This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pride won't play at November games?

I think one thing almost everyone agrees on is that we, the fans, want the Pride at all of the home football games. Even if they don't play as much when it's cold and nasty, it's still important to many of us that SDSU's marching band is in the stands.

As others have said, the band is a huge part of the whole college football atmosphere. (It occurs to me that one reason why post-Hobo Day attendance falls off might just be that in the past the Pride has not been at all of those late-season games. When they're not there, even if they don't take the field for a half-time performance, it just isn't the same experience.)

We love the Pride. We want them at all the home games, not because we're mean or don't understand how difficult it is to blow a trumpet in a 15-degree sleet storm. We get that. But the band is such an integral part of the entire game-day atmosphere that their absence leaves a huge hole in the entire experience for fans.

That's where I, personally, come from on this issue.

How about another out-of-the-box idea: the full Pride is 400+ members. Take 100 of them (volunteers, or make it an elite thing) and call them the Hardcore Pride (the name probably needs some work). These musicians would form the school's late-football-season band for home games. Their job would be to play Ring the Bells and The Yellow and Blue, and just be the rowdy spirited core of the student section for the late games. Make it something that they get some added benefit for to compensate for sitting out in the cold for four hours in a couple of November Saturdays --(I don't know what kind of benefit off-hand, that would need to be fleshed out). They wouldn't go out onto the field for half-time (unless they wanted to, of course).

Maybe the Hardcore Pride would also be SDSU's traveling band for any away football games for which SDSU decides to send our band to (at Fargo; playoff games).
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
      Posted by: sfsd
      I think your idea is a good one but not for the North Dakota State game.  It's THE rivalry game and there will be a good crowd there whether or not the weather is cold, The Pride plays, or if it isn't for the GWFC championship.  If you are going to promote an event like that, the $$$ would be better spent trying to make another game into a larger event.

My belief is that there is going to be a GREAT crowd at this game!  Football is definitely on the rise at SDSU and the fans are doing a much better job of supporting the team!

GREAT IDEA, out of the box sfsd, that's what is needed!

SUPERBUNNY
      The only thing is, you have to ask yourself how long is the NDSU game going to be "the" rivalry once the two SD schools start playing again? Why not make it a festival atmosphere now before the Jacks-Coyotes rivaly kicks up again? You have to keep fans coming to the NDSU game, so why not slap a Dakota Pride weekend tag on it now ... you get the band's name in it and honor the territorial days.

Seriously, why isn't anyone paying me to come up with this stuff? Micah can take this idea and run with it and just buy me some beers next time I come back in state.  

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        I think one thing almost everyone agrees on is that we, the fans, want the Pride at all of the home football games.  Even if they don't play as much when it's cold and nasty, it's still important to many of us that SDSU's marching band is in the stands.

As others have said, the band is a huge part of the whole college football atmosphere.  (It occurs to me that one reason why post-Hobo Day attendance falls off might just be that in the past the Pride has not been at all of those late-season games.  When they're not there, even if they don't take the field for a half-time performance, it just isn't the same experience.)  

We love the Pride.  We want them at all the home games, not because we're mean or don't understand how difficult it is to blow a trumpet in  a 15-degree sleet storm.  We get that.  But the band is such an integral part of the entire game-day atmosphere that their absence leaves a huge hole in the entire experience for fans.

How about another out-of-the-box idea:  the full Pride is 400+ members.  Take 100 of them (volunteers, or make it an elite thing) and call them the Hardcore Pride (the name probably needs some work).  These musicians would form the school's late-football-season band for home games.  Their job would be to play Ring the Bells and The Yellow and Blue, and just be the rowdy spirited core of the student section for the late games.  Make it something that they get some added benefit for to compensate for sitting out in the cold for four hours in a couple of November Saturdays --(I don't know what kind of benefit off-hand, that would need to be fleshed out).  They wouldn't go out onto the field for half-time (unless they wanted to, of course).

Maybe the Hardcore Pride would also be SDSU's traveling band for any away football games for which SDSU decides to send our band to (at Fargo; playoff games).

Great idea!!!!   [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=cool.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd
          The only thing is, you have to ask yourself how long is the NDSU game going to be "the" rivalry once the two SD schools start playing again?
          My guess is for a long time. Even after USD moves up they are more then likely going to be a non-conference game for us. There chances of getting into the Summit League are a ways down the road if ever, and their chances are slimmer still for getting into the Gateway Football Conference.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            [quote author=sfsd link=1179351991/60#61 date=1181152872]
            The only thing is, you have to ask yourself how long is the NDSU game going to be "the" rivalry once the two SD schools start playing again?
            My guess is for a long time.  Even after USD moves up they are more then likely going to be a non-conference game for us.  There chances of getting into the Summit League are a ways down the road if ever, and their chances are slimmer still for getting into the Gateway Football Conference.

Go State!  
            [/quote]

I agree with 89 I don't see USD as a consistent rivalary for a very long time. I think the NDSU rivalary has blossomed and is one of mutual respect. I agree the whole idea of meaningful games in November is a new concept. I think football at SDSU is a sleeping giant that woke up in the transition to the DIAA or FCS. The approach from everyone involved in the program should be we only have 5-6 home contests each year and lets make every game an event not to be missed and that includes some semblance of a band.

