SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

I think what has been lost in all this conference talk is....why would the GWFC add UxD's when a team needs 7 wins against counters to make the playoffs? I'm sure teams in that conference will not be excited to play against two teams that have essentially no upside in playing? Food for thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper
      I think what has been lost in all this conference talk is....why would the GWFC add UxD's when a team needs 7 wins against counters to make the playoffs?  I'm sure teams in that conference will not be excited to play against two teams that have essentially no upside in playing?  Food for thought...
      Thats why the GWFC isn't adding them until 2009 rather than 2008.  In 2008 they wont be counters but in 2009 they will.  Similar to what the SLC did with UCA.  Last year they were an independant, but this year they will join the conference.  
      I know that the sioux fans are blaming us as the reason they aren't going to be added in 2008, but I really think that Cal Poly was the real advocate for the later admission date due to what happened to them in 2004 with the xDSU's.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBison
        [quote author=Thumper link=1161728686/135#135 date=1171731330]I think what has been lost in all this conference talk is....why would the GWFC add UxD's when a team needs 7 wins against counters to make the playoffs?  I'm sure teams in that conference will not be excited to play against two teams that have essentially no upside in playing?  Food for thought...
        Thats why the GWFC isn't adding them until 2009 rather than 2008.  In 2008 they wont be counters but in 2009 they will.  Similar to what the SLC did with UCA.  Last year they were an independant, but this year they will join the conference.  
        I know that the sioux fans are blaming us as the reason they aren't going to be added in 2008, but I really think that Cal Poly was the real advocate for the later admission date due to what happened to them in 2004 with the xDSU's.[/quote]

I'm sure we will hear the same argument from our neighbors to the South.

Comment

Apparently Jeff Kolpack(NDSU beat writer) talked to all the AD's and he said things point to a 5-2 vote in favor right now with SIU and Missouri State voting no. He also reportedly said Indiana State is a very shakey yes. The Indiana State AD did say his gut feeling was that expansion to the Dakota's will happen but I guess right now its no sure thing, Monday will be an interesting day.

Comment

I've also heard through the grapevine that the votes are there but the bigger question is whether there will even be a vote on Monday. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hopefully we hear some positive news early next week.

Comment

http://www.startribune.com/513/story/1006837.html

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                I've also heard through the grapevine that the votes are there but the bigger question is whether there will even be a vote on Monday. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hopefully we hear some positive news early next week.
                GWFC is good. Gateway is better. (Automatic bid vs. no automatic bid, better scheduling, better travel in the Gateway vs. the GWFC.) Both are good conferences to be in, though.

If we get a Gateway invite, tomorrow or this summer, it's great news. However, the Great West is a good place to be, too.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Agreed. It is really a no lose situation for us.

Gateway Pros
                  1. Autobid
                  2. It will put some separation between our program and the UXDs with us being in the best conference in the nation and them being in a five team league
                  3. It will give us a working relationship with essentially the Missouri Valley's football conference. The MVC may be an option long term (10-20 years). Let's get the Mid-Con stabilized first though.

Great West Pros
                  1. We are already used to the teams in the Great West and have proven that we can beat them.
                  2. With the addition of the UXDs and possibly a couple more western schools we will have a nine team league.
                  3. With 4 Dakota schools, a Utah school and 4 California schools travel would probably be better than Gateway. It will be 2-3 flights a year in GWFC. The Gateway will probably be 3 flights a year with only UNI and NDSU being bus trips.
                  4. Re-establish rivalries with UXDs. Wait a minute that would make the Gateway a pro.

I say Gateway all the way. Let's bury the UXDs. Hopefully Gene and Fred can talk some sense into all of the presidents on Monday and we can get this conference situation settled.
                  Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/a...rticleid=83724

Great article.

The Gateway’s window for expanding to NDSU and SDSU is likely small since the Great West would be almost a similar size as the Gateway when the two other Dakota teams begin their Division I status. Also, the talk of adding an existing FSC school would make their automatic bid possible in the near future. It would be doubtful that the champion of the Great West, the GPI’s best since the league’s inception, would be left out of the playoffs once all schools are playoff eligible.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Story on Gateway meeting in the Fargo Forum:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...Jeff%20Kolpack

Comment

Here's hoping to recieve great News by tomorrow evening.

Comment

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs...68/1002/SPORTS

"I am concerned about the (travel) distance. We have to be concerned about their level because we are going to be recruiting against them. They have done a very good job as far as I can tell."

From Missouri State.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                            http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070218/SPORTS0405/702180368/1002/SPORTS

"I am concerned about the (travel) distance. We have to be concerned about their level because we are going to be recruiting against them. They have done a very good job as far as I can tell."

From Missouri State.
                            Panzies ;D

Comment

Well the AD and Head football coach must really set the tone down there.

Comment

Missouri State fan here, I have no clue what are adminstration is doing. I have heard from some people that they want to do the K-State model to get a ton of wins to help get the support up. Personally I want the Dakotas in bc of the potential they bring.

Comment

Working...
                                X