Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pride won't play at November games?

Here's how it looks from the outside looking in:

SDSU--the university--doesn't care enough about their football team to have their marching band at the late-season football games. So, should we be surprised when the attendance drops off late in the season. Why should fans (many of whom drive for hours to attend the games) bother to bundle up and sit for three or four hours in a chilly November South Dakota afternoon, when the school's own band won't do it?

This decision reflects EXTREMELY poor judgment and/or planning on the part of the SDSU administration. McKinney's decision should have been overturned by his dean, or failing that by the President.

The most distressing thing for me is that the SDSU administration either doesn't know what this situation looks like to the wider world outside Brookings, or they just don't care.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Talked with several of the players and they stated that they were very disappointed that the band will not be there for the next 2 games, especially the NDSU game. They also said that after the game when they go in front of the band and student section and applaude them....maybe they should go in front of the season ticket holders and parents insted....... I think the band has pushed the wrong button on this decision. Looking forward to 2 very good football games the next 2 Saturdays

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!!
      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I think the best approach for the football fans is to show up in force at the game. We're there for the football, not the band. The band completes the picture but it looks like we'll have to make lots of noise without the band. If we have great attendance at the games, perhaps the band's leadership will realize they missed an opportunity (will they realize they risk losing the fan good will exhibited toward the band?).

I'm disappointed but will be at the next two games anyway. The band's decision is not affecting my decision to be in the stands.

Comment

Where is the Thread Killer. This has been beat to death since May. It has been decided. Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            The most distressing thing for me is that the SDSU administration either doesn't know what this situation looks like to the wider world outside Brookings, or they just don't care.
            Or there is more information that we don't know. I wish the band was going to be there, but, as I've said before I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that I have the athletic dep't.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
              Where is the Thread Killer. This has been beat to death since May. It has been decided. Enough said.
              Wish I would have seen this before my last post. Lock it up please.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Dead horse anyone?
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

AMEN!

I'm going to put my two cents in here, speaking as a football fan AND as a former Pride Member.

First, let me remind everyone that the Marching band is NOT part of the athletic department, but rather part of the MUSIC department. Most of these kids are not on scholarship; in fact most pay upwards of 200-dollars in tuition and fees to be part of the band.

Secondly, as part of the music program, these students are required to finish out the semester either in symphonic band or concert band. Since most of these kids are not music majors, they opt for concert band, since it's open to everyone. Why is this important? Concert band plays for the Fall Commencement! Plus you have instructors who are busy helping students with fall/winter recitals, as well as other musical ensembles that were put on the "back burner" due to marching band.

Thirdly, the "Pride" has the opportunity to once again go to California and represent our school at the Tournament of Roses parade. I don't know how many of you have ever planned a family vacation, but consider the logistics of sending a 400-piece band, instructors, and support staff halfway across the country. Instruments need to be fixed, uniforms need to be cleaned and repaired. For a group of this size, it takes time.

I've also been disturbed by folks on here who complain about that the Pride doesn't play during the last part of the second quarter and doesn't pick up momentum til halfway through the third quarter. Well, excuse me, but do you know how long it takes to get 400 kids down one flight of steps, without wrecking instruments or uniforms... getting set up outside the football field... all to be ready to go when halftime hits? If you can think of a more efficient way of getting them on and off the field, be my guest! Otherwise, shut the hell up about it!

Now, am I disappointed the "Pride" won't be there? Absolutely! Does that mean I'm going to curb my support for them? Not necessarily. You have to remember, that while our football team has historically only had flashes of brilliance, the "Pride of the Dakotas" have been a consistent and excellent representative of all that is good with our school.

Sorry for this long rant, but enough is enough. This band has been dumped on long enough, and I am disgusted with the so-called "supporters" of this board and this school who are having temper tantrums because the band won't play two games. We're better than that! Grow up and move on!
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    Wish I would have seen this before my last post. Lock it up please.

Shame on us for not thinking that this is important enough to at least discuss. Is SDSU a Division I institution or just pretending to be one?? Because at least IMHO, The Pride not showing up for the last two games of the year=D-II. NDSU's band driving down to play at CAS=D-I.

Go ahead and lock it up, I guess it's just not that important.

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

rep points given. EDIT: to JR1.

To Propar: Any new info on this thread in the last 2 weeks? Some people want to pull all support for the band to show them who butters their bread. Others think the band admin should do what it believes is in the best interest of the band, even if that doesn't help athletics. I am done with this thread. For real this time. No, I mean it.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                        AMEN!

I'm going to put my two cents in here, speaking as a football fan AND as a former Pride Member.