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd
              [quote author=SUPERBUNNY link=1179351991/45#58 date=1181149567]Posted by: sfsd
              I think your idea is a good one but not for the North Dakota State game.  It's THE rivalry game and there will be a good crowd there whether or not the weather is cold, The Pride plays, or if it isn't for the GWFC championship.  If you are going to promote an event like that, the $$$ would be better spent trying to make another game into a larger event.

My belief is that there is going to be a GREAT crowd at this game!  Football is definitely on the rise at SDSU and the fans are doing a much better job of supporting the team!

GREAT IDEA, out of the box sfsd, that's what is needed!

SUPERBUNNY
              The only thing is, you have to ask yourself how long is the NDSU game going to be "the" rivalry once the two SD schools start playing again? Why not make it a festival atmosphere now before the Jacks-Coyotes rivaly kicks up again? You have to keep fans coming to the NDSU game, so why not slap a Dakota Pride weekend tag on it now ... you get the band's name in it and honor the territorial days.

Seriously, why isn't anyone paying me to come up with this stuff? Micah can take this idea and run with it and just buy me some beers next time I come back in state.  
              [/quote]

I've moved on from USD, and really could care less if we play them anytime in the next 10 years.  

I enjoy the rivalry we have with NDSU alot more, less hatred, more respect, more enjoyable gameday experience. We've set some of the top attendance marks in school history for football the last couple of years, I really don't uderstand why people keep saying we should play them...

We are in a new all-sports conference this year, will join the best FCS football conference in the nation next year, and have auto-bids in all sports starting next year.  I'd much rather develop new rivalries with our future conference mates and play good mid-major non-conference games than have USD on the schedule.  That game is alot bigger benefit to the Coyotes than it would be for the Jacks.

Comment

Good discussion sfsd, but you have to remember: In the South especially, alot of guys take it as the next best thing to playing ball to be in the band, and for guys and girls everywhere it is sometimes tradition or an honor to be part of the band. SDSU does pretty d*** good for a 1AA school, band, and state. Just think, we can sometimes match the FB crowds NDSU draws in a small, rural community like Brookings, which only has 30,000 some residents with the students, (and some Sufu's who support State) compared to a city like Fargo, where population is close to or over 100,000. Not bad eh!
                Back in the good ole days, as dad tells me, the band halftime show was celebrated on tv. Full length performances were shown, where nowadays you might get a glimpse going to commercial break and maybe a couple of minutes in the biggest of bowl games. Pretty sad. FOX does the best job out of any networks I've seen, by the way. All I'm simply saying is dont try to compare 1A school bands to The Pride so much. On the other hand, I am raring to find out who the other two schools playing in the parade are come December!
                GO STATE!   -and lets bring the Dakota Marker back home! (Lindy's has us #10, right behind NDSU in the preseason polls, not that it matters too much, but woohoo anyways!)
                "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  I think one thing almost everyone agrees on is that we, the fans, want the Pride at all of the home football games.  Even if they don't play as much when it's cold and nasty, it's still important to many of us that SDSU's marching band is in the stands.

As others have said, the band is a huge part of the whole college football atmosphere.  (It occurs to me that one reason why post-Hobo Day attendance falls off might just be that in the past the Pride has not been at all of those late-season games.  When they're not there, even if they don't take the field for a half-time performance, it just isn't the same experience.)  

We love the Pride.  We want them at all the home games, not because we're mean or don't understand how difficult it is to blow a trumpet in  a 15-degree sleet storm.  We get that.  But the band is such an integral part of the entire game-day atmosphere that their absence leaves a huge hole in the entire experience for fans.

How about another out-of-the-box idea:  the full Pride is 400+ members.  Take 100 of them (volunteers, or make it an elite thing) and call them the Hardcore Pride (the name probably needs some work).  These musicians would form the school's late-football-season band for home games.  Their job would be to play Ring the Bells and The Yellow and Blue, and just be the rowdy spirited core of the student section for the late games.  Make it something that they get some added benefit for to compensate for sitting out in the cold for four hours in a couple of November Saturdays --(I don't know what kind of benefit off-hand, that would need to be fleshed out).  They wouldn't go out onto the field for half-time (unless they wanted to, of course).

That was a great post by Filbert.  It really puts things in a better perspective than the tone of much of this thread.  I like your Hardcore Pride (not sure if I like the name) concept.  It immediately reminded me of the very inspiring performance last season by the Cal Aggie Marching Band-Uh!  If you need a little reminder of it, recall the saxophone player in the wheelchair.  Even though that band was small and totally different that the pride, their performance definitely qualifies as THE pre-game highlight that day.

Here is their website

http://camb.ucdavis.edu/camb/index.php

I would love to see a group like this spring up at State.  There would be times when they might perform such as late games in November.  Look at the website and you will see that the UC Davis band has two looks, the formal uniform and the less formal one.  It might also perform at an occasional earlier in the season game.  A couple of examples are the opening weekend before the Pride has ample opportunity to polish the performance.  Another is that occasional schedule glitch that gives us 3 home games in a row or over 4 weeks.  Let the Hardcore group perform at halftime of the middle game (unless it is a big rivalry or homecoming game or something like that).

