Gateway Announcement!  

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway Announcement!  

The good news is that in reality we may not have to play usd or und at all. Best news I've had all day. Our 3 OOC games will be a money game, and then games with SUU and the California schools.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
      255K entry fee
      8 year commitment
      500K early withdraw penalty

Craig talking about what a great deal it is, but have to add UND/USD in the conference to make it great. >
      He said the same thing about the Mid-Con, that if they were smart at all they'd take UND and USD too.  Terry V. was on the show a couple weeks ago and tried to talk some sense into Craig and Bob about how things in the real world work, but apparently nothing sunk in with Craig.

I would be extremely surprised if anyone was added to the Gateway Conference without multiple schools leaving.

The future just got even more clouded for USD and UND, they could be in a pickle for football scheduling for a long time.  Not only does this take two conference games away from them if they join the GWFC, but it also takes two non-conference games off the schedules of all the existing teams in the Gateway, its going to be even tougher for them to schedule games than it was for us.

Comment

I heard that show also. Terry laid out all the reasons why it would be bad for Mid-Con or Gateway until they are almost done with the transition, and Craig and Bob said "... chirp ... chirp ... chirp"

(sound of crickets in the background.)

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Here is the official announcement.

http://www.gobison.com/pdf1/66666.pd...mp;SPSID=11850

If you look at page 5, it shows a mileage chart between schools.

Go State!!! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
            The good news is that in reality we may not have to play usd or und at all. Best news I've had all day. Our 3 OOC games will be a money game, and then games with SUU and the California schools.
            I would expect a focus would be made to play against Texas/Southland teams also. That area has been a recruiting focus also.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

SDSU and Western Illinois only schools in the Gateway with Natural Grass.

Comment

Caught Stig on WNAX at about 4:30 or whatever and will try and remember things correctly. (if i got something wrong, I'm sure someone else will correct it)

Gateway is a premier league and this will help with recruiting as everyone in the knows them.

Scheduling will be so much easier, only have a few out of conference games each year to line up.

The schedule will be tougher - they are all very good teams, but there are more of them.

Recruiting will now have a little bit different flavor to it as more than just one conference opponent located in some of the prime recruiting areas, but they don't expect big changes in how they approach it.

They are very excited about it, but want to keep the focus on winning the GWFC championship in their last year. While they start the year with three Gateway teams, they are still in the GWFC and they want to go out on top.

Said the othe GWFC coaches are somewhat jealous of them getting into autobid conference. Wished them the best of luck in the future. Said Davis and Poly, particularly Davis, are looking at 1A, but they have been since GWFC formed, so not sure if this will affect their decision in anyway.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                  SDSU and Western Illinois only schools in the Gateway with Natural Grass.
                  I think we may need to create a trophy for that game......perhaps a rake or a golden lawnmower........

Seriously, I am looking forward to developing a rivalry with Western Illinois since they're the only school besides NDSU that we will play in all sports on a regualr basis.

Comment

This is a great move and like you said, the recruiting will change. Talked with a recruiter a few weeks ago and the two questions heard most from the recruits is "who do you play?" and "can you win?". The teams in the Gateway will give the name recognition and now we need to prove that we can win, and I think we can. The bits I heard on WNAX and from Stig is that the Gateway had 4 teams in the top 25 and then with the addition of xDSU's, there are six, so it will be a very reputable conference and only strengthened with the addition of the xDSU's. We will be going against some conference schools now for recruiting, especially in the KC area.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                      [quote author=JACKGUYII link=1173237792/15#19 date=1173302627]Culhane is giving the State U's cudos over on 1570 The Ticket. He thinks this might make it harder to restablish the rivalary with USD in Football.
                      Good for him.  I like his show, to bad he drinks the USD koolaid or it would be an even better program.  The guy is in tune to college athletics throughout the region.  

Anyone able to listen to Stig please post some comments.  I hope to catch at least part of it.[/quote]

Hey MD, usually agree with you, but you are going to have to walk this road alone. In regards to Culhane, wish he could just once admit that USD did not do something perfect. Glad to hear he did think we did OK this time. Haven't been listening to him lately, thank goodness for satellite radio.

Comment

Here's the links to SDSU's news conference on the Gateway announcement:

Part I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeJ6CiBjFos

Part II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVDskKnqwzo
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life
                          [quote author=jackmd link=1173237792/15#20 date=1173302767][quote author=JACKGUYII link=1173237792/15#19 date=1173302627]Culhane is giving the State U's cudos over on 1570 The Ticket. He thinks this might make it harder to restablish the rivalary with USD in Football.
                          Good for him.  I like his show, to bad he drinks the USD koolaid or it would be an even better program.  The guy is in tune to college athletics throughout the region.  

Anyone able to listen to Stig please post some comments.  I hope to catch at least part of it.[/quote]

Hey MD, usually agree with you, but you are going to have to walk this road alone. In regards to Culhane, wish he could just once admit that USD did not do something perfect. Glad to hear he did think we did OK this time. Haven't been listening to him lately, thank goodness for satellite radio.[/quote]

i know Jeff, personally, and he is a great guy. he's just doing his job........

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                            [quote author=1bunnies link=1173237792/30#30 date=1173305211]The good news is that in reality we may not have to play usd or und at all. Best news I've had all day. Our 3 OOC games will be a money game, and then games with SUU and the California schools.
                            I would expect a focus would be made to play against Texas/Southland teams also.  That area has been a recruiting focus also.[/quote]

Agreed. We only have 3 OOC games. One money game against a BCS team leaves us only two games remaining. One at home, one on the road. It would be a mistake to travel to California every year. I think we will be taking trips to Texas, Georgia, and maybe even New England. We need to get our name out there.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

http://www.mvc.org/football/audio/gf...PID=2899&D B_OEM_ID=7600

Audio conference call from Gateway. 20 minutes long.
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit
                                [quote author=Jack4Life link=1173237792/30#39 date=1173313635][quote author=jackmd link=1173237792/15#20 date=1173302767][quote author=JACKGUYII link=1173237792/15#19 date=1173302627]Culhane is giving the State U's cudos over on 1570 The Ticket. He thinks this might make it harder to restablish the rivalary with USD in Football.

Hey MD, usually agree with you, but you are going to have to walk this road alone. In regards to Culhane, wish he could just once admit that USD did not do something perfect. Glad to hear he did think we did OK this time. Haven't been listening to him lately, thank goodness for satellite radio.[/quote]

i know Jeff, personally, and he is a great guy.  he's just doing his job........
                                [/quote]

You're right, he does a good job, should have kept my thoughts to myself

Comment

Working...
                                X