First, let me remind everyone that the Marching band is NOT part of the athletic department, but rather part of the MUSIC department. Most of these kids are not on scholarship; in fact most pay upwards of 200-dollars in tuition and fees to be part of the band.

Secondly, as part of the music program, these students are required to finish out the semester either in symphonic band or concert band. Since most of these kids are not music majors, they opt for concert band, since it's open to everyone. Why is this important? Concert band plays for the Fall Commencement! Plus you have instructors who are busy helping students with fall/winter recitals, as well as other musical ensembles that were put on the "back burner" due to marching band.

Thirdly, the "Pride" has the opportunity to once again go to California and represent our school at the Tournament of Roses parade. I don't know how many of you have ever planned a family vacation, but consider the logistics of sending a 400-piece band, instructors, and support staff halfway across the country. Instruments need to be fixed, uniforms need to be cleaned and repaired. For a group of this size, it takes time.

I've also been disturbed by folks on here who complain about that the Pride doesn't play during the last part of the second quarter and doesn't pick up momentum til halfway through the third quarter. Well, excuse me, but do you know how long it takes to get 400 kids down one flight of steps, without wrecking instruments or uniforms... getting set up outside the football field... all to be ready to go when halftime hits? If you can think of a more efficient way of getting them on and off the field, be my guest! Otherwise, shut the hell up about it!

Now, am I disappointed the "Pride" won't be there? Absolutely! Does that mean I'm going to curb my support for them? Not necessarily. You have to remember, that while our football team has historically only had flashes of brilliance, the "Pride of the Dakotas" have been a consistent and excellent representative of all that is good with our school.

Sorry for this long rant, but enough is enough. This band has been dumped on long enough, and I am disgusted with the so-called "supporters" of this board and this school who are having temper tantrums because the band won't play two games. We're better than that! Grow up and move on!
                        It's time for the Pride to get off the pedastal they have put themselves on. Excuses like the ones stated in this post make no argument as it can't be that hard for the Pride to spend an afternoon at Coughlin. Two Saturday afternoons playing at a football game is NOT going to affect the issues you stated all that much.

I've heard the Pride is 100K short of funds for their trip to Pasadena. Boy, you'd think a good way to help increase donations would be play these last two games??? By not playing the Pride is going to lose rather than gain donations. Good decision.

Comment

The band wants to play, but since McKinney has the instruments, he says no. At least that's what some of my friends in the Pride say. The others don't really care about playing at the football game.

Comment

for those really interested in letting someone know your thoughts...... James.McKinney@sdstate.edu is a good way to get in touch with the mythical creature known as the band director.

Comment

FYI. The University of Nebraska marching band (which, for the most part, couldn't carry The Pride's flutes) may not be quite as big (but close). They seem to manage maneuvering in and out of the stands for halftime shows just fine and with very little noticeable breaks in playing. Maybe the set up is a little more convenient at Memorial Stadium, but heck, they're back playing again before even they all get back to their seats in the stands after the halftime show. They're playing again before the third quarter even starts. Additionally, they do some type of performance for their families, friends and fans as they warm outside the music hall before games. Then they play while they march to the stadium. They do an on-field pre-game show. An on-field halftime show and they continue to play long after the game. And that's all done for every game, including ones that occur before school starts in the fall and ones that occur in late November.

Maybe the Nebraska band gets money from the athletic department. Maybe Fred needs to send some $$ The Pride's way. Regardless, if the NDSU band shows up at CAS a week from Saturday, I will question The Pride's pride, or at least that of their leadership.
                              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

AMEN!

None of those arguments address the issue of the very real possibility that NDSU's band will have driven the 3 hours with their instruments to play at OUR stadium when OUR band can't be bothered to walk a couple blocks. Also, not all of the guys who are padding up for the football team are on scholarship. They're out there freezing their butts off and getting beat up in practice without much of hope of actually playing in a game because they want to be a part of SDSU and the football program. To graduate, they still have to complete the mandatory credits of PE because playing football does not count towards your credit load (dance and weight lifting classes for this guy). Also, I'm not dumping on the band. They dumped on the football team and the university. I'm just rubbing them in their own mess. Only the band had the ability to prevent any backlash and they have decided to cut off their noses to spite their faces. I'm sure McKinney has his reasons for not playing, but I can't imagine any of them being good enough to excuse the band's absence. And, this is one dead horse that needs beating, IMO. We send out pamphlets and newsletters to potential donors expressing our move to D1 as an entire institution. Not having the band play the last 2 games is not a D1 move. As a member of the Campanile Society as an SDSU donor, the band won't be getting any of my money.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X