Well, enough rambling from one who has never been a part of the Pride and therefore doesn't have a clue.  However, I have been a serious fan of the Pride for 30 years.  I won't speak or write badly of them.  

Thanks to all past, present, and future members of the Pride!

Comment

West-River Jack said, in part: "It immediately reminded me of the very inspiring performance last season by the Cal Aggie Marching Band-Uh! ... Even though that band was small and totally different that the pride, their performance definitely qualifies as THE pre-game highlight that day."

I, too, was impressed by the Aggie Band-Uh! but wasn't that the game in which Whiplash (the Taco-John's cowboy monkey riding the dog) did a couple circuits on the field before the game? That was a scream! The Davis players had a good laugh, too (and then we took the smiles off their faces).

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Here we go again. The blind hatred for USD has clouded the hard core SDSU fans thinking into believing that USD will never be a rival to SDSU again. Do you think Iowa / Iowa St. does not think they are rivals simply because they aren't in the same conference? If they aren't rivals why do they play each other every year? Obviously SDSU / USD is a rivalry and will be again soon. Any time there is 2 instate schools they are rivals. Kansas / Kansas St.; Oklahoma / Oklahoma St; Texas / Texas A&M; Oregon / Oregon St.; Washington / Washington St. North Dakota / North Dakota St. South Dakota / South Dakota St. Don't try to tell me any of those schools don't think they are rivals with each other. The SDSU / NDSU rivalry is just a rivalry of convience until USD / UND become Division I.

Comment

This is I think the wrong thread for USD-SDSU rivalry talk . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1
                          Here we go again.  The blind hatred for USD has clouded the hard core SDSU fans thinking into believing that USD will never be a rival to SDSU again.  Do you think Iowa / Iowa St. does not think they are rivals simply because they aren't in the same conference?  If they aren't rivals why do they play each other every year?  Obviously SDSU / USD is a rivalry and will be again soon.  Any time there is 2 instate schools they are rivals.  Kansas / Kansas St.;  Oklahoma / Oklahoma St;  Texas / Texas A&M;  Oregon / Oregon St.;  Washington / Washington St.  North Dakota / North Dakota St.    South Dakota / South Dakota St.   Don't try to tell me any of those schools don't think they are rivals with each other.  The SDSU / NDSU rivalry is just a rivalry of convience until USD / UND become Division I.

Just to clarify, my point was that USD will not be "The" rival as long as they are not in our conference.  You use Iowa State vs. Iowa as an example.  Is Iowa State Iowa's biggest rival (or "the" rival)?  Then you list a bunch of schools that are in fact in the same conference so it would be a different situation that what SDSU and USD face in the near future.  Finally living in Big 12 country I can tell you that Kansas's biggest rival is in fact Missouri and that Oklahoma's biggest rival is Texas.  I never said that USD won't be a rival again once they move up to D-I, what I said is they won't replace NDSU as the rival if they are not in our conference.  Personally I take some offense to you chalking up my and other's post to "blind hatred".  I can only speak for myself, but my reasoning is sound, you may not agree with it but it is not motivated by emotion (not to worry I will get over it).

Go State!  

P.S. I agree with filbert that rivalry talk is creating some thread drift here.

Comment

2 quick facts.

Last night in Yankton Coach Stig said he wants every home game to have a "Hobo Days atmosphere". The Pride plays at the Hobo Day game, right? You might assume that Stig wants The Pride at all the home games. I didn't ask him that question specifically.

Second, he essentially said he'd consider playing USD again when all games have the "Hobo Days atmosphere". He then qualified his statement by saying that ultimately, it wasn't his decision. Not intending to contribute to drift thread, just providing information.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1
                              Here we go again.  The blind hatred for USD has clouded the hard core SDSU fans thinking into believing that USD will never be a rival to SDSU again.  Do you think Iowa / Iowa St. does not think they are rivals simply because they aren't in the same conference?  If they aren't rivals why do they play each other every year?  Obviously SDSU / USD is a rivalry and will be again soon.  Any time there is 2 instate schools they are rivals.  Kansas / Kansas St.;  Oklahoma / Oklahoma St;  Texas / Texas A&M;  Oregon / Oregon St.;  Washington / Washington St.  North Dakota / North Dakota St.    South Dakota / South Dakota St.   Don't try to tell me any of those schools don't think they are rivals with each other.  The SDSU / NDSU rivalry is just a rivalry of convience until USD / UND become Division I.
                              Blind hatred by both schools fans is the exact reason why I hope we don't play anytime in the foreseeable future. I'm sick of the crap and enjoy going to games were opposing schools aren't yelling at obscenities at each other the whole game and throwing dead animals on the field. I never said they aren't our rival, I said I don't want to play them anymore.

Comment

Actually, I think the only reason Iowa and Iowa State play is because the Iowa Legislature mandated they had to.
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X