mid-Continent Conference.
    Wouldn't the entrance fee have been announced (at least to the administrators) long before now? Will they come up with whatever figure they feel like? Perhaps the numbers willl be different......NDSU may have to pay a premium because they're too good for Indiana State and have too nice of a facility......or SDSU may have to cough up extra since a charter flight can't land in Brookings.

Seriously, this article primarily serves the purpose of establishing "spin" IF the xDSUs do not join the Gateway. People can say "the Gateway changed the rules in the middle of the game" or something to that extent if things were to turn sour............

Don't forget the cost of chartering buses when figuring out the cost of a trip, even if it's just a few blocks from the airport to the stadium or 50 miles from SF to Brookings. Securing buses (and drivers) for exclusive team use over the course of two (or three) days is the major expense of ground transportation. Mileage, while a cost, isn't really that much of a factor......

Comment

My guess is that exact numbers were not given, if any were used at all. The actual number will be announced only if we get in.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I've heard the 100k figure a few different times in the past when talking about chartered flights to California, Utah, Montana, etc. Gotta remember there are alot more people on the trip than the 50 players. You have coaches, trainers, equipment managers, equipment, etc.. Then also the cost of per diem for all the players coaches and a possible overnight stay (yeah you have that too with bus trips, but its still in addition to airfare). I'm guessing the number for a chartered trip is much closer to 100k than it is to 50k for a long distance football game.
        Very well may be. I don't have the official figures, it would be interesting to see a line item bill for a trip. Instead of the, well I've heard from this guy or that and he may or may not be a real solid source. If it is closer to 100k than an entrance fee to the Gateway of possibly and approximately 250k, despite being only football is even more understandable compared to the same fee to get into the Mid-Con for all sports.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
          I'm sure that's right. Look at the public statements. Dr. Oien notes that payments are a normal part of the process. NDSU AD the next day says they won't pay. Looks to me like SDSU and NDSU are working strategically to stake out an advantageous position in the negotiations. This is business, after all. I certainly wasn't expecting some sort of group hug at the meetings this week. They'll work it out, and if it makes sense for NDSU/SDSU and for the Gateway, it'll happen. If not, we still have a conference that will soon be growing and adding some more good competition.
          One could take all this a different way, NDSU and SDSU are not exactly on the same page as to what each school is willing to do. Might be a sign of some philosophical differences. Maybe a parting of the minds and to each his own.
          I'm told that is not the case at all. My sense is that we'll hear good news in March.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
          X