Playing USD again (football)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing USD again (football)

2) The Gateway Football Conference members have all commited to an eight-year stay in the league contract (yes, there is a buyout, but it is stiff), which means there likely won't be any openings in the Gateway until at least 2015. The Gateway is not going to expand to include 11 teams (even if the NCAA decides to allow 12 games.) Which in fact means USD and UND will have to find a home somewhere else.
    An over looked point. People say that Youngstown and Missouri State will move to FBS in a few years. They would have to be rolling in the dough to pay for the buy-out and another entrance fee in another established conference, plus the added expenses that such a move would entail. People always seem to talk with the idea of SDSU and USD eventually being in the same conference and playing every year, just like the old times. This thought always pervading in the back of their minds. That possibility might never happen. SDSU may never play usd every year, ever again. With the teams being in two seperate conferences for the forseeable future, schedule conflicts will be a problem. With the two teams being in different conferences and probably not playing every year, the rivalry is about as good as dead.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
      2) The Gateway Football Conference members have all commited to an eight-year stay in the league contract (yes, there is a buyout, but it is stiff), which means there likely won't be any openings in the Gateway until at least 2015. The Gateway is not going to expand to include 11 teams (even if the NCAA decides to allow 12 games.) Which in fact means USD and UND will have to find a home somewhere else.
      An over looked point. People say that Youngstown and Missouri State will move to FBS in a few years. They would have to be rolling in the dough to pay for the buy-out and another entrance fee in another established conference, plus the added expenses that such a move would entail. People always seem to talk with the idea of SDSU and USD eventually being in the same conference and playing every year, just like the old times. This thought always pervading in the back of their minds. That possibility might never happen. SDSU may never play usd every year, ever again. With the teams being in two seperate conferences for the forseeable future, schedule conflicts will be a problem. With the two teams being in different conferences and probably not playing every year, the rivalry is about as good as dead.

I'm not sure that the existing Gateway teams have to pay a buy-out fees. I thought that just related to SDSU and NDSU.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I would probably guess you are right on that.

Comment

So you saying that half the conference can walk away after 3-4 years and xDSU's are out their 250k commitment. You would think our administration would of made sure to protect our investment with the buy-out pertaining to all members. At least I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
            So you saying that half the conference can walk away after 3-4 years and xDSU's are out their 250k commitment. You would think our administration would of made sure to protect our investment with the buy-out pertaining to all members. At least I hope.

Correct. The other teams have leverage of the conference.

Comment

So we cant leave the confrence with out a stiff penlty, but the other teams can at no problem? Why make us stuck in the league if other teams don't have to stay as long. Seems wierd to me.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Where are our leaders that are so full of wisdom and unending knowledge? ;D ;D

Comment

Oh, please. We're now discussing the unfortunate and costly demise of the Gateway Football Conference?

Where the holy heck is THIS coming from? The Gateway just added two very strong institutions. If necessary, in the next couple of years, it can add another couple (yes, that's a backhanded compliment to UND and USD . . . sue me (sorry for the sue pun :-) ).

The Gateway Football Conference will be fine, for the foreseeable future.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by goon
                    So we cant leave the confrence with out a stiff penlty, but the other teams can at no problem?  Why make us stuck in the league if other teams don't have to stay as long.  Seems wierd to me.

I guess we could have stayed in the Great West, where there is no buy-out or automatic bid.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                      [quote author=goon link=1173573523/45#50 date=1174011552]So we cant leave the confrence with out a stiff penlty, but the other teams can at no problem?  Why make us stuck in the league if other teams don't have to stay as long.  Seems wierd to me.

I guess we could have stayed in the Great West, where there is no buy-out or automatic bid.[/quote]
                      If they are trying to stablize the whole confrence, would they not want all teams to have stiff buy outs. Im glad we are in the gateway and i hope it stays as strong as it has and doesnt start to schuffel teams around.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Anyways...

Ya da, Ya da, we probably won't be seeing usd on the football field for a long time. There will be more important games to see than any usd game and the seasons will more important than any one usd game.

Comment

This is easy, we will play USD again when it is most beneficial for SDSU. Its not hatred that is preventing the game from being played. The rivalry exists even without playing them on the athletic fields. It will be a huge game again, its just going to be a matter of time. Time heals most wounds, people in decision making positions change, and the world keep going around and around in the meantime.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                            If USD and UND had been a littler kinder to the State U's when we decided to go DI by playing us and not being so publically critical of our plans than I think there would be a better working relationship today and thus more opportunity to keep the rivalries going.
                            I actually think that how the USD/UND acted is irrelevant to the potential scheduling. If they had been the biggest supporters at the time SDSU/NDSU made the switch, they would still be non-counters for a couple of years and then non-conference opponents. When SDSU starts Gateway play, there really will be one open date a year. Start with 11 games and take away the 8 conference games. That leaves three, with hopefully one FBS payday per year. That leaves 2, and one game hopefully will be against a highly rated non-conference game and one against a FCS team that should be "winnable". USD/UND will fit into one or the other of the last two. Considering the fact that they will also be looking for games, scheduling wise it is going to be difficult to do down the road after they become a counter.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                              [quote author=JACKGUYII link=1173573523/30#44 date=1173998253]If USD and UND had been a littler kinder to the State U's when we decided to go DI by playing us and not being so publically critical of our plans than I think there would be a better working relationship today and thus more opportunity to keep the rivalries going.
                              I actually think that how the USD/UND acted is irrelevant to the potential scheduling. If they had been the biggest supporters at the time SDSU/NDSU made the switch, they would still be non-counters for a couple of years and then non-conference opponents. When SDSU starts Gateway play, there really will be one open date a year. Start with 11 games and take away the 8 conference games. That leaves three, with hopefully one FBS payday per year. That leaves 2, and one game hopefully will be against a highly rated non-conference game and one against a FCS team that should be "winnable". USD/UND will fit into one or the other of the last two. Considering the fact that they will also be looking for games, scheduling wise it is going to be difficult to do down the road after they become a counter.  [/quote]

I was speaking more of Basketball as we can always schedule exhibition games. I know in the eyes of the SDSU Athletic Administration the way the U's acted is not irrelevant. They will say publically the right things about them being non-counters, but in things I have heard there is more to it!

Comment

If anything I wouldn't mind playing UND again. The heartbreaker at home, I think it was our first transitional year and last in NCC. Tipped pass in end zone as UND went for two and some little UND reciever came down with it. I think that's how it went, I just now I spent the rest of the night drowning my sorrows. UND is actually a team we have a little unfinished business with. BUT, it's going to be a few years for that game.

Comment

Working...
                                X