• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Non Conference Games

Iowa-Iowa State.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

As long as the NCAA restricts I-AA/FCS teams to 11 games, five home games will be the rule for SDSU since we'll usually have one money game and likely a bunch of home-and-home agreements with quality FCS teams like the California schools, Georgia Southern, Southland schools, Delaware, etc. There is virtually no room for USD on our schedule until either 1) the NCAA allows FCS schools the option of playing 12 games, 2) the Gateway adds USD (a remote possibility), 3) the state of SD dictates that SDSU and USD will play each other (unlikely, but probably the most feasible option for those who want to see a SDSU-USD tilt).

Iowa-Iowa State is one non-conference rivalry that was restarted after a long absence.

There is one other problem with restarting the SDSU-USD rivalry: The DakotaDome would not be large enough to accomodate the demand that everyone is expecting (15,000+). Neither is Howard Wood in Sioux Falls. If SDSU can consistently draw 12-15K to its games (and perhaps more for NDSU), it would be controversial to hold the game in a facility that can only fit 9-10K (and that is when the fire marshal is away).

In other words, the gate at the DakotaDome would probably not be large enough to meet the fiscal demands of SDSU....and I'm sure USD would not want to open every season with a trip to Brookings........

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
        USC vs. Notre Dame

Many Notre DAme - they aren't in a conference though.

Florida/Florida state
        Iowa-Iowa State
        Clemson-South Carolina
        UC Davis-Sac State

to add a few more. It is possible, but I think ND State will be our #1 rival because that game will be later in the season than a potential USD-SDSU game.
        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I think that USD and UND will someday be members of the Gateway. It will be a combination of Indiana State dropping out and Missouri State and Youngstown State leaving the Gateway. It is a few years out, but it may happen in the next 5 years. There is no reason to play them unless they are in the same conference.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
            I think that USD and UND will someday be members of the Gateway. It will be a combination of Indiana State dropping out and Missouri State and Youngstown State leaving the Gateway. It is a few years out, but it may happen in the next 5 years. There is no reason to play them unless they are in the same conference.
            I think the other Gateway members would be reluctant to add UND and USD if neither us nor NDSU were scheduling them.......

Comment

I think The "U's" have a long ways to go before the Gateway or Mid-Con gives them the time of day they desperately desire and want. Plus they need to learn humility and class before anyone will want them. Watching Cal Poly in the Big West final I think we should play them in basketball more. But I do see at least one California team on the schedule after we leave the Great West for Years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                I think The "U's" have a long ways to go before the Gateway or Mid-Con gives them the time of day they desperately desire and want. Plus they need to learn humility and class before anyone will want them. Watching Cal Poly in the Big West final I think we should play them in basketball more. But I do see at least one California team on the schedule after we leave the Great West for Years to come.
                You hit it right on the head, BHM, about the UxDs. They are in no position to even think about joining the Mid-Con or the Gateway for at least four years. In addition, they aren't the only schools that will be looking to join those conferences (particularly if any of the other NCC schools get rejected by the NSIC-a long shot, but still a possibility).

I hope that we'll be able to have UC-Davis and Cal Poly as a semi-regular fixture on our schedule for quite some time........

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                  As long as the NCAA restricts I-AA/FCS teams to 11 games, five home games will be the rule for SDSU since we'll usually have one money game and likely a bunch of home-and-home agreements with quality FCS teams like the California schools, Georgia Southern, Southland schools, Delaware, etc. There is virtually no room for USD on our schedule until either 1) the NCAA allows FCS schools the option of playing 12 games, 2) the Gateway adds USD (a remote possibility), 3) the state of SD dictates that SDSU and USD will play each other (unlikely, but probably the most feasible option for those who want to see a SDSU-USD tilt).

Iowa-Iowa State is one non-conference rivalry that was restarted after a long absence.

There is one other problem with restarting the SDSU-USD rivalry: The DakotaDome would not be large enough to accomodate the demand that everyone is expecting (15,000+). Neither is Howard Wood in Sioux Falls. If SDSU can consistently draw 12-15K to its games (and perhaps more for NDSU), it would be controversial to hold the game in a facility that can only fit 9-10K (and that is when the fire marshal is away).

In other words, the gate at the DakotaDome would probably not be large enough to meet the fiscal demands of SDSU....and I'm sure USD would not want to open every season with a trip to Brookings........
                  The only way I see us playing USD is if they: establish a solid program, the Gateway loses some members, and then calls upon the UXD's to join.  

I think most of us on this board understand the reasons why it will be difficult to schedule USD for a non-conference football game.  

But, the normal Joe Schmo from smalltown, SD, and many of the SF media don't understand all the complexities.  These people don't spend their time researching the teams or pay much attention to FCS football.

These uninformed people just want to go back to the old days and see the rivalary game with USD.   I bet a majority of  fans you run into at a State game probably aren't going to be able to name the other 8 members of the Gateway.   It doesn't make them stupid or lazy, they just don't have the same pasion for the Jackrabbits like many of us on this board.  

I bet Stu and Mick have done little to no research about either of the conferences we are about to join. After all they're journalists why should they waste their time doing research.  Thank God for Terry V., you don't see him writing op-eds calling for a USD game.

It seems like the more a person is educated about the DI situation, the more they understand why the USD game won't be taking place anytime soon.

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

This is why you don't schedule USD... What do we have to gain by it??? We have good attendence we play good teams and the teams we play we have something to gain by beating them.. If we play and beat USD its o ya big deal you've been D-1 longer if you loose its you suck... Until there well esttablished I see no reason to schedule USD.

Comment

Working...
                    X